Sponsored

LIVE from Rivian's NY Auto Show Preview Event! (Q&A and R1T / R1S Hands-On)

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
Its not a whole other car. They are going to use the same skateboard for multiple vehicles (again a lesson learned from Tesla that Tesla leaned the hard way). The difference for Rivian is that their skateboard is already the size to create these type of vehicles where the Model 3 chassis is not. Fleet sales should allow them to reach economies of scale on their skateboard that are realized by all vehicles in the line. Economy of scale on the skateboard is what matters. When they hit economies of scale we are not talking anywhere close to 100K vehicle. You can put an SUV, an Extended cab pickup, a regular cab pickup, a sprinter van style vehicle, a raptor style vehicle, and a full fledged delivery truck all on that same skateboard.

I know a ton of contractors that drive around in 60k and 70k pickups. Rivian doesn't have to replace all f-150 sales to be wildly successful. Every other car in line for school is a pimped out Tahoe, Suburban, Range Rover, M5, etc, and many people who purchase these trucks get major tax write-offs on them. They don't have to go after the 35K f-150s for a decade.
I’m just being a Debbie downer. It’s a great platform. I’m sure they have a plan. Fleet sales are definitely the ideal.

I think I saw this based on their LA auto showing as more a general consumer truck/off road competitor but I’m thinking this is more the Range Rover and Mercedes G competitor at least initially.

I certainly wish them the best and in the event they have a model that meets my needs and my budget and also have a reasonable service infrastructure and backing that makes me confident they will be around I’ll be getting one. My preorder isn’t cancelled though I’m carefully watching my options.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
A big THANK YOU to those posting info/videos/pics from the show for the rest of us to see!!! :clap:
From what I see in the photos, it doesn't look like the rear window in the pickup opens...does it? Does the rear window in the SUV open?
Ditto ... on the thank you to all (!!) and about the windows opening. In addition, did anybody happen to find out if the third row seats will be optional on the R1S 105 kW and 130 kW models?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Ditto ... on the thank you to all (!!) and about the windows opening. In addition, did anybody happen to find out if the third row seats will be optional on the R1S 105 kW and 130 kW models?
The rear windows do not open as of yet, but the R1S does have a split rear (i.e. the top half opens up, and the bottom half opens down). As far as the rear seats being optional on the R1S, RJ told me personally that the rear seat delete will be an option in all but the 180Kwh config (where the rear seat delete is standard).

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Great photos. Can’t tell, do the rear seats of the R1T fold down, or just the R1S? I would like to occasionally carry gear in the back seat area, wonder what my options are that will leave the seats protected somwhat.
I would hope that the rear seats of the R1T will fold down and believe they will. Not a big issue to do that. I believe they will fold up except for the 180 KWH version because of space needed for the largest battery pack. As you I like the idea of protecting the seats as I really won't use the rears much. I sold my second car in anticipation of the R1T and don't miss it. I'm relying on my 911 frunk for my needs. That pretty much says where I'm coming from. My want is a Tesla S soon to be refrshed next to my RiT. Pure want not a need. I walk more than I drive but that is beside the point.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would hope that the rear seats of the R1T will fold down and believe they will. Not a big issue to do that. I believe they will fold up except for the 180 KWH version because of space needed for the largest battery pack. As you I like the idea of protecting the seats as I really won't use the rears much.
I don't think that the battery pack has any impact on the interior of the R1T since it has a longer wheelbase than the R1S.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Its not a whole other car. They are going to use the same skateboard for multiple vehicles (again a lesson learned from Tesla that Tesla leaned the hard way). The difference for Rivian is that their skateboard is already the size to create these type of vehicles where the Model 3 chassis is not. Fleet sales should allow them to reach economies of scale on their skateboard that are realized by all vehicles in the line. Economy of scale on the skateboard is what matters. When they hit economies of scale we are not talking anywhere close to 100K vehicle. You can put an SUV, an Extended cab pickup, a regular cab pickup, a sprinter van style vehicle, a raptor style vehicle, and a full fledged delivery truck all on that same skateboard.

I know a ton of contractors that drive around in 60k and 70k pickups. Rivian doesn't have to replace all f-150 sales to be wildly successful. Every other car in line for school is a pimped out Tahoe, Suburban, Range Rover, M5, etc, and many people who purchase these trucks get major tax write-offs on them. They don't have to go after the 35K f-150s for a decade.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-gm-with-plans-to-build-for-others/ar-BBW2N4k

Thought you'd like this. RJ coming out that they have plans to build non-consumer models for companies. Likely why they shunned GM. This is excellent news for those like myself concerned that cars this expensive won't move in volume. Fleet sales would absolutely be a major revenue generator that would support he company and the plant in volumes that the current price points of their consumer cars could not.

Great news and really changes the whole plan when it comes to the sustainability of the company. Really glad RJ put this info out. There was a big gap in their business plan that made me worried. I have the cash to buy one of these but I don't have the means to juts waste 100k on a gamble. It would be a big investment and for myself and my family what they had announced (two cars at that price) didn't seem like a responsible purchase given my concerns they couldn't sustain a company with that niche market. Now that they've really expanded their market and we see why Amazon invested and why the GM deal went south that's really great news for those looking to buy these cars.

RJ said they had tens of thousands of pre-orders. This is in line with what Tesla saw for the Model X but tiny in comparison to the model 3 (hundreds of thousands) again showing that these high priced models just don't move in volumes. A plan for fleet vehicles however totally changes that ballgame.

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
We will need to watch what UPS works out to buy a bare skateboard then finish it off with their own box bodies and driver controls. They can likely get by with the low capacity batteries for most of their daily delivery vans. Final assembly could be handled away from Normal, Il at a slower pace with experienced assembly people.

stank65

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Acadia
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-gm-with-plans-to-build-for-others/ar-BBW2N4k

Thought you'd like this. RJ coming out that they have plans to build non-consumer models for companies. Likely why they shunned GM. This is excellent news for those like myself concerned that cars this expensive won't move in volume. Fleet sales would absolutely be a major revenue generator that would support he company and the plant in volumes that the current price points of their consumer cars could not.

Great news and really changes the whole plan when it comes to the sustainability of the company. Really glad RJ put this info out. There was a big gap in their business plan that made me worried. I have the cash to buy one of these but I don't have the means to juts waste 100k on a gamble. It would be a big investment and for myself and my family what they had announced (two cars at that price) didn't seem like a responsible purchase given my concerns they couldn't sustain a company with that niche market. Now that they've really expanded their market and we see why Amazon invested and why the GM deal went south that's really great news for those looking to buy these cars.

RJ said they had tens of thousands of pre-orders. This is in line with what Tesla saw for the Model X but tiny in comparison to the model 3 (hundreds of thousands) again showing that these high priced models just don't move in volumes. A plan for fleet vehicles however totally changes that ballgame.
Thanks for posting this. This is more proof IMO that they have learned many of the lesson that others have not. The skateboard is what they are ultimately selling. The high end SUV and Pickup market is the proof of concept that they will make a name for themselves. The math on fleet vehicles is so different than the general consumer market as far as the price they can command (you obviously know this I’m just restating). Imagine running a fleet of delivery vehicles that cost you 1/4 the fuel costs and significantly lower maintenance cost and you get to use it as a marketing tool. Companies would drop 100k in a heartbeat on a vehicle that could do that.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for posting this. This is more proof IMO that they have learned many of the lesson that others have not. The skateboard is what they are ultimately selling. The high end SUV and Pickup market is the proof of concept that they will make a name for themselves. The math on fleet vehicles is so different than the general consumer market as far as the price they can command (you obviously know this I’m just restating). Imagine running a fleet of delivery vehicles that cost you 1/4 the fuel costs and significantly lower maintenance cost and you get to use it as a marketing tool. Companies would drop 100k in a heartbeat on a vehicle that could do that.
The more fleshed our business plan has definitely renewed my enthusiasm.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
I highly doubt they would release that info.
RJ just gave an interview where he claimed they had "tens of thousands" of preorders. Higher than I'd have guessed, but it would be great for the company if true.

Sponsored

VValleyEV

First Name
Rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Great photos. Can’t tell, do the rear seats of the R1T fold down, or just the R1S? I would like to occasionally carry gear in the back seat area, wonder what my options are that will leave the seats protected somwhat.
UPDATE: the videos from the NY Auto Show tell me that the rear seats will very likely not fold. They demo hopping into the rear seats and showing that they have plenty of room, and that there are storage drawers under the sets. If they folded in any way they would have demo’ed that. What I like about the Ford F-150 Lariat is that the rear seats can be folded forward, completely up against the back of the front seats, leaving a nice sized inside cargo box, and looks like that is not in the cards for the R1T. HOWEVER, that may mean that the R1T rear seats are more comfortable ...

Here is a link to an article about the Rivian at NY Auto show with videos showing off everything including back seating:
https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-ny-show-details/

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

UPDATE: the videos from the NY Auto Show tell me that the rear seats will very likely not fold. They demo hopping into the rear seats and showing that they have plenty of room, and that there are storage drawers under the sets. If they folded in any way they would have demo’ed that. What I like about the Ford F-150 Lariat is that the rear seats can be folded forward, completely up against the back of the front seats, leaving a nice sized inside cargo box, and looks like that is not in the cards for the R1T. HOWEVER, that may mean that the R1T rear seats are more comfortable ...

Here is a link to an article about the Rivian at NY Auto show with videos showing off everything including back seating:
https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-ny-show-details/
I was told by a Rivian employee the R1T rear seats will NOT fold down, but there is storage underneath the “horizontal” part of the seat.

On a side note, there is a small storage place in the back of the R1S (behind third row) that opens up to allow some additional storage. I caution that it only appeared to be about 3-5inches deep and I’m not sure which battery pack is in the current test vehicle.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was told by a Rivian employee the R1T rear seats will NOT fold down, but there is storage underneath the “horizontal” part of the seat.

On a side note, there is a small storage place in the back of the R1S (behind third row) that opens up to allow some additional storage. I caution that it only appeared to be about 3-5inches deep and I’m not sure which battery pack is in the current test vehicle.
Brian told me that both current R1T and R1S are the 135Kwh variant.
Sponsored