First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Ok I think I am losing my mind! So yesterday I didn't need my truck so I pugged it in to my portable charger on a 110 outlet figured if I am not using it I will trickle charge the truck. (no I don't have my charger installed yet that happens in Jan) I have done this many times and I pick up about 20 miles overnight. I checked last night and I was at 51% however this morning when I check on the truck it was at 46% for a net loss of 5%. How do you lose rang while charging?? I have never had that happen before. Now it is litterally 0 degrees F outside but still that should not have affected it like that. Also I had my app shutdown (I do that to keep it from using all my cell phone battery) so it wasn't waking the truck up periodically at night. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Rivian R1T R1S Losing range while charging??? Screenshot_20221222-081347

On a side note it is cold outside this is frost on the inside of my windows not the outside (also this also proves I wasn't running my climate system all night)

Rivian R1T R1S Losing range while charging??? IMG_20221222_081137787
Sponsored

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
It’s possibly common in ultra cold temperature. Lithium batteries can’t be charged below 32F (otherwise it damages the battery), so I am guessing Rivian was spending a lot of energy just to keep the large pack warm.

This happened to me couple of days back on a 6.6kw level 2 charger. Outside temperature was -4F or lower.

Rivian R1T R1S Losing range while charging??? 47BDBCCA-03D6-4DB2-ABFC-C2FD03486D52

Rivian R1T R1S Losing range while charging??? 909CF61B-CE55-4AAE-BA58-FC542BDC4098

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What do the session details inside the truck say about where the energy went?

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there a way to see the history? I forgot to check right away and charged couple of times after that.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
20221221_081107.jpg

At 8amps. This started after recent update (temps are also colder)
If it’s doing that while charging and you aren’t trying to stay warm in the cab try turning off HVAC, music, select camp mode and the all power off option. That will ensure all power is either directed to the battery for charge or battery warming.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lithium batteries’ charging temp is 0C but use/discharge temp is -20C. So, battery heater has to work to heat it 20C more just to enable charging. So in such cold if you don’t really have access to any faster charging, maybe it’s better not to charge at all.

Btw, what are counted as accessories? Consumption for that seems really high!

Plummer43

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Lithium batteries’ charging temp is 0C but use/discharge temp is -20C. So, battery heater has to work to heat it 20C more just to enable charging. So in such cold if you don’t really have access to any faster charging, maybe it’s better not to charge at all.

Btw, what are counted as accessories? Consumption for that seems really high!
That was the highest for accessories that I've seen. Nothing was on, no gear guard.

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I have not checked.... actually now that I think about that I'm not sure I know how to check!

Sponsored

OP
OP
johstacy

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
wow! spends all it's power trying to heat up the batteries! I wish I could get details on this

Rivian R1T R1S Losing range while charging??? IMG_20221222_114530449_MP

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Last year I left my Tesla unplugged outside on a cold night (like -25 F) and the cold weather vampire ate 40%.

I suspect that your negative 5% might have been worse if you hadn't been plugged in. Vehicle needs to heat the batteries whether you charge it or not because very cold temps can damage it.

Last edited:

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
wow! spends all it's power trying to heat up the batteries! I wish I could get details on this

IMG_20221222_114530449_MP.jpg
Try what I posted above. Turn off HVAC, music, turn on camp mode and select the all power off option on the right side of the camp screen. You shouldn’t be using anywhere near that much power for accessories or battery temps alone. Sometimes the truck seems to not realize there’s no one in it and keeps everything operating at full power rather than going to sleep. Doing the above steps tells it to turn everything off.

I have charged a number of times in temps close to 0° and mine doesn’t use anywhere near that extra power draw.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Last year I left my Tesla unplugged outside on a cold night (like -25 F) and the cold weather vampire ate 40%.

I suspect that your negative 5% might have been worse if you hadn't been plugged in. Vehicle needs to heat the batteries whether you charge it or not because very cold temps can damage it.
I don’t know how Rivian does it but charge and discharge minimum temperature is different for Lithium batteries. You can still use the battery at -4F but to charge the battery it has to be at or above 32F. So, if your charging don’t deliver enough power to heat batteries 36F higher, than maybe not charging is better.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Wow this is incredibly bad... now reconsidering the Rivian for my cold Colorado winters.
Sponsored