Sponsored

Let's Ride the Dragon

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Started this conversation in the NC thread but since it's at the nexus of 4 states it makes sense to open the discussion up to a bigger audience.

Post here if you are interested in a run on the Dragon's Tail this fall , probably mid to late October or maybe early November on a weekend. It probably makes sense to start on the TN side and go uphill first (because Regen), have lunch in Cherokee, and then run back down in the afternoon.

If we get enough people who have a truck (or SUV!) people who don't have a truck yet could probably come and ride along.
Sponsored

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
Weā€™re in (depending on dates)

Though I may choose to let the wife drive the R1T while I monitor closely from a two-wheeled ā€˜support vehicleā€™.

A Rivian Dragon meetup sounds like a great idea.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Keep us posted on details. I might come up for it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
How will charging work? Seems like the only option is a single L2 site? That doesnā€™t seem like itā€™d be enough?

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

How will charging work? Seems like the only option is a single L2 site? That doesnā€™t seem like itā€™d be enough?
60 miles to a 350kW charger in Knoxville. Should be plenty of range. even with "spirited" driving.

Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Though I may choose to let the wife drive the R1T while I monitor closely from a two-wheeled ā€˜support vehicleā€™.
That does sound like the way to do it. It'd be fun to bring my FXS to ride on the dragon too.

OP
OP
kurtlikevonnegut

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

60 miles to a 350kW charger in Knoxville. Should be plenty of range. even with "spirited" driving.
It's only an 11 mile stretch of road. Even with insane consumption you'd be hard pressed to drain more than 1/3 of your SoC on the way up. Then on the way down you may not use any SoC or possibly even gain with all the regen.

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and countingā€¦.
Clubs

As long as itā€™s not a home weekend for Clemson. I like October 29th when thereā€™s no Clemson game at all!

OP
OP
kurtlikevonnegut

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

As long as itā€™s not a home weekend for Clemson. I like October 29th when thereā€™s no Clemson game at all!
I like the way you think! That timing might be perfect as well for ideal weather and scenery.

OP
OP
kurtlikevonnegut

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I think the weekend of the 29th/30th of October looks good as an option but I'm open to other suggestions if there are concerns about Halloween.

My thought is to get a VRBO or camp in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area Friday & Saturday night. It's close enough that the drive over isn't bad for a late morning start time.

Sponsored

JCElectricSUV

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLC 43
Occupation
MGR
Clubs

I think the weekend of the 29th/30th of October looks good as an option but I'm open to other suggestions if there are concerns about Halloween.

My thought is to get a VRBO or camp in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area Friday & Saturday night. It's close enough that the drive over isn't bad for a late morning start time.
The historic Tapaco Lodge is my favorite for lodging and driving the Dragon

Buck

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Limestone/Forest Edge
Occupation
Welder
Clubs

Started this conversation in the NC thread but since it's at the nexus of 4 states it makes sense to open the discussion up to a bigger audience.

Post here if you are interested in a run on the Dragon's Tail this fall , probably mid to late October or maybe early November on a weekend. It probably makes sense to start on the TN side and go uphill first (because Regen), have lunch in Cherokee, and then run back down in the afternoon.

If we get enough people who have a truck (or SUV!) people who don't have a truck yet could probably come and ride along.
Interested in joining the trip. If starting from Gatlinburg, consider taking the recently opened and unpaved Parson Branch Rd to get to US 129. That's the beauty of our trucks - fun on and off pavement!

Also, it would be criminal to not include a drive along some of the other roads around Robinsville, NC, while in the area - Cherohala Skyway and Old Santeelah Rd to name a couple.

The historic Tapaco Lodge is my favorite for lodging and driving the Dragon
I know the Tapaco Lodge has a couple level 2 chargers, and so does the Snowbird Mountain Lodge (bring your Tesla adapter).

PS my profile pic is me on a Zero DSR riding The Dragon!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Iā€™d recommend Bryson City over Cherokee for lunch, btw. And get a huge ice cream sandwich from High Test. If youā€™ve got a freezer in your truck, maybe grab more than one. šŸ˜…šŸ¤¤

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I'm somewhat local and according to my guide I should have my truck by then. Confirmed config pending fulfillment. I'd be game for the meetup.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

I would recommend not Halloween weekend, it's pretty busy in that area then. I would also stay out of Gatlinburg as traffic is horrendous in that whole area. There are some DC chargers more towards Sevierville/ Pigeon Forge that would probably help some people out. Also a few at the Harley dealership in Kodak as well. If you're going for fall colors the weekend after is probably peak color change.
Sponsored