Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
How can dealerships be good? I’m genuinely interested because I got nothing. I will agree that choice is best, but only one side of this thing is trying to force their will on others. I don’t see Rivian or Tesla or anyone else campaigning to shut down dealerships but I do see dealerships trying to ban direct sales.

The only things that should be gated to authorized sellers should be stuff that has a public safety concern. Pharmacists should be the only ones selling prescription medications, liquor licenses should be a thing and gun stores should have their extra licenses to help make sure people who aren’t allowed to have these things don’t get them or can’t get them easily.

I don’t see how dealerships have an interest in public safety. I have no problem if a manufacturer wants to use them, I’m not going to tell them they can’t but having ONLY dealerships allowed to sell cars is totally stupid and all laws saying so should be repealed immediately unless someone can tell me what public safety service dealerships are providing.
NC has dealership laws in place that prevent direct-to-consumer sales, which is anti-consumer, I can't stand not having the option to just order direct. The main argument I have FOR dealerships is the ability to walk-in, test drive, and buy a vehicle that very same day. Before COVID you could even pit dealerships against one another for a better price. Oh, you won't come down to meet my expected price? I'll just go over to dealership B and see what they can do for me.
Sponsored

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Choice for service is their #1 value add, imo. I own a Volvo and I have four dealerships within convenient driving distance -- Probably double that if I drive an hour.
For warranty service work, the dealer doesn’t decide what’s covered. Their only involvement is to do the work. Availability to book an appointment, yeah choice is good.

For non-warranty work, why would you ever go to a dealer?

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
This thread is titled wrong we are actually talking about our local franchised STealerships!!!!!

:rock:

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Choice for service is their #1 value add, imo. I own a Volvo and I have four dealerships within convenient driving distance -- Probably double that if I drive an hour.

The DTC auto manufacturers have comparatively awful service experiences.

Rivian is an 8 hour round trip, for me, not counting for the WEEKS they want to keep my vehicle, each time. And insult to injury: they can't fix anything and always break more stuff each time they get their mitts on my R1T.

Tesla has a SC local to me, but getting an appointment is a multi-month endeavor. And if you have an issue, you're screwed. You don't have another choice of where to go, so you just have to take whatever they give you.

I'm not in love with the franchise model, but there is an incentive for their service teams to take care of me, because I can go down the street if they don't.
This....

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
All of that is true, but shouldn’t the buyer of the vehicle decide whether it’s a risk they want to take? If you or I decide that 8 hour drive to a SC is worth the risk, then we should be able to make the purchase.

Having good, competent dealerships nearby for service is the best part about the dealership model, and perhaps the only redeeming value. But business follows the paper trail, so I don’t see how more service centers - be it Rivian, Ford, or third parties - would not continue to build out. Legacy manufacturers need service centers as much as Rivian and the only difference is that they’ve been built. Rivian, Tesla, etc., can get there too.

Legacy manufacturers don’t necessarily have good service either. The Mach E forums are littered with stories of wildly incompetent service departments with technicians who know far less about the Mach E than the owners. Some of the stories have been pretty wild. I have several Ford dealerships nearby and it doesn’t mean I’ll get even remotely competent service. At least they performed the oil change on my Mach E correctly though.
We have good dealers where I live and of course bad dealers. We don't have crazy laws like some states, which with no competition I'm sure leads to really bad dealers and the dislike on this forum. The more I read about other areas on forums I really love living in the Midwest all that much more. Maybe a few more charging stations would be nice though lol.

Hankenstein

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

Rivian is an 8 hour round trip, for me, not counting for the WEEKS they want to keep my vehicle, each time. And insult to injury: they can't fix anything and always break more stuff each time they get their mitts on my R1T.

Tesla has a SC local to me, but getting an appointment is a multi-month endeavor. And if you have an issue, you're screwed. You don't have another choice of where to go, so you just have to take whatever they give you.

I'm not in love with the franchise model, but there is an incentive for their service teams to take care of me, because I can go down the street if they don't.
But this is an argument for right to repair not dealerships. Competition is always (almost) good for the consumer. We need more business who can service the cars, not sell us cars. I personally have not once found a dealership cheaper/better for car service.

That same argument exists if anyone can service the car. They better do a good job or you can find the next shop down.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
It was a joke. There are plenty of stories from owners where the dealership tried to get owners to buy oil changes because the service department didn’t understand that the Mach E was electric.

In fact, many Ford dealerships have opted out of being allowed to sale or service any electric Ford vehicle because they don’t want to invest in the infrastructure and training. It was part of how Ford is splitting into an ICE and electric divisions.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It was a joke. There are plenty of stories from owners where the dealership tried to get owners to buy oil changes because the service department didn’t understand that the Mach E was electric.

In fact, many Ford dealerships have opted out of being allowed to sale or service any electric Ford vehicle because they don’t want to invest in the infrastructure and training. It was part of how Ford is splitting into an ICE and electric divisions.
A BMW dealership once quoted me 12 spark plugs for a tuneup for an in-line 6. They probably got away with this on many customers. To be a wise ass and let them know that I caught them, I told the service manager that they confused my 3 series for a 90s 850i. He hung his head and he knew I got him. I told him I would do the tune up myself and left. (For the non-BMW folks, the 850i had a 12 cylinder engine.)

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
No state should stop any service center from opening. It is just smart and SAFE to have local service of cars that are in, or come through, your state. That is just idiotic. Sadly that also describes my state.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

You’re comparing a hundred years of infrastructure build out with companies who have been around much less. Look at how many Amazon distribution centers there are, or how many Walmarts. There’s no reason to believe one company cannot add enough service centers.

I bet if you took the number of vehicles Rivian has on the road and averaged it out per service center then did the same with all big auto and dealerships you’d come up with a similar number. As Rivian gets bigger they will get more just like all the big automakers. That isn’t a benefit to dealerships themselves just to time and number of vehicles on the road.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Here's a thought. With the growing adoption of EV unavoidable, why doesn't Rivian open a service CE program for mechanics? Mechanics are going to want to grow their skillset to stay relative and service EVs, so it would just make sense. They could still build out their main SC infrastructure as major hubs, local mechanics would take care of other things they are equiped for. Things like half-shaft, air suspension issues, etc. People in states with restirictions in place (like me in NC) could take delivery in VA or GA, any services would get taken care of my local mechanics.

If I have an issue with the outboard on my boat I don't go back to the dealer, I just find a certified mechanic in my area and get it serviced. I used to get my Evinrude and Yamaha serviced my some tiny local shop, even for warranty work. He would just submit the bill to Yamaha (Evinrude is no longer in business).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Here's a thought. With the growing adoption of EV unavoidable, why doesn't Rivian open a service CE program for mechanics? Mechanics are going to want to grow their skillset to stay relative and service EVs, so it would just make sense. They could still build out their main SC infrastructure as major hubs, local mechanics would take care of other things they are equiped for. Things like half-shaft, air suspension issues, etc. People in states with restirictions in place (like me in NC) could take delivery in VA or GA, any services would get taken care of my local mechanics.

If I have an issue with the outboard on my boat I don't go back to the dealer, I just find a certified mechanic in my area and get it serviced. I used to get my Evinrude and Yamaha serviced my some tiny local shop, even for warranty work. He would just submit the bill to Yamaha (Evinrude is no longer in business).
Yeah, that would be nice. Unfortunately, Rivian refuses to share pretty much any information with anyone.
Sponsored