Sponsored

Let Us Sign Buyers Agreements: A Letter to RJ

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

Senate just rejected a couple of minutes ago a bill endorsement proposal from Sen. Fischer of Nebraska that would have further restricted EV tax credit eligibility.

NY Times coverage:

“Another amendment from Senator Deb Fischer, Republican of Nebraska, would limit the use of the electric vehicle tax credit and prohibit it from being used for any vehicle costing more than $42,000. The average price for an electric vehicle in the United States is about $66,000, compared with $46,000 for all new cars.

It also would limit the tax credit to buyers with an annual income of less than $75,000.”
I’m moving to Nebraska just so I can vote for Sen. Fischer’s opponent
Sponsored

ThatRivianGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1T (Pre-Order)
I just got off chat with Rivian. Apparently, I wasn't the first to note that I'm interested in a Preliminary Buyers Agreement today. I did email RJ. I suspect strongly that, at a minimum, pre-orders will get an email with any options we have early next week as far as PBA goes. This email might also note if Rivian meets the other requirements of the new law, particularly those on the MFG side.

I'd probably do a PBA but have to update my order first, particularly if Rivian doesn't meet one or both of the MFG requirements in the new law.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Perhaps I am missing something but, if the goal is to promote EV purchases why not make it easier for everyone to buy EVs. The price and income limits seem counterintuitive.
Yes, counterintuitive. But we have politicians on both sides whose primary goal is short term self serving actions for re-election,, not the long term interests of the country in a global economy and climate challenge.

The US has no national energy policy, part of which could be the stated goal regarding EV adoption. That in theory would provide the rationale and guidance for establishing rebates, volume caps, tax credits, etc. But instead it’s a political football where some politicians see it as corporate or wealthy handouts, while others see it as needed to drive adoption.

The Chips act is in a similar struggle. All of the competing countries subsidize foundry construction. The US politicians all say they want jobs and chip fab in the US for national security, but then some say it’s “corporate welfare” to pass the chips legislation. So more than likely, 5 years from now, we will still be in this precarious chip fab situation.

Sponsored

Bristlecone

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Retired (newspaper reporter)
Clubs

I too sent an email to RJ today encouraging Rivian to offer preorder holders the opportunity to execute binding purchase agreements before the new legislation is signed by President Biden.
I sent in my letter today as well.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Maybe he’ll get Covid for the third time in 2 weeks and that will delay it a little?
I suspect he will just sign it while in isolation. Time is running out for Rivian and other EV makers.

GR

Reactions: Jac

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
this is rather frustrating. Especially due to my personal order delays, while I watch everybody else in my new delivery window already driving their trucks, and people in later windows getting guides. I've got nothing. I've already lost out on some of the MA state truck rebate, now I could also lose out on the federal? F-ing great. Not that I NEED that money back, but I was kind of expecting it

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

But we have politicians on both sides whose primary goal is short term self serving actions for re-election,, not the long term interests of the country
Agreed.

I’ve been saying for decades that we need a Kennedy-like “we choose to go to the moon in this decade and to do the other things”-type edict to get off of fossil fuels, mainly for US energy independence. All Americans should be able to get behind that, no matter what your thoughts on the climate change “agenda”. The good news is that the environmental benefits come along for the ride anyway. Who cares what the “spin” is, as long as the message gets through?

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
Great information and suggestions. I sent my letter earlier today.

Sponsored

Gobnu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Pilot
Just so I'm understanding the new bill correctly. IF I don't get my R1S until late next year, and IF it came in under $80k, and IF I can make it under the $150/$300 ind/family limits, then it should still be eligible next year, correct? Battery and component restrictions that would dequalify Rivian start applying in 2024?

OP
OP

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Just so I'm understanding the new bill correctly. IF I don't get my R1S until late next year, and IF it came in under $80k, and IF I can make it under the $150/$300 ind/family limits, then it should still be eligible next year, correct? Battery and component restrictions that would dequalify Rivian start applying in 2024?
Nope, battery and component restrictions start in 2023.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
If you need the $7,500 tax rebate to buy the Rivian, you can't afford it. Sorry, but it's just a fact.

Look at something that's more in your price range vs relying on something that has nothing to do with Rivian.
Here comes Taycanfrank waving $7,500 around, like it's no big deal.

OP
OP

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order

Jif1025

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Occupation
Attorney
Here’s the response I got from customer service to a letter requesting a pba- it’s a non answer

Rivian R1T R1S Let Us Sign Buyers Agreements: A Letter to RJ D99FB0E5-4539-4BBF-8AE6-50D50F94D615

Rivian R1T R1S Let Us Sign Buyers Agreements: A Letter to RJ 3C7E2899-B9B6-41BB-B32F-3E8EEFD41153
Sponsored