Sponsored

Lockable Storage

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Anyone know if the middle storage area is lockable by key? Or any other storage for that matter? I'm hoping there's some sort of storage space that can be secured and not easily opened with a fob, app, or main display.

You Texans might know what I'm getting at...
Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Anyone know if the middle storage area is lockable by key? Or any other storage for that matter? I'm hoping there's some sort of storage space that can be secured and not easily opened with a fob, app, or main display.

it would be an easy thing to add a PIN lock to it in the software, you should contact support and request that! It’s definitely controlled by the app and main display.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
it would be an easy thing to add a PIN lock to it in the software, you should contact support and request that! It’s definitely controlled by the app and main display.
This is true, Tesla added a pin to lock the glove box in a recent update (maybe the last year or so) and it was backward compatible to my 2016.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

I have a biometric lockbox at home, we Arizonan's know exactly what you mean. :like:

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Anyone know if the middle storage area is lockable by key? Or any other storage for that matter?
Our front trunk is a clean, lockable space large enough to fit a half-dozen full grocery bags or two full-sized coolers. It opens and closes automatically with the app, fob, in-vehicle controls or an exterior button under the lightbar.

If the R1T had a mud room, it would be the Gear Tunnel. At 65'' long, it’s where you throw slushy snowboards and sandy beach blankets to keep the mess out of the cab. The doors, which also serve as a seat or a step for accessing the roof, can be opened automatically using the app, in-vehicle controls or buttons on the bed rail.

Underneath the bed is another versatile and lockable storage space.

Two lockable tonneau cover options turn the entire bed into an extra 29 cubic feet of secure, weatherproof storage space. Our powered cover retracts using the app, in-vehicle controls or a button on the bed rail.

I think that leaves you with the manual tonneau cover and the spare tire storage space.

Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I don’t think it needs to be specific to Texans either. Plenty of long hunting rifles will fit just great in the Gear Tunnel, would be nice to be able to keep them under a little tighter of a lock.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
It would be nice if they implemented a “valet mode” where it would secure the storage so that it can’t be unlocked from the screen, and also limit the speed. My Tesla has this, but I’ve never used it and don’t remember what all it locks down other than speed limiting it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Don't they make lockboxes that slip into center consoles and bolt to the floor? I think I've seen some that go under the seat, too.

However, I'd avoid leaving a firearm unattended in a vehicle, if possible. It's too easy to break into vehicles.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Don't they make lockboxes that slip into center consoles and bolt to the floor? I think I've seen some that go under the seat, too.

However, I'd avoid leaving a firearm unattended in a vehicle, if possible. It's too easy to break into vehicles.
whoa whos talking about firearms. I want to make sure my home made Jerky doesn't get eaten by the kids or valet and is easily accessible in a hurry from the drivers seat preferably next to my right hand. :cool:

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ve emailed both Locker Down and ConsoleVault companies, manufacturers of secure storage vaults for center consoles of vehicles, to see if Rivian is on their radar - haven’t heard back from either. This concerns me, as I like to carry my collection of vintage BIC pens with me wherever I go and I need a secure place to store them to prevent losing yet another cap.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
whoa whos talking about firearms. I want to make sure my home made Jerky doesn't get eaten by the kids or valet and is easily accessible in a hurry from the drivers seat preferably next to my right hand. :cool:
perhaps a jerky holster and concealed jerky-carrying-permit, if necessary in your jurisdiction, would be prudent?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Great topic about lockable storage. I remember seeing that Rivian had storage beneath the front two seats, but I don't know if it's lockable or if it is a feature that will actually make it to production.

Rivian R1T R1S Lockable Storage Driver-storage-638x476

I actually channeled by inner @jimcgov3 and chatted into CS, but no details were available about whether the storage drawers are still there (and whether they're lockable). Answer was that they would make note for when my Guide reaches out, and I said that I have some time open this afternoon...

Best case scenario would be locked by default, unlocked according to driver profile when in the vehicle, and lockable/unlockable via Alexa "safe" word, aka "BEEF JERKY"!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I need a secure place to store them to prevent losing yet another cap.
Definitely prevent loss, or close at hand in case you need to bust one.
Sponsored