Sponsored

Lightning review references R1T (CR R1T review in Dec issue)

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I
Consumer Reports talking cars podcast team just posted their Ford lightning 1st look podcast. A couple times you can tell the hosts wanted to talk about how little they like the R1T controls. Will be interesting to see how poorly they rate the controls when their full review is done.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...driving-the-ford-f-150-lightning-a5240138028/
it was interesting the recent Munroe video of the Lightening made comparisons to other electric trucks (R1T is the only other one at the moment) and how they preferred physical controls for somethingā€™s. This will become a standard review comment for a lot of people - especially for air conditioning.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
And yet I am exact opposite. I absolutely love the clean design of the central display and central control. Buttons all over place in random, fit it here...put a blank in there since they didn't get that option...layout of the Ford, are not my gig.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The reviewers seem to be comparing plusses and minuses more from the perspective of work trucks.

Iā€™ve always considered them very different in their target audience. I see the Lightning as a truck for truck buyers who want some advantages of an EV and the Rivian as an EV for EV buyers who want some capabilities of a truck.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
The reviewers seem to be comparing plusses and minuses more from the perspective of work trucks.

Iā€™ve always considered them very different in their target audience. I see the Lightning as a truck for truck buyers who want some advantages of an EV and the Rivian as an EV for EV buyers who want some capabilities of a truck.
I completely agree. For me...and this truck...I dont need to operate the plow out front with my gloves on. If I did...I would get a F250 with whatever V8 they have now days.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I completely agree. For me...and this truck...I dont need to operate the plow out front with my gloves on. If I did...I would get a F250 with whatever V8 they have now days.
Actually, your gloves on example is a perfect example of a differentiator between the two.

With so many hard buttons, the Lightning seems to be delivering what is needed by someone who spends a lot of time wearing work gloves.

Rivian is delivering what I consider to be a more modern experience and I think the expectation is that you arenā€™t going to be using it as a work truck where you need work gloves to do your job.

edit: missed some words

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
R1T is for the valet. F-150L is for the farm.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I too am just fine without all the buttons and switches. Honestly I can find what I need faster in a computer sub menu than I can look for a switch. Not to mention all switches have those stupid pictures on them instead of words now so I have to try and figure out what the stupid symbol means and if that's what I actually wanted or not.

I had everything figured out that I was looking for in a matter of minutes in the Rivian. I might also be the only guy who likes the vents electronically controlled like that too, I just wish they stayed where you put them.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I take consumer reports with a biiig grain of salt. They've in the past rated the porsche 911 poorly due to lack of rear seat space, for instance. The only thing meant to fit back there is the money you save from the registration costs being lower due to it being a "4 passenger" car.

If I'm looking for a new dishwasher or washing machine...consumer reports it is.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
................ A couple times you can tell the hosts wanted to talk about how little they like the R1T controls. Will be interesting to see how poorly they rate the controls when their full review is done.

The R1T review is in the Dec '22 issue. (I think CR's take on cars is important, & their information is worth factoring into buying decisions)

- The R1T does not make their recommended list, but CR mentions significant positives, especially for a new car/new company review.
- CR hilites handling that would great for a car, let along a 7000 lb truck, luxurious cabin, numerous innovations, sports car like acceleration. (Agreed!)
- annoying regen braking due to no "coast" mode. (I've gotten used to this and don't find it a problem, but it often annoys people that l let drive my truck for their first EV drive)
- over reliance on center screen for controls, and lack of physical controls for air vents, side mirrors, and steering wheel adjustment The R1T gets the lowest usability score that CR can give. (I pretty much agree, while not a "make or break" lack of features, I sure hope they Rivian has future software upgrades to minimize the pain)
- The predicted reliability is below average. (agree, from reports here, seems a lot have needed service center work. In my case, my A/C is dying "again".... quite disappointing esp now I no longer get my truck taken to the 250 mile away SC, or fixed with mobile service)

Rivian R1T R1S Lightning review references R1T (CR R1T review in Dec issue) IMG_0180

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
I too am just fine without all the buttons and switches. Honestly I can find what I need faster in a computer sub menu than I can look for a switch. Not to mention all switches have those stupid pictures on them instead of words now so I have to try and figure out what the stupid symbol means and if that's what I actually wanted or not.

I had everything figured out that I was looking for in a matter of minutes in the Rivian. I might also be the only guy who likes the vents electronically controlled like that too, I just wish they stayed where you put them.
Lol they donā€™t stay where you put them last? šŸ¤£

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I

it was interesting the recent Munroe video of the Lightening made comparisons to other electric trucks (R1T is the only other one at the moment) and how they preferred physical controls for somethingā€™s. This will become a standard review comment for a lot of people - especially for air conditioning.
I must be in minority, I get the impression from reviews that people are monkeying with the AC vents multiple times every drive. Once my vents are positioned for me, I just turn the fan up/down/off. With memory profiles my wife has the vents set to her position, so it hasnā€™t ever been an issue. Same goes with mirror and steering wheel controls. I guess I just donā€™t get it. I also guess I donā€™t have to get it.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I must be in minority, I get the impression from reviews that people are monkeying with the AC vents multiple times every drive. Once my vents are positioned for me, I just turn the fan up/down/off. With memory profiles my wife has the vents set to her position, so it hasnā€™t ever been an issue. Same goes with mirror and steering wheel controls. I guess I just donā€™t get it. I also guess I donā€™t have to get it.
I don't get it either. I am now 11k in and all I ever adjust is the temp up or down. And it works perfect. I like the no buttons approach. If your need is farming or snow plowing, with gloves on, probably should be looking at Lightening when they make a F250 version someday....

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7,A3, Macan GTS
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Honestly.....Who listens to CR anymore.?
You got all these bloggers and youtubers now.....and for free ;)
Sponsored