Sponsored

Loading Height

blackrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
I would be intersted in the loading height of the rear tailgate to store some load, eg. to store a bycicle (height with removed front wheel about 85cm / 33 inch)?

This is the vertical height if the tailgate is open, to load things in the car.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
My guess is a bit higher than that, just judging by pictures using relation to tire height.

That's not a spec I've seen published though.

Spoonito

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR4, Explorer
I believe that the suspension on the R1S and R1T is height adjustable for this reason. Park and you can lower the vehicle. Many SUV w/ air suspension have this feature. My current LR4 does this and it helps getting kids in and out of the car.

OP
OP
blackrat

blackrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Spoonito, my question was to get some load (in my case a standing byciclye) in the car and thus the clearance between roof and bottom when the tailgate is open.
Unfortuanately this value is often hidden from the manufacturers and sometimes I have to measure this at the shop or ask someone to do this for me. Probably have to wait for some real samples ...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@blackrat ,
I thought you were talking about height from ground to tailgate too, but you're asking about cargo floor to ceiling measurement.

Would you also consider using roof rack for this, or do you want the bike to actually be inside the vehicle?

Sponsored

OP
OP
blackrat

blackrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
No, because of range, I want to put it in the car.
I wander also if there is flat bottom, when you fold the seats of the second or third row. From one video I have seen I have the thinking, at the tailgate the bottom is lower than where thjie seats are folded (but no clear photo with folded seats and open tailgate).

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

No, because of range, I want to put it in the car.
I wander also if there is flat bottom, when you fold the seats of the second or third row. From one video I have seen I have the thinking, at the tailgate the bottom is lower than where thjie seats are folded (but no clear photo with folded seats and open tailgate).
I took this picture at the NYIAS. The fact that the 3rd row has gap skirts leads me to believe that they told fairly flat.

Rivian R1T R1S Loading Height 20190420_102451

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I'd also be interested in the R1S' rear opening dimensions. I also prefer to transport and store my bike within my SUV as it provides maximum security along with protection from weather and road debris. My '95 Ford Explorer could easily handle transporting multiple bikes upright in the cargo area with the rear bench folded. In addition, if I was only transporting one bike I could easily do this with only having to lower the 40 portion of the 60/40 split bench leaving plenty of seat and cargo room for additional gear, In addition, the Explorer could also fit a 4x8' sheet of plywood through the opening albeit diagonally. Unable to do any of this with my Endeavor. Bikes have to loaded and stored sideways on top of each other. So, yea, it would be nice to know the rear opening dimensions.
Sponsored