First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Rivian R1T R1S Local CT dealer files suit to kill approved Connecticut Rivian service center 1675770671092

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
This is ridiculous. As a CT resident, I'd love to go to Shelton vs. Chelsea Ma.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Dealerships and state dealers associations are nothing more than a protection racket.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I would love for a rational explanation of how dealerships are good for consumers. There won't be one though, because dealerships are NOT good for consumers. Choice is good for consumers.
I'd argue that dealerships can be good... But what is not good is forcing only the dealership franchise model. I would argue that letting Tesla/Rivian/Lucid do the direct-to-consumer approach while also allowing manufacturers to choose to use the dealer franchise model is best. Choice is best.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I'd argue that dealerships can be good... But what is not good is forcing only the dealership franchise model. I would argue that letting Tesla/Rivian/Lucid do the direct-to-consumer approach while also allowing manufacturers to choose to use the dealer franchise model is best. Choice is best.
How can dealerships be good? I’m genuinely interested because I got nothing. I will agree that choice is best, but only one side of this thing is trying to force their will on others. I don’t see Rivian or Tesla or anyone else campaigning to shut down dealerships but I do see dealerships trying to ban direct sales.

The only things that should be gated to authorized sellers should be stuff that has a public safety concern. Pharmacists should be the only ones selling prescription medications, liquor licenses should be a thing and gun stores should have their extra licenses to help make sure people who aren’t allowed to have these things don’t get them or can’t get them easily.

I don’t see how dealerships have an interest in public safety. I have no problem if a manufacturer wants to use them, I’m not going to tell them they can’t but having ONLY dealerships allowed to sell cars is totally stupid and all laws saying so should be repealed immediately unless someone can tell me what public safety service dealerships are providing.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
How can dealerships be good? I’m genuinely interested because I got nothing. I will agree that choice is best, but only one side of this thing is trying to force their will on others. I don’t see Rivian or Tesla or anyone else campaigning to shut down dealerships but I do see dealerships trying to ban direct sales.

The only things that should be gated to authorized sellers should be stuff that has a public safety concern. Pharmacists should be the only ones selling prescription medications, liquor licenses should be a thing and gun stores should have their extra licenses to help make sure people who aren’t allowed to have these things don’t get them or can’t get them easily.

I don’t see how dealerships have an interest in public safety. I have no problem if a manufacturer wants to use them, I’m not going to tell them they can’t but having ONLY dealerships allowed to sell cars is totally stupid and all laws saying so should be repealed immediately unless someone can tell me what public safety service dealerships are providing.
Dealerships can be good because they compete against each other. Keep in mind that "can" doesn't mean "always are". I've also said that choice is crucial.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It's ironic that some state and federal laws ban monopolies and restricted trade, and other state laws ban free and open trade.

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The city planning and zoning commission approval went smoothly without car dealer objection. Apparently, they were asleep at the switch. Rivian has been clear that they will not be engaging in sales at this service center, so it will be interesting to see how Connecticut courts rule. I assume they are claiming the city acted improperly in approving the service center.

Sponsored

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Dealerships are dinosaurs and we(the consumer) need to be that asteroid for the good of mankind!

Seriously, what value do they add - apart from literally adding a 'dealer mark up'?

DTC is the way to go. The sooner car manufacturers realise this, the better.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Dealerships are dinosaurs and we(the consumer) need to be that asteroid for the good of mankind!

Seriously, what value do they add - apart from literally adding a 'dealer mark up'?
Choice for service is their #1 value add, imo. I own a Volvo and I have four dealerships within convenient driving distance -- Probably double that if I drive an hour.

The DTC auto manufacturers have comparatively awful service experiences.

Rivian is an 8 hour round trip, for me, not counting for the WEEKS they want to keep my vehicle, each time. And insult to injury: they can't fix anything and always break more stuff each time they get their mitts on my R1T.

Tesla has a SC local to me, but getting an appointment is a multi-month endeavor. And if you have an issue, you're screwed. You don't have another choice of where to go, so you just have to take whatever they give you.

I'm not in love with the franchise model, but there is an incentive for their service teams to take care of me, because I can go down the street if they don't.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Choice for service is their #1 value add, imo. I own a Volvo and I have four dealerships within convenient driving distance -- Probably double that if I drive an hour.

The DTC auto manufacturers have comparatively awful service experiences.

Rivian is an 8 hour round trip, for me, not counting for the WEEKS they want to keep my vehicle, each time. And insult to injury: they can't fix anything and always break more stuff each time they get their mitts on my R1T.

Tesla has a SC local to me, but getting an appointment is a multi-month endeavor. And if you have an issue, you're screwed. You don't have another choice of where to go, so you just have to take whatever they give you.

I'm not in love with the franchise model, but there is an incentive for their service teams to take care of me, because I can go down the street if they don't.
All of that is true, but shouldn’t the buyer of the vehicle decide whether it’s a risk they want to take? If you or I decide that 8 hour drive to a SC is worth the risk, then we should be able to make the purchase.

Having good, competent dealerships nearby for service is the best part about the dealership model, and perhaps the only redeeming value. But business follows the paper trail, so I don’t see how more service centers - be it Rivian, Ford, or third parties - would not continue to build out. Legacy manufacturers need service centers as much as Rivian and the only difference is that they’ve been built. Rivian, Tesla, etc., can get there too.

Legacy manufacturers don’t necessarily have good service either. The Mach E forums are littered with stories of wildly incompetent service departments with technicians who know far less about the Mach E than the owners. Some of the stories have been pretty wild. I have several Ford dealerships nearby and it doesn’t mean I’ll get even remotely competent service. At least they performed the oil change on my Mach E correctly though.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Dealerships belong with elevator and telephone operators. They served a purpose but that time has long since past. They provide zero benefit to the buying experience, I would counter they are costing consumers money. When I bought my BMW I4, the only thing the dealer did was push my order through the queue. I had that experience with Rivian but didn't have to pay the dealer markup/profit on top. If the world was just now starting with cars, manufactures would sell direct and dealers would be service shops.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Reactions: Jac