First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

Some quotes from the video. I knew Lordstown was trying to be the vehicle with the least moving parts, but didn't know they also beat Rivian at using independent motors/ wheel...

"Escencially the engines, the motors engines, are in the wheels."

"Until this, nobody's actually done it. Having the motors on each wheel."
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

Some quotes from the video. I knew Lordstown was trying to be the vehicle with the least moving parts, but didn't know they also beat Rivian at using independent motors/ wheel...

"Escencially the engines, the motors engines, are in the wheels."

"Until this, nobody's actually done it. Having the motors on each wheel."
AFAIK, no other production vehicle has used hub motors which therefor put them "on each wheel". Rivian uses a motor for each wheel, but they use a driveshaft to the wheel itself. The motors are inboard and not on the wheels.

OP
OP
Babbuino

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
AFAIK, no other production vehicle has used hub motors which therefor put them "on each wheel". Rivian uses a motor for each wheel, but they use a driveshaft to the wheel itself. The motors are inboard and not on the wheels.
Thanks for clarifying

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Unsprung weight is bad, and 4 hub motors worth could make it ride terribly. Plus the speed limit of 80mph- I wonder what the efficiency will be like at highway speeds. For sure it’s a cool concept, no drive components at all beyond the wheel hubs really simplifies things and makes the potential to retrofit older cars quite interesting. But then again, you’re going to have to run lots of wiring to each hub motor, and it’s going to be flexing with the suspension and potentially work hardening the thick gauge motor wires.
I hope they succeed, it’s gonna be an exciting next 5 years in the ev industry that’s for sure!

Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

OP
OP
Babbuino

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Lordstown CEO interview

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Have they ever explained how they're mitigating the downsides of hub motors? Seems like they have some decent investors in the mix who would have wanted that questions answered.
Sponsored