Sponsored

Lincoln's Aviator - the SUV the R1S needs to Beat?

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Lincoln's Aviator is getting an awful lot of good press. It's being called the new American standard for luxury SUVs and better than the Bavarian competition. High praise, indeed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/aut...erican-luxury-car-in-a-generation/ar-BB14zB1c

Quibbles about the Aviator focus on performance rather than styling, interior appointments, fit and finish. Performance lags in the hybrid version as the ICE and battery coupling is uneven. The 400 hp ICE version performs well for a 3 row SUV, but it doesn't accelerate like a R1S or deliver outstanding mpg/e-mpg numbers. And, of course, it doesn't go off-road.

A Black Label Aviator, a high level trim, goes for mid $70K. How does a Black Label Aviator stack up against a 3 row, 135kW R1S? Which would you buy and, if you're leaning the Aviator way, why and what would it take to change your mind?

The comparison's unfair because the R1S isn't in production. But, if it was, in terms of styling, interior appointments, fit and finish, do you prefer an Aviator or R1S?

In terms of performance, there's really no comparison though, as many of us have indicated, service, warranty and charging are key concerns.

I'm curious. Is the Lincoln Aviator the SUV the R1S needs to beat or this is an apples vs oranges comparison? What's the competition for a R1S (and R1T)?
Sponsored

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I personally wouldn't consider any vehicle with an ICE.

And the Aviator is targeting a much different audience than "Adventurous". Rivian may someday design and market a "luxury" SUV focused on (sub)urban use, but most likely that would come from the Ford/Lincoln partnership (if Ford survives as the same company as it is today).

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I've only had hybrids, so I'm not yet in the BEV only category. My Prii have proven to be remarkably durable and economical. One ran for 319K miles at an average of 47 mpg before things began to come apart. That vehicle paid for itself in gas savings.

But plenty of folks with BEVs say they'll never go back to ICEs. I hope to be in that group when Rivians finally get on the road.

I agree Aviators and Rivians are marketed at different folks, on the road luxury-ites and all- road adventurers, but what's the statistic - 95+% of folks with four wheel drive never go off-road? At best, maybe a fire trail or two. (And it will be interesting, once Rivians are out and about, if there's a significant difference between R1Ss and R1Ts in terms of how often they go off road.)

Do others feel like DucRider? BEVs or nothing at all?

A Black Label Aviator and mid-level Rivian are likely to be priced about the same. What if you could have a Black Label Aviator for mid-$50Ks? In my case, I'd probably still go for a R1S but I'm less price sensitive than most, and I'm in a state and town where it should be easy to get service. Different folks, different strokes.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
At this point in the technology curve, I'm either going to buy an ev or wait until they come down in price. I was originally going to try to wait until 2025, but the R1s made me change my mind.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
I agree with DucRider. At this point in my life, I won’t consider any vehicle other than a BEV. I’m very impressed with the Aviator. I was hoping the Rivian/Lincoln affiliation was going to produce an electric Aviator type vehicle. Since that isn’t going to happen, I’m debating between the R1S, Volvo XC40 Recharge (too small), Volvo XC90 Recharge (mid-late 2022), or wait to see what Ford/Lincoln or Cadillac bring to the table with their new EV’s.

Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'll never buy a new ICE car again. I have a feeling my daughter won't ever in her lifetime...

Even a Rivian is more than I need 90% of the time. I could literally use an electric golf cart...The concept of starting up a giant piece of steel with a loud gasoline polluting engine with just me in it to drive 5 miles to the store is absurd...I have a feeling generations from now will laugh at use driving those giants SUVs around for no reason lol

UP Finn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 HMMWV, 2018 4Runner ORP, 2020 Model Y Perf
I like the Aviator. I have no problem with owning a car with a gas/diesel engine. I put my reservation down for an on/off road performance vehicle that happens to be electric. I'm not totally sold on getting a Rivian. There are some very intriguing options coming out between now and who knows when deliveries will start. Or I may just pull the trigger on an AEV Prospector XL. Not the on road performance of an R1T but certainly has some off road chops.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
My wife was excited about a Lincoln EV simply because she wants a luxurious car with the latest technology. We have a 2016 Tesla Model X and its getting a little long in the tooth but she wants a vehicle that is on par from a luxury perspective (or better). We had a Town Car in the 90s and she is looking for that level of comfort - she was hoping Lincoln would provide it. (I am hoping the R1S will!)

We will see.
Sponsored