Let's talk towing

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2022 Model S, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Just chatted with Rivian to find out if the Max Pack R1T would have lower payload capacity. They reiterated that the R1T payload is 1,764 lbs and the towing capacity is 11,000 lbs. They added that while they keep making improvements to the vehicles and therefore didn't have final weights for all the different variants, they expect the same payload for both packs. Or maybe what they are really saying is that 1764 is the base payload for both to which you deduct weight of options as with any other truck. Given my towing plans, I hope this is the net payload of the higher trim! Thought I'd share.

Reactions: Max

Interferon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100DL
You actually want as much load in the vehicle as possible because in the vehicle the inertial and potential loads are largely zeroed out by regen. Those loads for items in the trailer are not.
The regen recovers energy from forward momentum. So it doesn't matter if that forward momentum comes from mass in the vehicle or trailer.
It does matter how much trailer brake is applied, because that is completely wasted energy.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes and, depending on the type of brake controller (I'm thinking of the hydraulic ones often used on boat trailers) decelleration of the trailer will cause the trailer brakes to be applied wasting energy. With the inertial type in the tow vehicle the trailer brakes will be applied whenever the rig deccelerates regardless of where the load is but if the trailer is lightly loaded relative to the vehicle the driver will reduce the controller gain minimizing braking action and heat production in the trailer brakes.

You are only going to recoup all kinetic energy from the trailer if the trailer is decellerated by the tow vehicle alone. Thus the strategy for maximum regen recovery with a trailer is to minimize the trailer braking. Obviously there are limits to the extent that one can do that.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Just chatted with Rivian to find out if the Max Pack R1T would have lower payload capacity. They reiterated that the R1T payload is 1,764 lbs and the towing capacity is 11,000 lbs. They added that while they keep making improvements to the vehicles and therefore didn't have final weights for all the different variants, they expect the same payload for both packs. Or maybe what they are really saying is that 1764 is the base payload for both to which you deduct weight of options as with any other truck. Given my towing plans, I hope this is the net payload of the higher trim! Thought I'd share.
I might add that I just recently asked the same question about the Max Pack R1T - and received the same answer as you, no change to the payload capacity. What will be interesting is to see the two GVWRs for Max and regular packs.
Somewhat similar..I asked about the load rating for all 3 wheelset options. They replied along the lines of ā€œoh Iā€™m sure all 3 will have to be the sameā€. (Iā€™m paraphrasing somewhat here). Iā€™d really like to see a close-up picture with the load rating of all 3 Rivian version tires.

Sponsored

amderin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Honda CRV
Occupation
Engineer
The tongue weight you all mentioned doesn't match what Rivian CS told me last week:
"On the R1T, the trailer hitch receiver and vehicle structure are rated for a tongue weight of 1,155 lbs."

It is also buried 3/4 of the way down this page:
https://stories.rivian.com/sizing-up-the-r1t

1shadowsabre

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 Ram 1500 ecodiesel Honda Shadow Sabre
The tongue weight you all mentioned doesn't match what Rivian CS told me last week:
"On the R1T, the trailer hitch receiver and vehicle structure are rated for a tongue weight of 1,155 lbs."

It is also buried 3/4 of the way down this page:
https://stories.rivian.com/sizing-up-the-r1t
The trailer hitch receiver rating is complete different than payload...

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Also for clarification, payload is weight capacity above curb weight. So when calculating your payload weight total, it's not just gear you put in the bed, it's the total weight added to the vehicle - driver, passengers, gear and tongue weight should not exceed payload max for safe operation. Many people choose to exceed it at times, but you should at least be aware of what you are doing.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Also for clarification, payload is weight capacity above curb weight. So when calculating your payload weight total, it's not just gear you put in the bed, it's the total weight added to the vehicle - driver, passengers, gear and tongue weight should not exceed payload max for safe operation. Many people choose to exceed it at times, but you should at least be aware of what you are doing.
Tongue weight is also generally 10% of trailer capacity, no?
in this case that happens to be very close to the payload rating.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Since I haven't seen close-up photos posted yet - I had my First Mile test drive today, and they let me take the receiver "hatch" off to poke around.

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk towing R1TReceiver

Standard 2" box receiver with 7-blade socket. No 4-pin, so you'll need a 7-to-4 adapter for 4-pin.

Rivian R1T R1S Let's talk towing R1TCameraBall
Backup cam *DOES* show the ball just fine (I had a 1-1/4" box-to-ball adapter handier than a proper 2", so it's just loose in there, hence the ball not being centered quite right.)

The "black rectangle" around the ball is the receiver cover sitting on the ground underneath. Hadn't realized it was lined up that way when hopping in the truck to check the camera. :-D

Last edited:

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Thanks for pics and description of the hitch receiver @CharonPDX.

That receiver still looks tucked under quite a bit, do you think we will all need hitch extenders for proper turning and clearance?

Cheers.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

It wasn't that far back, considering the bumper is essentially flush with the back of the tailgate.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
let me get this straight; 1,419 Ib R1T payload minus 300 Ib for two people and 90 Ib spare tire leaves 1,029 lb for tongue weight.

I have another question. What is the sweet spot for speed? going faster saves you time on the road but you lose time at the charger. This dude dropped the speed with a Y from 70 to 65 and his towing range went from 76 to 103. Going from 65 to 60 would be less and so on. I guess if the charger waiting for you is slow, it is more of the reason to take the back road and drop speed. Love to see some real world comps for different speeds with the same load for R1S and R1T.
Sponsored

Last edited: