James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
Yeah, I get what you’re saying. But I hate driving that gas-guzzler.
I used to have a lifted F250 and I feel ya. That’s why I’m contemplating keeping my current ICE and also getting the R1T

kccougar

First Name
kc
Reaction score
First Name
kc
Vehicles
Audi A6, VW Atlas, BMW 328iC, Mini Countryman, Chevrolet Colorado
Occupation
Engineer
This actually just swayed me to order one. I absolutely hate how it looks, but I spend almost all of my free-time doing animal rescue, and if I could have an electric vehicle with some self driving capabilities and a climate controlled cargo area, it would really help a lot. I left at 6AM yesterday to do an animal transport and didn't get home until 10PM. 12 hours or so of driving, and $150 in gas. I have another 12 hours of driving tomorrow for more animals. So, that will be $300 in gas over 3 days versus $90 in electricity with an electric truck. Plus, a lot less brutal on me. And I would actually be able to afford the payments then. HA!
Be careful with your estimates of range and charging costs when considering high-mileage driving. I was all in on an EV - still have my Rivian reservation - but I've cooled on it somewhat after taking a closer look at the expected savings in fuel/cost for my regular driving pattern, which includes weekly 700-mile drives.

Using Tesla's route-planning app, I found that I was better off in terms of $/mile and much better off in time with my current Audi TDI compared to an EV. High-speed, long-distance travel just isn't the sweet spot for EVs, I'm afraid.

CappyJax

Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Be careful with your estimates of range and charging costs when considering high-mileage driving. I was all in on an EV - still have my Rivian reservation - but I've cooled on it somewhat after taking a closer look at the expected savings in fuel/cost for my regular driving pattern, which includes weekly 700-mile drives.

Using Tesla's route-planning app, I found that I was better off in terms of $/mile and much better off in time with my current Audi TDI compared to an EV. High-speed, long-distance travel just isn't the sweet spot for EVs, I'm afraid.
I responded to your post. You didn't do the math right as your charging times are doubled up. You are also basing it on using charge America which is like $1 per kilowatt versus .12 cents when charging at home at night.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
Buying a BEV to save on fuel costs and time is going to be a disappointment especially if you are a road warrior pressed for time. For family use, where most of the charging is done at home (at a cost of 2¢ a mile if you have solar panels or perhaps 5¢ a mile if you don't) and an extra half hour for fueling isn't a burden it makes a lot more sense.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
Would it make more sense to have a BEV when I rarely drive highway and probably go about an average 3 miles to work? I rarely drive my truck as it is.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
This is a Rivian forum. Rivian sells "adventure" vehicles. Does it make sense to own an "adventure" vehicle? Not IMO. Perhaps I can justify it somewhat by arguing that it can also be used as a daily driver and to haul manure from the garden centre. It does make sense to use it as a daily driver if your commute is short enough that you can charge at home, drive to work, do some errands and drive home without having to recharge. Then you can get those pennies per mile fuel costs I spoke of earlier and you will actually save some time. I haven't been to a gas station in 18 months.

If you cannot charge at home, if you are on the road constantly, if every minute is precious then no, it doesn't make sense. If you insist on the BEV solution for your transportation needs becaue of, say, environmental concerns then you must be prepared to pay for that in terms of lost time and, in some cases, extra energy costs. I will say, however, that EA's prices have dropped to the point where it no longer appears that it will cost more to operate an R1T than an ICE vehicle on long trips.

Last edited:

thrill

First Name
billy
Reaction score
First Name
billy
Vehicles
i3s, z4m, hp4, (r1t)
Would it make more sense to have a BEV when I rarely drive highway and probably go about an average 3 miles to work? I rarely drive my truck as it is.
I think it makes sense either way. My i3s gets used just that way for short range, but is just a little too short range for comfort for any longer range trip. I expect my R1T mostly will also be used short range but will have longer range ability but that obviously comes at a premium. I think BEV works fine as a long distance hauler too once you're comfortable with the small challenges of planning ahead for charging. I don't plan to own any more gas vehicles - I'll rent them if needed.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
It will rarely make financial sense to purchase any new vehicle (unless as an example you financed a luxury vehicle and move to an econobox to reduce your payment).
If you, however, are going to replace/add a vehicle, looking at an EV is certainly something you should do. The more miles you drive, the better chance you have of offsetting the additional upfront costs of an EV. If you drive very few miles, the reduced fueling and maintenance costs will never catch up with the initial price hit.
For 3 miles to work, a used LEAF with a somewhat degraded battery can be had for ~$5K and will still have enough range to get you to work and back all week without charging.

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, will be ordering R1S
Many in this target market demographic buy because they want it, not because it makes the most sense logically.

I don't need another vehicle, and there's nothing a Rivian will do that my current truck, SUV, & Jeeps will not (other than blistering acceleration & hopefully incredible handling). I WANT a Rivian & am willing to pay for it because I want a BEV, want the performance/handling, and want the capabilities...a lot of wants & no real needs.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I currently drive and love my Jeep as an adventure vehicle and a daily driver. I will probably keep it even after I get my Rivian because it’s part of the family.

That being said, I get 14 mpg and with a 40 mile round trip commute to work plus just random trips to the store or restaurants during the week, I use a tank and a half to two tanks of gas every week. Much more if we go on a trip. At $65-85 a tank depending on the time of year, I am spending $400-600 a month on gas. A trip to Yosemite and back is 4 tanks or close to $300. I look forward to charging at home and will definitely save money by going BEV.

To get back on track, I like the CT. I think it’s too big for me, but I haven’t seen it or a Rivian in person. The price of the CT sure seems a lot better than Rivian. My bet/hope is Rivian will lower their prices. There is a lot more competition coming out with Ford, GM, and others. The EV Hummer will be direct competition with R1S.

discsinthesky

First Name
J
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicles
Honda Element
Sounds like a perfect bike/ebike use case to me.

Advertisement

Advertisement