nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
90-95% gap!

Everyone has been forecasting large EV growth. Even more though, the growth projections are growing each year. Companies (miners, battery companies, EV mfrs, etc) are investing for one growth scenario, then a year later the supply gap looks even bigger due to updated demand projections, rather than the new projected supply helping narrow the gap. Then factor in all the expansions are taking longer and costing more, partly due to pandemic issues, partly just startups do that. Still, I've not heard a 90+% gap number before.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

According to this article, "The car company’s 3.3 million-square-foot factory has the capacity to build 150,000 vehicles a year but currently isn’t running a full five-day week."

I didn't know that the factory "isn’t running a full five-day week." Ouch.
Full five day week.....so not building vehicles on the weekends.....

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

According to this article, "The car company’s 3.3 million-square-foot factory has the capacity to build 150,000 vehicles a year but currently isn’t running a full five-day week."

Full five day week.....so not building vehicles on the weekends.....no
90-95% gap!

Everyone has been forecasting large EV growth. Even more though, the growth projections are growing each year. Companies (miners, battery companies, EV mfrs, etc) are investing for one growth scenario, then a year later the supply gap looks even bigger due to updated demand projections, rather than the new projected supply helping narrow the gap. Then factor in all the expansions are taking longer and costing more, partly due to pandemic issues, partly just startups do that. Still, I've not heard a 90+% gap number before.
So more delays likely to come

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Full five day week.....so not building vehicles on the weekends.....no

So more delays likely to come
I agree, more delays ahead for the next 2-3 years or more. Battery shortages are absolutely not a surprise. Kind of a ‘duh’ moment.

As a small player Rivian will probably be more impacted than Tesla, Ford, GM and many others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AllInev

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Full five day week.....so not building vehicles on the weekends.....
The article claims Rivian's factory "isn't" (as in "is not") running a full five-day week. Not sure why you're mentioning weekends?

OP
OP
AllInev

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T

Sponsored

Sharpobjects4321

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Attorney

he literally said this on the 3/10 call a month ago. they only run the lines at max capacity so they shut them down for "shifts and/or days" at a time because they only run them as fast as they can. RJ claims they have capacity for 50k and that is the level they run the lines at. its been said no this forum and on the reddit subs probably tens if not a hundred times. they have a supply issue not scaling issue.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Considering their partnership with Samsung ended, odds are pretty s00n
I believe it was only the joint manufacturing possibility that didn't pan out. That wasn't supposed to impact SDI supplying batteries to Rivian which is the only thing that would impact near term supplies. Rivian still needs to build out the Georgia factory before they get into producing any of their own batteries and that's a few years down the road.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

RJ brought this up during the end of quarter share holders meeting. He commented on supply shortages causing the plant to have to constantly Start, Stop due to component supply shortages etc.

Frustrating for all.
Sponsored