Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So, good news with Spotify integration, you don't need your cell phone. You login to Spotify on the App on the Rivian interface, and it then sync's with your Spotify account - just like another interface, ie your phone, computer, TV, etc.

This means:
1. You don't need to constantly take your phone out to plug-in like most non-wirelss CarPlay installations.
2. You don't stream over BT, so we may have access to Spotify HiFi which is cool, but I am personally happy w/ my lossy streams and far worse stereo
3. You can download music to your Car and if outside of cell service can play your downloaded songs or playlists. I do this all the time with Spotify via CarPlay on my phone.

So nothing shocking but overall good news.

Other notes:
1. TuneIn is pretty cool, but you need to curate the stations to discover which ones you like
2. I **did not** get an answer for what happens if you choose not to pay for the built-in AT&T service on your car. I'll probably just pay for it with Rivian Membership, but others might want to find out. Will the car default to your Phone via bluetooth or a phone hotspot?

Semi-off topic question:
1. Has anyone received a text message via the Rivian UI? How does that work? Have you responded to one?
2. Text over BT has been around a while but no idea how Rivian has implemented.

I am not sure what you mean by these. Perhaps this is true in your area. Where I live, all of the FM radio stations simulcast their standard station along with the HD equivalent. For some stations, such as KOSI101, the use the additional HD sub-bands for things like a dedicated Christmas music station at the holidays. Or, our public radio splits the sub-bands into one being dedicated for talk/news, one for all classical music, and one for all local music.
Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
@hola29 - did you confirm with Rivian that this still works even if you are not paying to get the LTE through the Rivian membership? When I was at the hub the person I talked to (Wes) said that Spotify stops without paying for the LTE.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Unfortunately they were not sure...So the big question is what happens when you stop paying for built-in LTE? How much functionality do you lose? Maps? Spotify? Can the car use your phone? What is the BT streaming interface like?

Sounds like a good question for CS online...

One note is we all get this for a year so they have some time to figure it out. I personally plan on being a Rivian Member as long as I own a Rivian but still an interesting question.

@hola29 - did you confirm with Rivian that this still works even if you are not paying to get the LTE through the Rivian membership? When I was at the hub the person I talked to (Wes) said that Spotify stops without paying for the LTE.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
When I spoke to them at the hub on Friday, they definitively set maps will always work. Even if you’re not paying for the LTE subscription. The question Was around Spotify specifically

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

When I spoke to them at the hub on Friday, they definitively set maps will always work. Even if you’re not paying for the LTE subscription. The question Was around Spotify specifically
There will likely be limitations to the map without a subscription, such as no satellite view or traffic data. I find I use the map in my Tesla for traffic information far more often than navigation.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There will likely be limitations to the map without a subscription, such as no satellite view or traffic data. I find I use the map in my Tesla for traffic information far more often than navigation.
I would expect no EV charging info, either -- an important part of route planning with an EV.

Some people visiting the Venice Hub also reported that employees were saying that routing was processed in the cloud, as well... So I wonder if they were incorrect, or if actually calculating any route will not work without a subscription?

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I was one of those people @CommodoreAmiga based on
My October visit to the hub. I guess it remains to be seen.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Video has been pulled down?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

CarPlay is the least Apple like interface (my first computer was a First gen Mac 128k in 1985) they have ever designed.
/me laughs in Newton OS 1.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So, good news with Spotify integration, you don't need your cell phone. You login to Spotify on the App on the Rivian interface, and it then sync's with your Spotify account - just like another interface, ie your phone, computer, TV, etc.

This means:
1. You don't need to constantly take your phone out to plug-in like most non-wirelss CarPlay installations.
2. You don't stream over BT, so we may have access to Spotify HiFi which is cool, but I am personally happy w/ my lossy streams and far worse stereo
3. You can download music to your Car and if outside of cell service can play your downloaded songs or playlists. I do this all the time with Spotify via CarPlay on my phone.

So nothing shocking but overall good news.

Other notes:
1. TuneIn is pretty cool, but you need to curate the stations to discover which ones you like
2. I **did not** get an answer for what happens if you choose not to pay for the built-in AT&T service on your car. I'll probably just pay for it with Rivian Membership, but others might want to find out. Will the car default to your Phone via bluetooth or a phone hotspot?

Semi-off topic question:
1. Has anyone received a text message via the Rivian UI? How does that work? Have you responded to one?
2. Text over BT has been around a while but no idea how Rivian has implemented.
also of note, they told me explicitly that yes, spotify accounts are linked to driver profiles. Which is good news. (Tesla, for example, only allows one spotify account)

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
Without the option of choosing to use or not to use Sirius XM, Android or CarPlay it is just another “Ok” media system. Entertainment system choices are good. Being told I can’t make that choice for my own good or because I really don’t need it is bad. Simple logic to me.
Sponsored