Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Administrator
congrats!

so i guess the Rivian lottery continues... WTF Rivian.
My thoughts exactly! Glad for him but it's definitely a lottery. The first one I saw in the wild here in Western New York was ordered in August 2021, says the owner. Same configuration that I had ordered except color, in March 2021. Crazy! I am happy that I will be taking delivery on 7/26! Timeline:

March 25, 2021--Ordered
June 11, 2022--Email expect October/November delivery
July 14, 2022--Email received to confirm configuration, done.
July 15, 2022--8 Step begins. Guide states the car is built and in QC and needs to be shipped to Brooklyn. No option to pick up there or in factory. Best guess, 6 -8 weeks. Insurance quote for all autos, Umbrella and Homeowners requested.
Monday, July 18, 2022--Brooklyn Distro Center calls and says he has the truck already (over the weekend apparently). Stated it was ready to deliver Friday, 22nd. Due to being out of town, set date for Tuesday, 26 July.
July 18, 2022--Informed guide that the vehicle was ready for delivery, asked to expedite payment instructions for third party bank and insurance quote. A few hours later, received insurance quote and accepted. [Rivian/Nationwide prices better than USAA (after 36 years there too).]

Now scrambling to have wife get rid of other car while I am out of town...

Still happy with the process, could be a bit more clear in the instructions but happy to have the R1T in my hands soon.
Sponsored

brystal42

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 PHEV, Polestar 2, BMW 330i, Bronco
Occupation
Finance
Thanks for sharing your experience. Makes me feel better in a way...I'm in the middle of completing my steps and while not horrible, it's a bit of a painful process. I've decided the Rivian employees are very customer service oriented, which is great, but the overall process is inefficient.

My taxes are also incorrect and my Guide is simply saying he's being told they are correct. I finally received a response from my county DMV confirming what I thought, and have sent that to my Guide.

The trade valuation seems to take much longer than I would expect. I don't necessarily need to trade, but thought I'd at least check the values to see if it makes sense. I'm actually checking on 3 different vehicles. One value came back immediately, the second took about a day and I am still waiting on the third. The values are fair overall, but seem to be $1-2k back of other online options.

And I received a text from someone at the service center Saturday saying they could schedule delivery (pick-up) as soon as this Friday. Great! I'd like to do that. Crickets since then.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Bummer it wasn’t a great experience. We took delivery yesterday in Denver and our guy stayed late to continue showing us things about the truck (was at our house for an hour and thirty minutes).

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
These 2-hour personalized deliveries will most likely go away as Rivian scales up production and leans out the workforce.

Tesla allows 15 minutes and your off. They have plenty of orientation videos that new owners can view.

Sponsored

OP
OP

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
I am going to challenge you on this. It shouldn't matter what you are paying for your vehicle, let alone an $80K+ vehicle that you are getting for less than that, in order to get baseline levels of customer service.

Rivian absolutely needs to address the service experience and standardize it across delivery centers. The last thing they can afford to do is develop a Tesla like reputation for service.

Being exactly UNLIKE Tesla is half the reason I'm buying an R1T.
I suppose, however, my last 5 cars have been BMWs costing up to $105K, and aside from a free keychain and a coffee machine in the waiting area, the experience was no better than Rivian. Heck, when I bought my i3 rex, the BMW dealer sent me home with zero charge on the battery, and I had to rely on the Rex engine to drive my first 35 miles.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Maybe it's a service center thing.... home delivery experiences reported here have been stellar...
My home delivery yesterday was mostly fantastic. The overall buying process went smoothly and without any issues. The only problem I faced at delivery was that Rivian seemingly ignored the fact that I was transferring plates and set everything up as new plates. Minor annoyance (I have custom plates) in the grand scheme of things since I’ll be able to transfer them once the new plates are issued.

The person who delivered my R1T was friendly and not rushed at all. We didn’t end up using the entire hour allotted, because I did not need it, but it was easily my most pleasant car buying experience so far.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I suppose, however, my last 5 cars have been BMWs costing up to $105K, and aside from a free keychain and a coffee machine in the waiting area, the experience was no better than Rivian. Heck, when I bought my i3 rex, the BMW dealer sent me home with zero charge on the battery, and I had to rely on the Rex engine to drive my first 35 miles.
🙄 I know this is going to seem very pedantic to some, but I will never forget, or let go of the fact that last time I bought a BMW, from a BMW dealership, the person insisted my car had a V6 despite the fact that BMW is very well known for its excellent inline 6 engines.

OP
OP

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
My thoughts exactly! Glad for him but it's definitely a lottery. The first one I saw in the wild here in Western New York was ordered in August 2021, says the owner. Same configuration that I had ordered except color, in March 2021. Crazy! I am happy that I will be taking delivery on 7/26! Timeline:

March 25, 2021--Ordered
June 11, 2022--Email expect October/November delivery
July 14, 2022--Email received to confirm configuration, done.
July 15, 2022--8 Step begins. Guide states the car is built and in QC and needs to be shipped to Brooklyn. No option to pick up there or in factory. Best guess, 6 -8 weeks. Insurance quote for all autos, Umbrella and Homeowners requested.
Monday, July 18, 2022--Brooklyn Distro Center calls and says he has the truck already (over the weekend apparently). Stated it was ready to deliver Friday, 22nd. Due to being out of town, set date for Tuesday, 26 July.
July 18, 2022--Informed guide that the vehicle was ready for delivery, asked to expedite payment instructions for third party bank and insurance quote. A few hours later, received insurance quote and accepted. [Rivian/Nationwide prices better than USAA (after 36 years there too).]

Now scrambling to have wife get rid of other car while I am out of town...

Still happy with the process, could be a bit more clear in the instructions but happy to have the R1T in my hands soon.
Not so sure it is a lottery, but batching based on the parts they currently have available. I'd be willing to bet that nobody with my configuration has an earlier order date than me. For me, I really think it was the 22" wheels that sped up my delivery. If I had specd the 20" AT, I am sure I would still be waiting.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

You need to find a better BMW dealership. They aren't all the same. I've owned and leased i3s since 2014 and other BMWs since 2012 and my dealership treats me very well.

I went to a different BMW dealership when I had a flat in the i3 and they treated me like I was a nuisance so your mileage will vary.

Sponsored

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Wow it sounds like you found a few employees who weren't too great at their job. Staffing is a nightmare for a small company let alone one growing with a national level presence and more service centers opening daily. The fact of the matter is that it takes time to evaluate employees and put together relevant policies and procedures for your staff to follow to both ensure consistent service and to avoid silly mistakes.

Rivian is going to feel like a crap shoot for a while. That's one of the reasons so many here call it the Rivian lottery. The customer experience is all over the map. If you run into the good employees you're going to have an exceptional experience. I mean a personalized tour of the new luxury vehicle you just bought is one of the great parts of owning a luxury car. That's why people spend that kind of money, to have a level of service you cannot get without it. To miss out on that sucks. So far my experience with Rivian has been with employees who understand and provide that luxury level of service. I guess I'm doing well in the lottery thus far ::Knock on Wood::

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I mean a personalized tour of the new luxury vehicle you just bought is one of the great parts of owning a luxury car. That's why people spend that kind of money, to have a level of service you cannot get without it. To miss out on that sucks.
I freakin' loathe that about luxury companies. Just shut up and provide the luxury product. Hearing them drone on and on about whatever amazing super thing just grates on me. Rivian guide understood that, BMW and Audi didn't. Wouldn't buy from them again, would from Rivian -- I don't need 10 minutes, much less an hour showing me around a freakin' car. Just let me drive off. It's a car. It does car things. Don't bore me death telling me more about car things.

Rivian guide, was chill "if you don't want it, then we're good man. I'll try and get an early flight home then". Ended up having a beer and hanging some.

Maybe I'm weird, but I hate that "luxury" experience that is just pure waste and pomp and circumstance.

Not super relevant to the overall issues, I just need to chime in sometimes when people kind of assume that everyone wants that type of thing.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I freakin' loathe that about luxury companies. Just shut up and provide the luxury product. Hearing them drone on and on about whatever amazing super thing just grates on me. Rivian guide understood that, BMW and Audi didn't. Wouldn't buy from them again, would from Rivian -- I don't need 10 minutes, much less an hour showing me around a freakin' car. Just let me drive off. It's a car. It does car things. Don't bore me death telling me more about car things.

Rivian guide, was chill "if you don't want it, then we're good man. I'll try and get an early flight home then". Ended up having a beer and hanging some.

Maybe I'm weird, but I hate that "luxury" experience that is just pure waste and pomp and circumstance.

Not super relevant to the overall issues, I just need to chime in sometimes when people kind of assume that everyone wants that type of thing.
It's always good to be reminded that not everyone thinks the same way but saying what I said doesn't imply everyone wants that level of service. It's assumed that you can cut people short if you're in a hurry or don't want to hear them talk about the car. That's something which doesn't seem like much of an issue honestly. I have no issue telling someone I'm in a hurry or no thanks to a tour. Part of luxury service is responding to customer requests so a good level of service absolutely knows how to take no for an answer.

What I'm saying is that outside of the luxury sphere no dealers even OFFER that level of a detailed handoff. For those of us who want to learn all the little details of what a car can do and how the features all work the only cars which even offer the service is luxury or high end sports cars. It's why so many super cars have owner track days sponsored by the companies. It's why luxury cars have a couple hour handoff. Also the whole "having a beer and hanging" thing IS that level of service. You think the kid from the local stealership is going to hang around and shoot the shit when he drops off your car?

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Agree with the super car track day thing. Would be down for that.

The Audi and BMW dealership both wouldn't shut up and just let me drive off in my car. They needed to "give me the full experience" or whatever the hell. Would've cancelled the sale if I hadn't already bought it and they were effectively holding me hostage fawning over how amazingly awesome the car was to me (sorry, can't help my sarcasm).

Since I'm not near a service center, the Rivian guide flew down to deliver it with me as his only delivery for the day, and was all hyped to be able to spend all day with me teaching me about the truck. Was sad when I was done 3 minutes in, basically wasting the whole trip, so we went for a beer and hung...more as a favor from me to him because I felt bad, lol.
Sponsored