Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Triumph TR8; 1981 Triumph TR8; 2005 Saab 9-2
Occupation
Reporter
Hello –

I am writing this letter from our Normal, IL manufacturing plant where our teams are

working around the clock to ramp production of our R1T, R1S and commercial vans. It is

amazing to see the plant come to life through the work of so many passionate team

members.

As I’ve watched our team grow to more than 7,000 people, I’ve also witnessed the

excitement from our supporters stretch even greater. Whether you were among our first

reservation holders or you’re new to the community, thank you for putting your trust in us

and showing so much enthusiasm for our products.

We know you can’t wait to get behind the wheel of your vehicle. Earlier this summer, we

announced that deliveries would begin in July; however, the timing for the first deliveries of

the R1T has shifted to September, with the R1S shortly thereafter in the fall. I wanted to be

sure you heard this from me directly.

There are many reasons why our production ramp is taking longer than expected. The

cascading impacts of the pandemic have had a compounding effect greater than anyone

anticipated. Everything from facility construction, to equipment installation, to vehicle

component supply (especially semiconductors) has been impacted by the pandemic. Beyond

these unforeseen challenges, launching three new vehicles while setting up a multi-vehicle

manufacturing plant is a complex orchestra of coordinated and interlinked activities where

small issues can translate into ramp delays.

Our plant in Normal, IL has two separate production lines currently producing vehicles, one

for the R1 vehicles (initially R1T and R1S) and one for our commercial vans. We have now

built hundreds of vehicles as part of our validation process, with many of those spotted out

in the wild covered in unique vinyl wraps. I have been asked why we aren’t delivering those

vehicles or why we continue to test rather than deliver. We believe it is critical to both our

long-term success and your ultimate satisfaction that the quality and robustness of our

launch products truly sets the tone for what to expect from us as a brand.

I have spoken with a number of you and know we need to do a better job at communicating

specifics around deliveries. Our Guides will continue reaching out to schedule deliveries and

will be there for any questions throughout the process. We are also preparing for a multi-

city, multi-format drive program set to roll out in September. You’ll start to see Rivian

charging sites and service centers being built in your local communities; and as we head

into the end of the year, you’ll also start to see events, programs and spaces where we’ll be

able to bring our Rivian community together.

Lastly, I have spent a lot of time in the R1T and R1S in just about every conceivable

environment, and I am excited for you to experience the combination of refinement,

capability and performance – it will be worth the wait!

You’ll be hearing more from us over the coming weeks with additional updates and progress.

Thanks again for your support and being on this adventure with us.

RJ
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rich Truett

First Name
Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Triumph TR8; 1981 Triumph TR8; 2005 Saab 9-2
Occupation
Reporter
I'd be interested in hearing from customers of LE R1Ts. What are your thoughts on the delay?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm sad. Just got the e-mail. September now? Big jump.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
So what does that mean for the people who were told October or November delivery? Does that get pushed forward?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm frustrated they said July. When they were going to miss the June target they shouldn't have lied and said July. Had they said September, at that time, then I think most people would be more understanding.

But as it is, this is a huge blow to my confidence in the company.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I'm fine with it as long as long as the people who pre ordered in 2020 and later don't get their truck months before the early reservation holders do which it sounds like is happening. just good to see they are communicating more hopefully they keep up with that.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

September now, Summer 2022 s00n.... meant with slightly disappointed sarcasm...

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
I'd be interested in hearing from customers of LE R1Ts. What are your thoughts on the delay?
Wished there was no delay but certainly not coming as a total surprise. Better communication, transparency would've helped. Quality is certainly what we as consumers need. If Rivian can be more predictable for each order starting today and communicate thru their website, guides regularly, it would be good. I think they got a good product and a developing customer base. But their advantage as the first mover (EV trucks, full-sized SUV) might be starting to ebb away. I don't think any of us can take a hard dependency on the delivery dates until the test drives come about (proof is in the pudding). Love to be positive and think there's an awesome ride experience waiting in the horizon !!

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
As bad as the delay is (and continues to be). I actually feel better that we were told by RJ himself and not some random last minute email, or no information at all.

In fact I feel a lot better. The silence was deafening.

Sponsored

ActionDH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Suburban, 2019 BMW M5
The reminds me of flight delays, they’ll keep pushing in back, back, back……until it’s cancelled. The airlines don’t want you going to different airline and Rivian doesn’t want you to leave either ?

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
The reminds me of flight delays, they’ll keep pushing in back, back, back……until it’s cancelled. The airlines don’t want you going to different airline and Rivian doesn’t want you to leave either ?
:surprised:

I rese(mble)nt that remark!! lol

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
We all knew this was coming and as it's super annoying it is what it is. If there is another delay email in the middle of September i think you are going to see a lot of people jump ship.

All this being said, i like how RJ says they need to do a better job of communicating. NO SHIT.

One of the first ways you can do that is by not doing a 1 month delay that most people knew would never work out.

Secondly, how about give us something positive with the negative? Sorry, we have to delay until September, but here is a look at the UI and apps available. Or here are the dates for the upcoming events we have scheduled, etc. Instead we simply get, sorry not sorry, but you'll love the truck when you get it someday.

I'm not in marketing, i never have been, but this seems like common sense to me.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm frustrated they said July. When they were going to miss the June target they shouldn't have lied and said July. Had they said September, at that time, then I think most people would be more understanding.

But as it is, this is a huge blow to my confidence in the company.
It sucks, but I suspect that the FB post regarding issues with damaged equipment is spot on and being unable to pivot at the last minute with supply chain issues kneecapped them.

Ie: I think they were being genuine with July, and had some unexpected issues.
Sponsored