Sponsored

Letter from RJ Scaringe with state of Rivian update

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Attached is a letter from RJ Scaringe. In it, amongst other things, he assured us that tank turn will be designed an implemented in such a way as to minimize environmental (trail) impact and suggested that all use of this feature be done mindfully...Thank you Rivian for your support and concern of our trails and environment! Many great things to come out of Rivian in 2020 and beyond...Happy new year to all Rivian supporters!

Rivian R1T R1S Letter from RJ Scaringe with state of Rivian update Screenshot_20200101-121748_Email
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Attached is a letter from RJ Scaringe. In it, amongst other things, he assured us that tank turn will be designed an implemented in such a way as to minimize environmental (trail) impact and suggested that all use of this feature be done mindfully...Thank you Rivian for your support and concern of our trails and environment! Many great things to come out of Rivian in 2020 and beyond...Happy new year to all Rivian supporters!
Happy New Year and welcome to the roaring 20's ... 2.0!

It was nice to read that email from RJ as he assures us of the tank turn design and how minimizes trail impact and a high level of the challenges to get these EAVs to productions. But after reflecting over the entirety of the email, if I hadn't seen it posted here I would have been tempted to post it in the thread "Rivian makes cursory attempt to update pre-order holders." Still too high-level, this our mission, blah blah, format for what I'm looking for. I don't want to read too much into a New Year's email from the CEO, but i do hope it's his way of kicking of the year for "Rivian" (aka, their communication/PR/marketing/web support type departments) to be more transparent and informative on their offerings, progress, purchase process, etc. to their reservation holders and other potential buyers.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
They can't tell us what they don't yet know. And unlike some companies, they choose to wait until they do know before making announcements. I personally prefer this approach as opposed to lots of information that winds up changing.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They can't tell us what they don't yet know. And unlike some companies, they choose to wait until they do know before making announcements. I personally prefer this approach as opposed to lots of information that winds up changing.
That's true, and I agree, but only to a point. It should not preclude Rivian from making more of an effort to engage it's current and potential customers. There are other auto manufacturers developing EVs with similar if not longer time lines to production but communicate more frequently *and* effectively with the public and/or reservation holders. E.g. some have already developed smartphone apps or online pseudo configurators to not only give potential buyers a way to see and configure some basic highlevel options but also provide a central place to get updates, stay connected with the public and reservation holders on the status of development, what to expect next, etc. (Byton has done a good job with this to name one.)

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
They have to balance keeping the Secret Sauce secret but releasing information to engage customers. I would not plan on much real detail until summer.

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I am with you all getting antsy for more substantive information

Anybody going to CES next week to check out the Rivian booth? I will be at the SF event if anybody has outstanding questions they want me or others attending to ask. .

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They have to balance keeping the Secret Sauce secret but releasing information to engage customers.
I'm not saying they need to release any trade secrets or information that could impact their competitiveness. There is so much more they could be doing without compromising any competitive advantage or releasing some news too early before it's ready. Like I said, other auto manufactures looking to introduce an EV have smartphone apps and/or websites that range from summarizing the vehicle offerings to "some" of the high level options or trims that will be available like exterior and interior colors, wheel and tire options, features that are standard versus optional, expected steps in the purchase process, the delivery process, will there be delivery fees, status of their development (vehicle and/or plant in Rivian's case), warranty information, financing options, service and maintenance, etc. etc. I get it that "some" of these things Rivian are probably still working through but again this should not preclude them from making more of an effort to engage the public, or at minimum their early adopters.

As for "They can't tell us what they don't yet know," true, but if that's the case then that's even a bigger concern. It's not like this company popped up within the last year or two. They been around for over a decade. And during that time they have claimed they have been watching Tesla very closely learning from their successes and failures.

I would not plan on much real detail until summer.
I'm not, however I do expect to hear something from Rivian before that in April as that's what I was told the online configurator (a delay from 4Q 2019) should be available when I chatted with a Rivian team lead at the Normal event last October. With more manufactures throwing their hat in the EV ring, people are weighing their options and as a result have placed more than one pre-order reservation, and yes, I'm one of them. It's as if Rivian is having a hard time shedding their cloak from being in stealth mode for so long.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Pricing I don't much care about (old fart who knows there are no pockets in the shroud). Service: it's pretty obvious what they have to do there and I expect, therefore, that they will do it. That leaves charging as my biggest concern at this point. There are two options for them there. Make a deal with Elon or don't leaving us to live with EA, PetroCanada etc. Were they to strike a deal it would, for sure, help them to sell vehicles. I do not see Rivian undertaking a SC network of their own. It's too late for that. And I don't really see them making the deal. So I think we can be pretty sure that we will be found in Walmart parking lots when on the road. This is a minus for them relative to Tesla but all the other manufacturers have to live with this disadvantage too.

As for charging at home I think the currently available solutions are adequate so that I don't expect Rivian to develop their own HPWC, for example.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Excellent thread and thanks for this critique. As already noted, to say that creating a Rivian takes lots of decisions, and that these vehicles are are capable and soon to be on the assembly line is restating the obvious. The note about protecting terrain from destruction by tank turns is useful and even merits a separate post, however, the absence of substance on the R1S & T and all that go with them, underlines the present communication deficit. It’s time for Rivian to blow it’s horn. Creative communication should never be left to engineers. Remember Steve Jobs. R J it’s time to break out of your corporate shell —now & forever!
Sponsored