Limited regen after new s/w update?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I live in a hilly area and thus far have never seen the ”regen limited” warning. Until post-s/w update, this morning, when it happened twice.

Anyone else seeing this post-update?

ETA: Temp was 45 degrees and I was descending a road I’ve done 20 times in the truck so far without this happening, in around the same temps.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yep. All the way down home yesterday from Mt Hood. Just kept telling me that the battery was cold and regen was limited. Even know I had it in SNOW mode with low regen.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
I'm also getting this popping up since the update. Not frequently, but more so than before.

JDMD

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physician
Same here for sure. I’d give an update but the R1T is getting an entire new battery pack at the moment. We’ll see if it persists with the new pack.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So same as I reported above on my way down from Mt Hood yesterday I had regen start limiting half way down, no cold battery warnings this time.

I thought the new update was supposed to extend access to regen for longer but that doesn't appear to be the case. One other thing I noticed is that the regen never completely went away, just down to 20% or so of full regen.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I've got an offramp on 405 that I regularly take and I usually hit it at 70 and have about a quarter mile to regen down to 0 while rolling downhill. I am almost always limited on that ramp by the time I've slowed down to 45-50. Since the last update at least *some* of the times my regen stays available all the way down to 0. It's not every time, but I do anecdotally get more regen available there than I did prior to the last update.

EDIT: This is really the only times in my driving I've ever noticed regen getting limited on me. The other instance was during the recent winter storm we had, and I got a cold temp regen limited warning 2 of the mornings when I went out for coffee.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I live in a hilly area and thus far have never seen the ”regen limited” warning. Until post-s/w update, this morning, when it happened twice.

Anyone else seeing this post-update?

ETA: Temp was 45 degrees and I was descending a road I’ve done 20 times in the truck so far without this happening, in around the same temps.
If your battery is at or very near 100%, you don't get regen...there's nowhere for the charge to go.

Other than that, try sleep. I got a turtle mode (61mph limit) after the last update. Good night's sleep (the truck that is), limit and warnings gone.

Beachbum

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Since the s/w update, I've noticed reduced regen following Level 2 charging (up to ~70%) for the next 2-3 miles. I don't recall limited regen following Level 3 charging to ~75%. Seems strange as the battery is warm from charging for limited regen.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
If your battery is at or very near 100%, you don't get regen...there's nowhere for the charge to go.

Other than that, try sleep. I got a turtle mode (61mph limit) after the last update. Good night's sleep (the truck that is), limit and warnings gone.
I always keep charge levels 70% or below, except for road trips - was probably at around 55% when I noticed the behavior.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Since the s/w update, I've noticed reduced regen following Level 2 charging (up to ~70%) for the next 2-3 miles. I don't recall limited regen following Level 3 charging to ~75%. Seems strange as the battery is warm from charging for limited regen.
Interesting, seems like I’m seeing similar behavior. I’ll inquire when I’m at the Service Center on Tuesday to correct all of the delivery-related issues.

Sponsored

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
I suspect they got more protective/conservative with the regen with a cold battery to prolong battery longevity (battery care was noted in the December update). I notice some very minor regen reduction when first driving after a ~40F night. And more significant regen reduction when it soaks below 20F

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I've noticed the regen is really limited in the mountains after the 2022.47.0 update. It's enough that I'm pretty disappointed. None of my previous EVs have had an issue with full regen all the way down mountain passes. As a result I'm needing to use the friction brakes a lot which hurts the efficiency. I would not want to drive the R1T in the mountains with a trailer with the current regen performance.

I haven't seen a difference with higher battery temps (post DV fast charging) or with low states of charge (<20%). Our ski trips are 2hrs each way and it's the same in both directions going down any longer descents.

Hopefully one of the upcoming updates corrects this issue.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
So far it seems better

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I just took a trip to Solvang, Ca. I decided to take the 154 home which is a winding downhill mountain road. With a 53% state of charge, temps in the 50s my regen was limited to about 20%. I’m not sure if I should call in a support ticket or if this is normal behavior. I’m still on software 2022.47.0. Has anyone received a fix for this?
Rivian R1T R1S Limited regen after new s/w update? D87B5BEC-39AF-4B0C-AF09-E1EC864712A1

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Seems like mine is getting worse honestly. Still on 2022.47 and regen is crapping out all the time these days. California coastal winter weather (40-60 degrees). Admittedly it’s a steep descent but it’s happening more consistently now.
Sponsored