Looking to buy an R1S Launch edition spot/vehicle

tgm

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f250, expedition
I know that technically, the Launch edition deposits or places in line are nontransferrable, but I figure if someone has a launch edition that they are in line for, but not wanting, we could work something out where I buy it from them at the time they take ownership.

Any other ideas/suggestions is appreciated.

thanks!
Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Depends on how late they end up being, or if late at all. Many of us have competing orders on other EVs to take if need a car sooner.

A good deal may to be paying website sticker price + fees & taxes if the person take ownership as they will still get the $7500 tax credit - that can't be transferred to a 2nd buyer.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Nah, it's a free market out there, perfectly fine for some that want one to pay more.
I know it will happen, I just don’t think it should be facilitated on the forum.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I'm in line for a launch edition R1S (meaning I have a reservation) but I almost certainly don't want it due to the fact that I always intended to get the 400 mile variant. When we found out in November that there would be no 400 mile R1S at launch I reached out to customer service to see about my options. They reiterated what the notice said about a longer range version being announced after launch but for now I should keep my reservation. So I kept it and configured a launch edition. First continuing to have a reservation allows me to expect continued notifications, company engagement, and eventually a test drive. Second it keeps my place in line for when a longer range version does become available. While I am not interested in trying to trade my reservation (because it is specifically disallowed) I would entertain selling my launch edition after taking ownership to someone that would be happy with thee 300 mile variant.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Nah, it's a free market out there, perfectly fine for some that want one to pay more.
Agreed, its free market. Sooner or later its better to create separate category and allow forum admins to get some cut on the transaction.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just for another wrinkle, this is on the Rivian Support site.... Do not recall seeing that there before.

Rivian R1T R1S Looking to buy an R1S Launch edition spot/vehicle 1621787390549

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I know it will happen, I just don’t think it should be facilitated on the forum.
I understand what you are saying, but this is a forum for Rivian vehicles that they don’t make yet. Where else could anybody get some information from people who want to buy this truck when it does finally come out? Just saying.

OP
OP

tgm

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f250, expedition
As the author of the original post with nothing but good intentions of buying one that someone may not want due to range or various other reason?

I'm honestly curious as to the negative-of the forum Facilitating this?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I actually think there should be a category and maybe a sticky specifically for this and LE holders who may not want theirs. Rivian has given zero indication that they will sell cancelled orders (I suspect they want to minimize the number of launch editions). Why not provide people the opportunity to get trade out from the LE position and someone to get in on one? That seems reasonable.

Would I pay extra to someone beyond what they paid? No. Would I like to get a launch edition ? Yes. My preferred trim level has changed, so the LE fits what I want better. Just like some people want the 400 mile version.

Tbh, I'm curious what CS would say if two reservation holders contacted them wanting to swap their reservations. If Rivian is reasonable, they should facilitate that.

OP
OP

tgm

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f250, expedition
@bajadahl sent you a message. I'm in line for regular R1s...... I don't need the longer range. 300 is about my max I'll need. Not sure if they'll let us swap but feel free to reach out using contact Info in PM. would love to discuss purchasing after you take delivery.
Thanks!

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I won't be surprised at all if you see these for sale second hand for $100k+ within a week of deliveries. It happens with literally every limited product on earth.

And I'm thrilled for both parties involved, they both get what they wanted.
Sponsored