Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Qualcomm has lossless bluetooth audio tech...be nice if that was somehow implemented in Rivian vehicles.
It (meaning aptX Lossless) would also need to be supported in whatever streaming device you plan to use. And the term "Lossless" in this context means CD quality audio though aptX Lossless would support 1mbps or more. This most likely won't be enough for lossless 3D or spatial audio, however and aptX Lossless requires specific software AND hardware to work, further reducing the likelihood of acceptance.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Interesting thing I noticed as trolling through the GUI: you can disable HD radio tuning. I don't know why this is there since it's either a "it's there and you use or fall back to standard FM" kind of thing, but I noticed it and thought it was curious.
I've seen other vehicles where this can be toggled, as well.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well luckily, Rivian made the correct decision to use their resources creating a UI design for their specific electric vehicle, and not one designed to work w/ dozens of ICE cars, screen, and integration design compromises. So chalk me up to the group that agrees with them and look forward to ditching CarPlay for eva eva ;)

I bought the very first head unit to integrate CarPlay (Alpine ILX-107) immediately when released prior to most/all automaker support, and have used Mac's and iOS largely exclusively for the better part of 35 years. So, Apple fanboy I am...CarPlay not so much as you can tell....

I still disagree with you. I want the option of using CarPlay when I want to. I think it’s wrong to suggest I’m better off without the option of using CarPlay when I want to because you dont like it

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I currently have to plug my phone in every time I want car play, and its a drag...I am also listening to Spotify streaming which is not lossless.

If I can get similar quality and my phone stay in my pocket that's a win. To be clear I have not done a market study, but I would foolishly hazard a guess that the vast majority of car audio listeners are not focused on lossless audio quality, and would likely benefit from not having to fool around with their Phone every time they enter their vehicle.

Personally, I think Rivian is doing exactly the right thing with both CarPlay and BT in terms of features available at launch, and would not be surprised if plugging your phone in works now or soon with an OTA update for folks that want that additional hassle for lossless...

I don't think it is about USB sticks but more about a direct connection to your phone so you can achieve better audio than a Bluetooth connection.
????

CMR

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes AMG E53 cabriolet, BMW X3
Occupation
Physician
One reason that I am concerned about the absence of CarPlay, is that I like to use Waze and other apps while I am driving. I’d hate to be without Waze on long highway trips. I greatly appreciate the crowd sourced speed trap information. Very useful.

Regarding Spotify, does anyone know if the Spotify setup will allow us to store music in the car’s memory drive or allow us to access Spotify music data stored on our phones? I’d hate to have to rely on cellular access. I’ll be driving the truck to areas with spotty service.

Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You can currently download tracks and/or entire playlists locally on Spotifyon your Phone so no need for cell service if you download your music to your phone.

I’ll play with it tomorrow but if Rivian has the Spotify App native, then it would potentially leave my phone completely out of the stream equation. Rivian comes with its own cell service, so store locally. Not sure how they have it setup.

One reason that I am concerned about the absence of CarPlay, is that I like to use Waze and other apps while I am driving. I’d hate to be without Waze on long highway trips. I greatly appreciate the crowd sourced speed trap information. Very useful.

Regarding Spotify, does anyone know if the Spotify setup will allow us to store music in the car’s memory drive or allow us to access Spotify music data stored on our phones? I’d hate to have to rely on cellular access. I’ll be driving the truck to areas with spotty service.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
So bottom line, is there any way to play lossless audio in a Rivian at all? (i.e. Amazon Music HD, Tidal, and I thought I read Spotify is releasing HiFi late this year?).

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
You can currently download tracks and/or entire playlists locally on Spotifyon your Phone so no need for cell service if you download your music to your phone.

I’ll play with it tomorrow but if Rivian has the Spotify App native, then it would potentially leave my phone completely out of the stream equation. Rivian comes with its own cell service, so store locally. Not sure how they have it setup.
When you ask, ask them if Spotify still works without the Rivian subscription account for the LTE. That was the part I wasn’t clear on.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sure thing! I am confused too, but will try to get info best as I can. If you just login to your account w/ the onboard Rivian App that would be ideal - no streaming or phone involved, playlist downloaded from the sync'd cloud account, and can use any HiFi Spotify adds in the future. Or it could be like CarPlay and just use your phone...less ideal.

But, of course what they if you don't buy the AT&T package after a year. I probably would just pay for it for convenience into perpetuity but curious how they answer.

When you ask, ask them if Spotify still works without the Rivian subscription account for the LTE. That was the part I wasn’t clear on.

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
I've seen other vehicles where this can be toggled, as well.
Tesla has that, I prefer to not listen to HD as it's just talk radio, when HD loses signal for a bit there's a delay either coming back or switching to standard.

Tune-in on the other hand is great.

Sponsored

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
Anyone know why the video was pulled?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So bottom line, is there any way to play lossless audio in a Rivian at all? (i.e. Amazon Music HD, Tidal, and I thought I read Spotify is releasing HiFi late this year?).
Spotify is releasing Hifi. You should be able to use Tidal or Amazon Music though Alexa (no UI), though I'm not sure how you'd manage quality with the latter two.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Tesla has that, I prefer to not listen to HD as it's just talk radio, when HD loses signal for a bit there's a delay either coming back or switching to standard.

Tune-in on the other hand is great.
I am not sure what you mean by these. Perhaps this is true in your area. Where I live, all of the FM radio stations simulcast their standard station along with the HD equivalent. For some stations, such as KOSI101, the use the additional HD sub-bands for things like a dedicated Christmas music station at the holidays. Or, our public radio splits the sub-bands into one being dedicated for talk/news, one for all classical music, and one for all local music.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I am not sure what you mean by these. Perhaps this is true in your area. Where I live, all of the FM radio stations simulcast their standard station along with the HD equivalent. For some stations, such as KOSI101, the use the additional HD sub-bands for things like a dedicated Christmas music station at the holidays. Or, our public radio splits the sub-bands into one being dedicated for talk/news, one for all classical music, and one for all local music.
I love HD radio

(1) Quality

(2) All the subchannels, especially if you listen to NPR/news. There's a ton of them.
Sponsored