Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

via Reuters:

Lincoln electric SUV to use Ford-backed startup's 'skateboard' chassis

November 26, 2019

DETROIT (Reuters) - A battery-powered Lincoln SUV, due in mid-2022, will be the first Ford Motor Co (F.N) vehicle built on a custom electrified chassis that resembles a skateboard, which was developed by Ford-backed startup Rivian, according to several people familiar with the program.

The all-wheel-drive Lincoln SUV could compete against Rivian’s R1S, an electric sport utility vehicle slated to go into production in early 2021 that will be priced from $72,500. Both models will use Rivian’s so-called skateboard, a flexible platform that combines electric motors, batteries, controls and suspension.

On Tuesday, Ford declined to comment. Rivian did not respond to a request for comment.

The new Lincoln, which carries the internal program code U787, also could compete with premium offerings from others, including General Motors Co (GM.N), which plans to introduce at least two new electric SUVs by 2023, one for Cadillac and one that could revive the Hummer name, sources have said.

Ford invested $500 million in Rivian this year and plans to help it begin production next year at a former Mitsubishi plant in Normal, Illinois.

When Ford made the investment, it said it would use Rivian’s skateboard to develop its own electric vehicle, but did not disclose details.

It is not clear where Ford intends to build the Lincoln SUV, which will be among the first of several battery-powered utility vehicles planned for Ford’s premium brand in North America and China, according to supplier sources familiar with those programs who asked not to be identified.

Ford expects to introduce a compact Lincoln electric crossover in late 2021 or early 2022 and a mid-size companion in 2023, the sources said.

The U.S. auto industry plans to invest billions of dollars over the next few years to build all-electric pickups and SUVs, sectors of the market that have been among the most profitable, especially for Detroit-based automakers.

But analysts have questioned whether demand from consumers and commercial customers will come close to matching production.

Founded in 2009, Rivian has raised $1.9 billion from investors, including e-commerce giant Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O), which has ordered 100,000 electric delivery vehicles from Rivian. The first Amazon vans will be built in Normal and are to be delivered in 2021.

Ford aims to sell an electric F-series pickup in late 2021, sources have said. It also will offer the electric Mustang Mach E SUV next year as part of plans to invest $11.5 billion by 2022 electrifying its vehicles.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Called it!!

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Called it!!
Yup, me too. I think the skateboard will have to be paired down, including suspension, before it makes it into a regular Ford-branded vehicle.

I did see some reports that the Lincoln will be a crossover, which surprised me though, unless it's a sporty one. I thought it would be more toward the Aviator/Navigator full sized SUV lineup.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
On a side note, I was a bit underwhelmed with my brother's new Navigator... Rode in it for the first time late October; I had high expectations and didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

I guess that's proof that Matthew McConaughey is either full of sh*t, a good actor, or both... :CWL:

Sponsored

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
The real question is how will this affect R1S sales and will people go with Ford because of the dealership/service availability? Wonder how the MSRPs will compare?

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
The real question is how will this affect R1S sales and will people go with Ford because of the dealership/service availability? Wonder how the MSRPs will compare?
It is a strong possibility that people will shift if they can wait for the Lincoln and other name brands coming out within months of the Rivian's.

I understand the value of the Rivian platform, the technology, and performance it promises. I have no doubts it will have a solid product. My concern is longevity.

I was just at the SF Auto Show this past week. Saw the new Land Rover Defender, it was bigger than I expected but cool. Looking at the other SUV's, depending on the battery pack of the Rivian's, if you were looking at price alone, the decision becomes difficult on what to buy. An educated buyer will probably still choose a Rivian.

There is an inflection point between emotion and practicality.

It will be interesting on what the market will do when the Rivian start production. If they were about six months to a year earlier, I think the adoption of buying Rivian's would have taken off. Now that there are new players hitting the market at about the same time, and big names like Ford, Volvo, and even Lordstown Motors and others, I think Rivian may have a very interesting hurdle to overcome for sales given the price points they have published thus far.

What do others think?

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
It is a strong possibility that people will shift if they can wait for the Lincoln and other name brands coming out within months of the Rivian's.
If they were about six months to a year earlier, I think the adoption of buying Rivian's would have taken off. Now that there are new players hitting the market at about the same time, and big names like Ford, Volvo, and even Lordstown Motors and others, I think Rivian may have a very interesting hurdle to overcome for sales given the price points they have published thus far.

What do others think?
I think you are quite right. 6 months ago they had almost no competition. Now everybody is announcing they'll have something, most claiming just 1-2 years out.

It's a new, tougher playing field for Rivian.

eltrkadvntrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rice Burner
I will tend to agree. Most big manufactures are working in an ev of sort, they claim they will be out in a year or so. Who knows how far along they are in their design, plant modifications, service aspects ect. Like Tesla, Rivian is their own manufacturer that is designing many things in house, technology that if used in other brands will have to be bought. I would imagine that Rivian will be offering OTA updates like Tesla. I find it difficult for a company like ford to offer the same. The dealers and Ford techs will be unhappy if the manufacturer sends out updates OTA instead of having the unit come to the shop. This essentially is pulling money out of the dealers pocket. However if the company starts off with OTA updates, then no shop or tech gets upset.

Maybe if they go the route with Lincoln they will "dumby" down some of the tech so there really isnt much competition with their own product. I also think a person going the route of a Lincoln is not so much the adventure type of person that Rivian is marketing to. So the demographics dont quite line up. Then again, many people buy Jeep wranglers not for the off road capability, but to mall crawl. But who knows. Time tells all.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Thus far the ICE automakers who have entered or are near entering the EV market -- Jaguar, Audi, MB -- have not come close to matching the systems integration abilities that Tesla has attained. This is one of the reasons that many critics give for these cars falling well short of Teslas of similar weight, size, and battery packs in terms of acceleration and range. (Porsche is a partial exception here -- great performance, so-so range.)

I get the impression that Rivian, by having no ICE engineering heritage to shake off, may be more like Tesla in terms of total system efficiencies. Here Porsche is a good example. Although Porsche says 90% of the braking load is handled by regeneration, the Taycan still has a 10-piston system with among the largest brake discs of any passenger car on the road -- almost the size of the brakes on a Bentley Bentayga. The reason Porsche gives is that they have standards of repeatability of rapid-cycle acceleration and braking that dictate the size of their brakes on their ICE cars. While they admit the regeneration assist of the Taycan does not require such huge brakes for that repeatability, they said they did not want to use "lesser" brakes on the Taycan than they would on their ICE cars.

Heritage can be a hard load to lay aside.

Sponsored

Colosaleen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, Dodge Viper RT/10, Saleen S351R Speedster
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
All of this is proof in the pudding. If it is a real car out there, that is 1/2 the battle. If not, it is just talk. No different than all these people saying they handle Cyber Technology today. Everyone talks about it, drops the buzz words but few are doing anything real. Tesla is out there which is why it gives them an edge over most. It is real to the touch and feel.

This is why Rivian needs to be out there with the truck. Taking it everywhere, giving rides letting people touch it. That prototype should never see the factory for the next year, just be on a non-stop tour around the country. Otherwise it "feels" no different to the majority of people on their computer than a cool design presented that is photo-shopped.

That is just my opinion but that will give the edge over the others and is why Tesla has moved ahead of them despite the more established manufacturers trying to catch up with what seems like better products on paper. Key word is it is just on paper. Like comparing the Ring times virtually of the next 3 Corvette models not even built yet.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I have nothing but bad luck trying to purchase a BEV or PHEV from legacy dealerships. I have yet met a salesman or manager that know what they're talking about. They're clueless in these emerging products. Then, there is the lack of incentives for them and their low availability leads to price gauging. Their infamous line,"Oh these vehicles are on extremely high demand and low supply, therefore..." Sick of that. I ended buying a Tesla instead and it was the best car buying experience ever. I will not buy another car or BEV from legacy dealerships simply because I have choices now!

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I have nothing but bad luck trying to purchase a BEV or PHEV from legacy dealerships. I have yet met a salesman or manager that know what they're talking about. They're clueless in these emerging products. Then, there is the lack of incentives for them and their low availability leads to price gauging. Their infamous line,"Oh these vehicles are on extremely high demand and low supply, therefore..." Sick of that. I ended buying a Tesla instead and it was the best car buying experience ever. I will not buy another car or BEV from legacy dealerships simply because I have choices now!
So true! I am very interested to see how Rivian operates after they start delivering vehicles. It seems majority of what they are doing is more Legacy without the overhead.

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

Official Press Release From Ford, Published Today:

LINCOLN, RIVIAN PARTNER TO DELIVER LINCOLN’S FIRST ALL-ELECTRIC VEHICLE
JAN 29, 2020 | DEARBORN, MICH.

Rivian R1T R1S Lincoln SUV will be first First vehicle built on Rivian skateboard chassis 1580314349152

• Lincoln and Rivian will work together to develop an all-new fully electric vehicle, based on Rivian’s skateboard platform
  • Building on Lincoln’s product momentum, the all-electric vehicle will progress Lincoln’s Quiet Flight DNA and feature advanced and intuitive technologies
  • Introduction of this zero-emissions electric vehicle advances Lincoln’s electrification plan that includes the Aviator and Corsair Grand Touring plug-in hybrid vehicles
DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 29, 2020 – The Lincoln Motor Company announced today that it is working together with Rivian to develop an all-new electric vehicle previously announced as part of Ford Motor Company’s original investment in Rivian.

Lincoln’s first fully electric vehicle will join the Aviator and Corsair Grand Touring plug-in hybrid vehicles, further solidifying Lincoln’s commitment to electrification. The zero-emissions vehicle will feature connected and intuitive technologies designed to create an effortless experience for Lincoln clients.

“Working with Rivian marks a pivotal point for Lincoln as we move toward a future that includes fully electric vehicles,” said Joy Falotico, president, The Lincoln Motor Company. “This vehicle will take Quiet Flight to a new place – zero emissions, effortless performance and connected and intuitive technology. It’s going to be stunning.”

Lincoln has introduced four new SUVs including Corsair, Aviator and Navigator in the past three years. The all-new lineup has helped Lincoln’s global SUV sales grow 7 percent year-over-year and enabled the luxury automaker to deliver its best U.S. SUV sales in 16 years.

As Lincoln adds a new luxury electric vehicle to its lineup, production of the MKZ sedan will end this year in order for the Hermosillo Assembly Plant in Mexico to prepare for production of new Ford vehicles.

The Lincoln battery electric vehicle will be built off of Rivian’s flexible skateboard platform and is part of Ford Motor Company’s planned equity investment in Rivian. This all-new vehicle also is part of Ford’s previously announced investment of more than $11.5 billion into electrification, which includes the Mustang Mach-E and a fully electric version of the best-selling F-150 pickup.

“Our vehicle development partnership with Ford is an exciting opportunity to pair our technology with Lincoln’s vision for innovation and refinement. We are proud to collaborate on Lincoln’s first fully electric vehicle,” said Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
With recent announcement of a price reduction it is nice to see that Rivian is listening. Hopefully they continue to monitor these forums for data points.

It will be interesting to see how many reservation holders there are and I am wondering if some have dropped off due to the Mach-e, iPace, eTron, and now Cybertruck, plus, Lincoln, Ford, GM, BMW, Mercedes, VW, and others stepping up EV productions that will be driving costs down.
Sponsored