Long Way Up

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
Oddly enough, I'd never heard of the "Long Way Up" documentary on Apple TV+ until somone mentioned it at a Rivian / cars & coffee event yesterday. I was already aware of Ewan McGregor's interest in electric vehicles after seeing a video of him driving his EV West-converted '54 oval window Beetle a couple years ago. It was fascinating to see the early R1T prototypes used as production vehicles, supporting the electric motorcycles used by Ewan and his friend Charlie. Even more interesting was noticing the split along the C-pillar in the large steel side panels.

I had to go back and re-watch the Rivian instagram story from a couple days ago just to spy a glance of Brian Gase's "#3" VIN R1T... it did not have that same split, which in hindsight was probably a byproduct of those first two vehicles being rushed into production.

Anyone know any other backstory I might be missing there? Any other "easter eggs" to look out for in the show (currently on episode 2)?
Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
No "Easter Eggs" but my wife was surprised that she enjoyed the show and it totally changed her opinion (for the better!) of Ewan McGregor. It helped keep my enthusiasm for Rivian alive when I hit the 3 year mark and had no delivery date.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

They added the rear spoiler after the initial prototypes as well. If you watch the Rivian story with David, the shows producer, he sees the production rivian a year later and they talk about some of the differences and lessons learned from the trip through South America.

Long Way Up! and the Long Way series in general is pretty fantastic. I recommend watching all three.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It's been awhile since I've watched it, but I know Rivian installed over 200 charging spots for the trip. Many were temporary but a good number became permanent.

Sponsored

WhidbeyIsland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
I'd very much like to watch it.. Is 'Long way up' still only available on Apple TV..?

Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

They added the rear spoiler after the initial prototypes as well. If you watch the Rivian story with David, the shows producer, he sees the production rivian a year later and they talk about some of the differences and lessons learned from the trip through South America.

Long Way Up! and the Long Way series in general is pretty fantastic. I recommend watching all three.
I did not see it until reviewing this video but they blacked out the front silver/chrome plate on this black on black truck, but left the back one alone

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress

Watched it twice and on my 3rd time in case I missed something. Love Ewan McGregger and Charlie Borman. I’ve watched all their shows..😎

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I love that series as well. Have watched all of them. I keep hoping they do one in Australia - call it the Long Way Down Under. I think season 1 was my favorite...

Sponsored

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

That series is how I learned about Rivian, and had I even dreamed of ownership at that point, I would have put in my preorder much earlier. 😅

But I had watched Long Way Round and Long Way Down when they originally aired, so I was all in on Long Way Up when it came out.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Yup, that's basically why I pre-ordered my Rivian as well.

Also also why I don't hesitate to do a full hard reset on my truck every now and again when something starts acting up, lol.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I've actually been wanting to rewatch the series since having gotten my R1T, just to see it's origin story.
Sponsored