Sponsored

Local Toyota dealer likes the rivian

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have a nice and interesting experience with Toyota and Ford dealers on my area. Toyota guys offered me unlimited free charge at their L2 dealership after they checked out my R1T. With Ford guys it was a “trade”. They inspected Rivian and I inspected the Lighting F150. Difference is between day and night

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Is it because Ford sees the R1T as a competitor while the Toyota guys understand that hell will likely freeze over before they have an EV truck to sell?

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is it because Ford sees the R1T as a competitor while the Toyota guys understand that hell will likely freeze over before they have an EV truck to sell?
Toyota is in Stone Age of EV adoption. They have a disaster at every level with their only EV(bz4w) pulling out of the market. On Ford side, they have the production lines and personnel ready for big production of EV

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Toyota is in Stone Age of EV adoption. They have a disaster at every level with their only EV(bz4w) pulling out of the market. On Ford side, they have the production lines and personnel ready for big production of EV
It’s so true. They have always been a very conservative company. They somehow manage to squeeze decades out of designs in a way that other companies can’t do. Look at the 4 Runner or the previous Tundra. The Tacoma has only had something like 2 engines in the last 15 years. They will probably be last to the show and when the charging infrastructure is better they will finally jump in on EVs. It’s just totally against their nature to be a front runner.

Sponsored

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s so true. They have always been a very conservative company. They somehow manage to squeeze decades out of designs in a way that other companies can’t do. Look at the 4 Runner or the previous Tundra. The Tacoma has only had something like 2 engines in the last 15 years. They will probably be last to the show and when the charging infrastructure is better they will finally jump in on EVs. It’s just totally against their nature to be a front runner.
The irony, on my side, is that I replaced my Tundra(2003) with R1T 🥳

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The irony, on my side, is that I replaced my Tundra(2003) with R1T 🥳
Exactly! And I am replacing my 2017 Tacoma. I love it but I want to not buy another tank of gas for the rest of my life. Could have been you, Toyota!

Yoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Similar situation here. Took my Ridgeline if for a recall. They tried to sell me a new one. Told them I am in line to get a Rivian in 6-8 months. Turns out the owner and GM are huge EV nerds, they have a boatload of used Teslas and two spanking new RT1s on the lot for sale. Asking $115,000 for the (basic) Rivians. They all wanted to talk to me about Rivians, not Ridgelines.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Exactly! And I am replacing my 2017 Tacoma. I love it but I want to not buy another tank of gas for the rest of my life. Could have been you, Toyota!
2002 4runner here, five years ago I wouldn’t have said I would buy a non-Toyota but how things have changed with EVs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
2002 4runner here, five years ago I wouldn’t have said I would buy a non-Toyota but how things have changed with EVs
If Toyota had a real EV truck in development I would have probably waited because I trust their vehicles so much. My Tacoma is just bulletproof. I realized they are truly waiting as long as possible and finding every excuse in The book to NOT produce an EV truck. Oh well… Rivian for the win! I know you are enjoying the hell out of yours!

Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

So weird back in the early Prius days I would have thought Toyota would lead the way. But they rested on their success and Called it a day.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
If Toyota had a real EV truck in development I would have probably waited because I trust their vehicles so much. My Tacoma is just bulletproof. I realized they are truly waiting as long as possible and finding every excuse in The book to NOT produce an EV truck. Oh well… Rivian for the win! I know you are enjoying the hell out of yours!
Toyota is so so behind on EV adoption I wouldn’t be surprised if they partnered with an auto manufacturer like Honda did with GM to get the ball rolling. It’s a shame we used to be a big time Toyota Lexus family but while reliable their non hybrid vehicles are inefficient and tech is ancient (minus some of their finally updated 2022 models).

First Name
Lothar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quad R1T , VW ID4, Tacoma
Occupation
Project Manager
Replacing my 2019 Tacoma with a R1T later this year... wife tries to convince me to keep it as it has been such a good 'adventure truck' for me (plus going all electric still makes her nervous). But I doubt it would get much use. Best part is that I almost get my money back on 40k miles Toyota truck. Great vehicle without bells and whistles.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

What irony! Excited about the type of vehicle that’s going to turn his business inside out.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I planned on driving my '16 4runner for 30 years...until I saw the R1S.
Sponsored