Let's Compare Features CT vs Rivian. Keep it objective

peashooter

Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Lets keep a consistent format, and we can consolidate them every few weeks: Also, saying you hate the look of one or the other isn't valid. If either company said they plan to deliver a feature we should count it.

Rivian:
Features:
  1. Tunnel Storage
  2. Tank Turn
  3. Standing flap
  4. Flash light in door
  5. Premium interior finish (Wood grain etc.)
  6. Seating capacity??
  7. Bed length??
  8. Someone post the performance specs
  9. Pull out stove (seems more legit than CT)
  10. Camper add on (seems more legit than CT)
  11. AC Power Outlets in Bed
  12. Air compressor
  13. More color options
Risks:
  1. Have never made a production vehicle before
  2. Unknown software for instrument cluster
  3. Unknown software upgrades and unlocking features
  4. Unknown true mileage performance
  5. Unknown service model
  6. Limited charging stations?
  7. Unknown auto pilot support or functionality
  8. Unknown batter pack performance and longevity
  9. Cost Premium to CT
Superior Features
  1. need help here
Tesla
Features:
  1. Fully enclosed truck bed
  2. Full climate controlled truck bed
  3. LED lights in truck bed
  4. Truck bed ramp
  5. Truck bed folding all the way down
  6. Power outlets in truck bed
  7. Dent resistant frame
  8. Stronger windows (don't know if that matters)
  9. Seats 6
  10. Someone post performance specs
  11. You can sleep in bed, with full climate control and window
  12. Air Compressor
Risks:
  1. Need some risks here
  2. Don't say fit and finish, because Rivian may have the same issues, we don't know
  3. Have to wrap it for color options

Superior Features
  1. Auto pilot features
  2. Lower cost
  3. Over the air updates improving performance
  4. Instrument cluster software is proven
  5. Charging network
  6. Service network
  7. Proven manufacturer of 100,000's of cars
  8. More agile manufacturer
Potential Game Changers
  1. Sept Battery day announcement of a new battery could wipe out competition

Last edited:

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
@peashooter seems you are a big fan of the cybertruck. You know they have a forum for that truck as well?

azbill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian also has power outlets in the bed, as well as an air compressor, and I am sure it has lights in the bed, almost all truck have this feature, and many ICE trucks have power outlets as well.

Rivian even has a power outlet in the gear tunnel, they talked about that for the camp kitchen. Tesla offers a camp kitchen in the pickup bed at the rear, I would give the edge to Rivian for that feature being separate from the truck bed.

OP
P

peashooter

Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Rivian also has power outlets in the bed, as well as an air compressor, and I am sure it has lights in the bed, almost all truck have this feature, and many ICE trucks have power outlets as well.

Rivian even has a power outlet in the gear tunnel, they talked about that for the camp kitchen. Tesla offers a camp kitchen in the pickup bed at the rear, I would give the edge to Rivian for that feature being separate from the truck bed.
Added those to the list...point to lights in the bed tweet or comment from RJ

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Rivian has also stated they will have Over the Air updates.

In this interview with RJ:

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
A Risk for the CyberTruck is that what they deliver may not be what's been shown. I don't follow Tesla much but I thought I heard they were having to "shrink" the size somewhat from what was shown at the reveal.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
A Risk for the CyberTruck is that what they deliver may not be what's been shown. I don't follow Tesla much but I thought I heard they were having to "shrink" the size somewhat from what was shown at the reveal.
musk said that

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
Not sure you can put Service Network as a + on the Tesla as that depends greatly on where you live. Many potential buyers will be hundreds of miles from the nearest service center, and they have had difficulty in the past with loooong waits to get an appointment. They are shipping more and more vehicles with no expansion of service capabilities to match. Rivian will have the resources of Cox Automotive Group (one of their divisions is Pivet that has handled service/maintenance on millions of fleet vehicles with established locations and mobile service). For people not familiar with Cox, they are the umbrella corporation for companies like Auto Trader, Kelley Blue Book, Mannheim Auctions, etc. and a significant investor in Rivian

Risks with Tesla would be the tendency to rush vehicles into production/sales, but I guess that is a plus as you have it listed as "agile"?
I also highly question "lower cost" as we have no details on either to get a reasonable comparison (and Tesla pricing promises have been spotty). Rivian will not offer anything with less than 4 motors, and Tesla nothing more than 3, so a direct comparison will be a best guess.
Pricing on the TEsla will have no Fed Tax Credit available vs $7,500 for Rivian
FSD is currently $8K and will be more at order time if Elon keeps his word on the pricing continuing to rise. No extra charge indicated from Rivian for their autonomous driving package.
The exoskeleton of the CT is a new process and likely will take some time to get right. They have troubles getting fit and finish to align using traditional methods with 100,000's of thousands of cars experience with proven machinery and methods to draw from (Quality is reported to be much higher in China)
By all indications, Tesla is not announcing a new battery technology, just some incremental improvements (Elon is calling for more nickel mining and has stated they will need lots of both Nickel and Cobalt for the foreseeable future)

Since he cancelled the lower priced Model Y variants and established 300 miles as a minimum for all EV's, it is interesting that they still have the 250 mile single motor RWD CT on their configuration page.

As to the size of the CT, Musk at one point said it would be smaller, then not as much smaller as he first said, then on Jay Leno's Garage decided it would not be smaller at all. He can be "agile" and change anything about the CT at any time.

CappyJax

Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Full climate controlled truck bed
This actually just swayed me to order one. I absolutely hate how it looks, but I spend almost all of my free-time doing animal rescue, and if I could have an electric vehicle with some self driving capabilities and a climate controlled cargo area, it would really help a lot. I left at 6AM yesterday to do an animal transport and didn't get home until 10PM. 12 hours or so of driving, and $150 in gas. I have another 12 hours of driving tomorrow for more animals. So, that will be $300 in gas over 3 days versus $90 in electricity with an electric truck. Plus, a lot less brutal on me. And I would actually be able to afford the payments then. HA!

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler; Tesla Model S, Model 3 (& Cybertruck on order)
I have both an R1S and a CT on reservation. I will actually buy the first one that comes to market, probably the Rivain. But I’ll trade it for a CT based on the OFF ROAD performance of each. And the CT looks like the winner just from basic specs: it has better clearance and bigger tires. I like the 4 motor design much better but if the CT has lockers on the front that will be good enough.

I’ll buy the one that gets thru the Rubicon trail with the least damage :)

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
I have both an R1S and a CT on reservation. I will actually buy the first one that comes to market, probably the Rivain. But I’ll trade it for a CT based on the OFF ROAD performance of each. And the CT looks like the winner just from basic specs: it has better clearance and bigger tires. I like the 4 motor design much better but if the CT has lockers on the front that will be good enough.

I’ll buy the one that gets thru the Rubicon trail with the least damage :)
Keep your jeep