Sponsored

Limited regen after new s/w update?

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
I've noticed the regen is really limited in the mountains after the 2022.47.0 update. It's enough that I'm pretty disappointed. None of my previous EVs have had an issue with full regen all the way down mountain passes. As a result I'm needing to use the friction brakes a lot which hurts the efficiency. I would not want to drive the R1T in the mountains with a trailer with the current regen performance.

I haven't seen a difference with higher battery temps (post DV fast charging) or with low states of charge (<20%). Our ski trips are 2hrs each way and it's the same in both directions going down any longer descents.

Hopefully one of the upcoming updates corrects this issue.
I finally did a trip in the mountains after the latest update. No significant improvement. Regen is still very limited about half way down Hoosier pass and about half way down from Woodland Park to Manitou Springs.

Definitely disappointing.
Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I've had the same issue since like two OTAs ago, and managed to get a service appointment this coming Tuesday to investigate the issue.

So I will report back here if they discover anything

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I've had the same issue since like two OTAs ago, and managed to get a service appointment this coming Tuesday to investigate the issue.

So I will report back here if they discover anything
I'm interested in what the service center had to say. After getting an appointment my service center told me this is normal. Rivian made enchantments to the regen on the previous update (2022.47 I believe) and that it's operating normally. I expressed my concern that maybe they should take another look because it performed better before the update. Maybe the update didn't install correctly. But they refused. :(

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Yes I live on a hill so the beginning of my commute in the morning is downhill for a mile or two and I always get this warning after newer software updates. Hopefully it will be adjusted in a later update.

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Not looking forward to towing my boat from 5000' to 100 in 25 miles this summer.. ~4% average grade and I was already using a lot of manual braking due to low regen availability.. this seems silly..

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Not looking forward to towing my boat from 5000' to 100 in 25 miles this summer.. ~4% average grade and I was already using a lot of manual braking due to low regen availability.. this seems silly..
It's one of those rare situations when you want to be at like 60-70% battery when you start so it can take in all the regen. But it will definitely give you the warnings even at 70%.

Have you been using the trailer brake controller? I've had limited experience trying to engage it on hills with our horse trailer.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
SO! I have news

TL;DR: More battery capacity + modified preconditioning algorithms = longer battery warm up times, and thus more frequent regen notifications. Run the cabin heater before driving to speed process up

Long(er) Version:

Report. The SC just called me, and apparently this issue has something to do with the most recent OTA's expansion of the usable battery in the truck. The extra functional capacity necessitated a change to the preconditioning/battery warm-up process, which now takes much longer to do, hence the more frequent limited regen (especially in cooler climates)

Evidently this will be improved over future OTAs, but for now the technician mentioned that if you run the cabin heater remotely before driving, that also triggers the battery preconditioning, and so will help get things up to temp quicker than just getting in and going.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

SO! I have news

TL;DR: More battery capacity + modified preconditioning algorithms = longer battery warm up times, and thus more frequent regen notifications. Run the cabin heater before driving to speed process up

Long(er) Version:

Report. The SC just called me, and apparently this issue has something to do with the most recent OTA's expansion of the usable battery in the truck. The extra functional capacity necessitated a change to the preconditioning/battery warm-up process, which now takes much longer to do, hence the more frequent limited regen (especially in cooler climates)

Evidently this will be improved over future OTAs, but for now the technician mentioned that if you run the cabin heater remotely before driving, that also triggers the battery preconditioning, and so will help get things up to temp quicker than just getting in and going.
SC strikes out again. This was the case before the most recent update that expanded the usable battery and came with the previous update that (2022.47.0).

" Improved battery longevity, battery durability, and regenerative braking performance. Also enhanced regen availability, and you can use regen for longer durations."

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Student
Yup. I basically just assume these days that unless it’s like a catastrophic failure, the answer will usually be either “That’s within spec” or “That’ll be fixed via OTA”
Sponsored