First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So weird back in the early Prius days I would have thought Toyota would lead the way. But they rested on their success and Called it a day.
It sure felt that way, didn’t it? They got passed by every other automaker now. Even now, despite their promises to sell EVs s00n, their rhetoric does not back that up. They complain about battery tech or charging infrastructure every chance they get. I think they will release plug in hybrid versions of their off road vehicles first. I’m sure many will love it, but most of us are looking to the next thing now.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Toyota is so so behind on EV adoption I wouldn’t be surprised if they partnered with an auto manufacturer like Honda did with GM to get the ball rolling. It’s a shame we used to be a big time Toyota Lexus family but while reliable their non hybrid vehicles are inefficient and tech is ancient (minus some of their finally updated 2022 models).
They are already trying that with the BZ4X, which was made with Subaru. The wheels are literally falling off those cars. It’s been a total disaster. When they released it there was nothing exciting about it at all. It seemed like both Toyota and Subaru just doing it because everyone was pushing them, not because they wanted to do it right.

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If Toyota had a real EV truck in development I would have probably waited because I trust their vehicles so much. My Tacoma is just bulletproof. I realized they are truly waiting as long as possible and finding every excuse in The book to NOT produce an EV truck. Oh well… Rivian for the win! I know you are enjoying the hell out of yours!
It’s beyond enjoyable…🥳😇

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

It sure felt that way, didn’t it? They got passed by every other automaker now. Even now, despite their promises to sell EVs s00n, their rhetoric does not back that up. They complain about battery tech or charging infrastructure every chance they get. I think they will release plug in hybrid versions of their off road vehicles first. I’m sure many will love it, but most of us are looking to the next thing now.
I am also starting to smh at manufacturers that build EV built on an ICE vehicle. The body and infrastructure are engineered to house an ICE but the repurposed the same design for a vehicle that has a completely different structure. This is why I love rivian, they have never made an ICE and so the thinking and design are all fresh (ie gear tunnel)

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I am also starting to smh at manufacturers that build EV built on an ICE vehicle. The body and infrastructure are engineered to house an ICE but the repurposed the same design for a vehicle that has a completely different structure. This is why I love rivian, they have never made an ICE and so the thinking and design are all fresh (ie gear tunnel)
Same. If you’re going to transition why not maximize the benefits of going electric.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I couldn’t agree more. They kept or improved on many regular truck features but like you said, they weren’t bound by the old thinking. I guess the extreme version of that is the Cybertruck :giggle:

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Neat discussion here about Toyota falling behind. Remember they lobbied against EV friendly laws and credits. Their reliability advantage depends on engines. (Their only electric car got a stop sale recall for wheels falling off - sound familiar?) I'm seriously wondering if Toyota will be a player in 10 years.
And my condolences to those of you that have driven Tacomas and 4Runners for many years. Had a new Tacoma rental when I shipped my ZR2 and it was a hot pile of trash - especially the famed driveline. It could last forever but I wouldn't want to punish myself that long. Once people actually test drive other brands, Toyota will be in trouble. Going slow in EV market will lose many customers...

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I was hoping for a PIH Tundra for the MY22 refresh. When that turned out to be fantasy, I put my deposit on the Rivian.

As far as Toyota’s lack of EVs is concerned - they put a shirt-ton of money into hydrogen fuel cell, and are betting on it for the long-term. Unfortunately for them, that means they’ll need to milk the hybrid train for many years until H2 becomes practical unless they change course. Way easier to make batteries and get electricity to points around the country (at least today) than deploy hydrogen filling stations … especially after the Santa Clara generation and transport refueling facility exploded 3 years ago.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Toyota will be revealing their new Prius very soon. Toyota leadership bet the bank on hybrid powertrains. They are now behind the competition regarding BEV’s.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Neat discussion here about Toyota falling behind. Remember they lobbied against EV friendly laws and credits. Their reliability advantage depends on engines. (Their only electric car got a stop sale recall for wheels falling off - sound familiar?) I'm seriously wondering if Toyota will be a player in 10 years.
And my condolences to those of you that have driven Tacomas and 4Runners for many years. Had a new Tacoma rental when I shipped my ZR2 and it was a hot pile of trash - especially the famed driveline. It could last forever but I wouldn't want to punish myself that long. Once people actually test drive other brands, Toyota will be in trouble. Going slow in EV market will lose many customers...
Your description is pretty accurate! I think most of us who love their Tacomas and 4 Runners do so despite the well known shortcomings. It is sluggish as hell. And even my 2017 still has drum brakes in the rear!

I think Toyota is miscalculating that it will be easy for them to just hop into the EV space when all the infrastructure is better and be successful. It certainly didn't work that way for Ford or GM. Both had a surprising amount of trouble with their first EVs. They should know better too, given the dumpster fire their Bz4x is. They are being left behind. They have plenty of resources to catch up, but it doesn't really seem to fit their style to be in that position. They keep hyping the next gen Prius like anyone will be excited for it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I was hoping for a PIH Tundra for the MY22 refresh. When that turned out to be fantasy, I put my deposit on the Rivian.

As far as Toyota’s lack of EVs is concerned - they put a shirt-ton of money into hydrogen fuel cell, and are betting on it for the long-term. Unfortunately for them, that means they’ll need to milk the hybrid train for many years until H2 becomes practical unless they change course. Way easier to make batteries and get electricity to points around the country (at least today) than deploy hydrogen filling stations … especially after the Santa Clara generation and transport refueling facility exploded 3 years ago.
I met someone who actually got to daily drive the Mirai as a "test customer" and they didn't seem too impressed with it on any level. They basically said Toyota must be insane to think this is going to work.

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
The irony, on my side, is that I replaced my Tundra(2003) with R1T 🥳
Well - you are a braver man than me. I have been driving my 2004 Tundra for 18 years. Even at the of 57 it’s only 3rd car that I have ever owned. I received my R1T less than a week ago. However, I just can’t let Tundra go -at least not yet. I am holding on to her until I know that the R1T is going to be reliable. I live 5.5 hours from the Richmond SC.

Honestly, I know that Trucks hate it when you anthropomorphize them, but I cant help but wonder what the old school Tundra and the cutting edge R1T say to each other throughout the quite night hours.

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Well - you are a braver man than me. I have been driving my 2004 Tundra for 18 years. Even at the of 57 it’s only 3rd car that I have ever owned. I received my R1T less than a week ago. However, I just can’t let Tundra go -at least not yet. I am holding on to her until I know that the R1T is going to be reliable. I live 5.5 hours from the Richmond SC.

Honestly, I know that Trucks hate it when you anthropomorphize them, but I cant help but wonder what the old school Tundra and the cutting edge R1T say to each other throughout the quite night hours.
Only thing I can think of that would be…R1T is a different beast/world than tundra and having over 22.000 miles driven in the last 8 months is a very interesting experience. I still believe that R1T is over engineered and way too powerful but I am enjoying it every second…
Have fun and be safe out there 🤙

PS
Enjoy the people’s reaction to your new toy 🥳
Sponsored