Sponsored

Lightning F-150 Thorough Walk-through Video--Interesting!

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I like the keypad to open the door, if you happen to lock your key and phone inside.
Maybe you don't need a keypad, if the Rivian won't lock while your key is inside the vehicle. I'm way behind on technology. I also don't know how you start the Rivian, or how you shift into gears either. I wonder if this is done on the touch screen too, verbal command, or if there are buttons and a shifter. I may have missed some of those discussions.

I did see in the video where Ford has XM radio and Car Play. My wife has them in her Volt. She uses both and likes them. I've never used either, but I know that's an important feature for some. Maybe Rivian will have something better, or at least as good.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Geezzz...Ford sure is open to letting people see EVERYTHING inside and out of the Lightning. Even let people play around inside. This was posted on June 6, 2021. Sure wish Rivian would allow the same. Maybe SOON!??

That was a very nice way to get their truck in front of people. I was impressed by much of what I saw and heard, especially their treatment of the frunk. What I liked the most was Ford's comfort in letting civilians climb all over the Lightning, push the buttons, flip the seats, and open and close all the doors and cubby holes. It's almost as if they've been doing this stuff for a hundred years! Maybe new OEMs could take a lesson from the experience.

I don't think they did themselves or XM Sirius any favors by not activating that wonderful (and, hopefully available in our Rivians) source for the best in music, sports and news. Allowing people to play thier favorite tunes while they play in the truck helps the vehicle to imprint on the soul of the intended customer. Listening to Bono cry out "With or without you" and "Where the streets have no name" foster dreams of exploring Joshua Tree National Park as the Sun starts to set. Listening to a blaring, non-stop Denis Leary-like commercial makes one dream of exploring a different dealership. It was a mistake for F.O.R.D. (more on T.H.A.T. later) and I hope Rivian doesn't make a Serious Mistake by omitting XM Sirius, like they did Appl..., oh, never mind. Someone else will bring that up.

I have to admit, after all I've seen, read, and heard about the Lightning, I may be lightening my hatred for the company I've known as an acronym and a verb for 30 years this October 4th. I can still hear the voice in my head when I said to myself "You've been 'Fxxxxd Over Royally, Dude! That's not a blown engine! It's just a stuck thermosat!

F.O.R.D. has meant the same thing to me since that day.

Your experience may vary.....

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Super impressed with the frunk and multi-function armrest. Gear shifter is probably a little overdone for an EV, but sometimes those console shifters are a nice place to rest your right hand while driving. You can tell that this truck is built for utility. Tailgate, power center, V2H are all really nice features.

It’s going to be a tough choice for me, especially if Rivian’s delays mean that my timing for accepting delivery is similar for either truck. Rivian wins on performance, sportiness, offroad capability and charging (RAN). Ford wins on utility, maturity as an auto manufacturer, existing service infrastructure and an openness and communications strategy that instills confidence.

My overall decision will likely boil down to whether my confidence in Rivian continues to erode due to their comms strategy, or whether positive information begins to flow out more freely - whether that be from Rivian themselves or early drivers getting their trucks. It’ll be a game time decision for me. I really want to love Rivian, but they’ve done a major ice bucket challenge on my enthusiasm for them lately.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Gear shifter is probably a little overdone for an EV, but sometimes those console shifters are a nice place to rest your right hand while driving.
It seems needlessly complex to me, especially since I really like the rotary shifter in my Fusion Energi.

I suspect it‘s to reduce liability as a result of the fold out work surface feature. You can’t fold the armrest forward to make a desk unless the shifter is in park and folded down. The shifter physically prevents this when it is sticking up and usable.

The only way you’re going to be able to drive the truck while the work surface is deployed is by modifying the shifter in a way which is clearly very dangerous: override the mechanism and/or position sensors so that you can drive the vehicle while the shifter is hidden and physically inaccessible. That’s beyond just putting a jumper across a switch which determines if the armrest is in desk position.
Sponsored