Sponsored

Leviton announces 50A EV charging receptacle

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...vy-duty-ev-charging-receptacle-302047705.html

New industrial grade receptacle provides robust power for plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging Stations.

, /PRNewswire/ -- Leviton today announced the introduction of its new industrial grade 50 Amp Heavy Duty EV Charging Receptacle. The device is the ideal solution to power today's plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging Stations. With its robust design and performance, the receptacle can sustain the necessary extended charge time and high frequency of insertions required by plug-in EV Chargers. A weather-resistant model is available for outdoor use.

With its robust design and performance, the receptacle can sustain the necessary extended charge time and high frequency of insertions required by plug-in EV Chargers.
With its robust design and performance, the receptacle can sustain the necessary extended charge time and high frequency of insertions required by plug-in EV Chargers.

"This new receptacle offers the perfect option for homeowners who prefer a plug-in application for their EV charging needs as opposed to a hardwire application," said Maxi Zovko, product manager for the Leviton Residential business unit. "It is also the smart choice for builders of future-focused homes and MDU developments who want to provide an EV-ready environment for residents."

The Leviton 50A Heavy Duty EV Charging Receptacle is built of durable high impact nylon and features heavy-gauge, high performance copper contacts. Pressure wire terminal connections help to ensure full contact with the conductors and a high torque value is necessary to ensure proper connection; terminals require 75 in lbs. The device may be used with #4, #6, or #8 AWG copper wire only. Installers may use #10 AWG solid or stranded copper wire for the ground connection. It is backed by a Two-Year Limited Warranty.
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Interesting. That's a smart product offering that fills a need. If I had a plug-in charger I would definitely switch to using one of these rather than take my chances melting one of those other outlets that wasn't designed for continuous use.

DBL-R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Ford F-150, Rivian R1S
Occupation
CEO & Managing Member of Peak EV Solutions
Clubs

Hubbell and Bryant both make industrial NEMA receptacles :like: It’s important to note that whether installing a NEMA receptacle or hardwiring a charger that copper wire is used and most likely 6 AWG, not aluminum wire. Some homeowners have existing 240V in their garages and think that they can just wire the receptacle or charger, but the wiring is typically older, thinner gauge, and aluminum. When in doubt hire an electrician.

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
if you look this part number up, it appears to be the same as the current Hubbel industrial device 9450A. I’m thinking that MAYBE this is really the existing device, with a marketing “Rebranding” to appeal to the EV community.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

We had a 14-50 outlet installed a couple of years ago. We hired a licensed electrician and he installed great hardware. The plug is on the outside of the house. The Lectron 32a is plugged in 24/7 365 and it is amazing.

My advice......hire an electrician and let them know it is for an EV. That is what we did and the electrician installed it accordingly.

Sponsored

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Occupation
IT
Love it when brands announce products without pricing or availability information. Super helpful!

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Just to be clear here - this is essentially a commercial-duty, purpose engineered version of a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The $7 (or whatever) cheap-o version that is available at Amazon and Home Depot really isn't rated for continuous output which is required from an EV charger.

What this isn't is a DC outlet for commercial use like what is in use throughout Europe and is included in the new J3400 standard. Essentially, you bring your own cable to these and plug in. This eliminates the use of built-in cabling that is frequently an issue and allows for significant deviation from the existing dispenser paradigm -- think one payment kiosk and outlets in streetlamp poles.

I got all exited for a hot minute. :(

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Yes, it's nothing revolutionary, just a smart business move to brand it specifically for EV charging and to sell it at Home Depot (presumably, like all the other Leviton products) because right now people who wire their own outlets probably don't know the difference between the cheap and the expensive 14-50 outlets, and if they're going to cheap out by doing their own wiring my guess is they pick the cheaper outlet and consider themselves smart for doing that. Having an EV-specific outlet, and hopefully also labeling their low-cost outlets as "Not for EV use", will hopefully reduce the chance that someone makes an accidental choice of the wrong outlet. People will of course still deliberately ignore the EV designation to save money, but you can't fix stupid.

Even a lot of electricians don't seem to be very aware of the need for more robust outlets when continuously charging. Maybe they just don't have experience with EVs so they don't know it might be plugged in at full power for 12 hours or more.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
Hubbell and Bryant both make industrial NEMA receptacles :like: It’s important to note that whether installing a NEMA receptacle or hardwiring a charger that copper wire is used and most likely 6 AWG, not aluminum wire. Some homeowners have existing 240V in their garages and think that they can just wire the receptacle or charger, but the wiring is typically older, thinner gauge, and aluminum. When in doubt hire an electrician.
What is wrong with using the proper gauge of aluminum for a long run along with an aluminum to copper transition? Then copper to the EVSE.

My father is having his 80a Ford Lightning charger installed and the (family, who exclusively does commercial work) electrician said he’s planning to run 2ga aluminum from the box to the garage.

supernu8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This will be a good thing. It's not a simple matter these days to run out to a store to get a Hubbell outlet. If this option is readily available at box stores or online it would make it easier for people to make a good decision vs making something work fast.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Totally unimpressed. This new "EV" rated outlet has only a 2 year warranty and is made in Chine. The "standard" 279-S00 from Leviton has a 10 year warranty and is made in Mexico.

I prefer copper wire after the main breaker. There's no aluminum wiring in my house, which I wired. Yes, I'm a licensed electrician.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I prefer copper wire after the main breaker. There's no aluminum wiring in my house, which I wired. Yes, I'm a licensed electrician.
So it’s just your preference? What is the problem with using aluminum, as long as it’s transitioned correctly?

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

So it’s just your preference? What is the problem with using aluminum, as long as it’s transitioned correctly?
My problem with AL is that is has a high expansion/contraction range due to heat cycling. This can loosen connections. Also, unless it is properly treated, it can oxidize which reduces conductivity and increases heating issues. The only time I'll use AL wiring is the service drop if it's an overhead service and between the meter and the main breaker.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
My problem with AL is that is has a high expansion/contraction range due to heat cycling. This can loosen connections. Also, unless it is properly treated, it can oxidize which reduces conductivity and increases heating issues. The only time I'll use AL wiring is the service drop if it's an overhead service and between the meter and the main breaker.
Thanks. I will ask my Dad to reconsider going with AL for his 80a install.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I think it's good that a purpose built 14-50 outlet will be available for EV charging use. Over the years I have seen many reports of melting. Some of those were related to a poorly made plug though.

Hard wiring an EV charger eliminates two potential failure points. It also allows for faster charging at greater than 40 amps.

The plugs also require a GFCI breaker which can be problematic and it much more expensive than a standard breaker.

I always recommend hard wired for permanent home charging installation for these reasons.

If the owner insists on a 14-50 though it's good to know these exist. The Hubbell has been a recommendation in the various EV communities for years and rightfully so.
Sponsored