Sponsored

Let Us Sign Buyers Agreements: A Letter to RJ

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
If the $7500 tax credit is valuable to you, please let Rivian know. It will not be available very soon unless you have a written, binding agreement.

[email protected]

[email protected]

RJ,

Unfortunately, congress has pulled out the rug on the commitment they made to start-up EV manufacturers to foster an EV market. I feel really bad that this is happening to Rivian.

As I’m sure you are aware, the “Transition Rule” in the passed legislation allows for anyone with a “written binding agreement” in place before the President signs the bill to have the option to utilize the existing credit.

Your preorder holders have (mostly) patiently borne the delays that are inherent with a start up car manufacturer. But these delays are now putting us in a position where many of us may not be able to go through with our purchases in absence of the $7,500 tax credit.

Allowing us to sign Preliminary Buyers Agreements (PBA) to allow us to utilize the Transition Rule would go a very long way toward rebuilding the trust described in your March 3rd letter.
This would also be beneficial for Rivian because it would mitigate the unknown amount of order cancellations that will occur if the tax credit is removed. It would secure and lock in your order book for the next 16 months.

I know demand is outstripping supply, but your preorder holders have been your biggest supports for literally years. Please support us now and let us sign Buyers Agreements.
Sponsored

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Great letter, thanks for posting. Mind if I steal it?

I'd agree to make the full $1000 deposit non-refundable in a heartbeat in this scenario.

OP
OP

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Great letter, thanks for posting. Mind if I steal it?

I'd agree to make the full $1000 deposit non-refundable in a heartbeat in this scenario.
Please do. I will definitely add the non-refundable deposit offer as well, great idea.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
To add to this I'd totally be down to put a non-refundable deposit to show Rivian that I am committed to making a purchase.
As I have mentioned in a few other threads, I am even willing to make full payment upfront as long as Rivian's current "risk-free" return policy doesn't change. However, unless some form of binding agreement is in place within the next week or so, it may be too late already.

GR

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
If you need the $7,500 tax rebate to buy the Rivian, you can't afford it. Sorry, but it's just a fact.

Look at something that's more in your price range vs relying on something that has nothing to do with Rivian.

OP
OP

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
If you need the $7,500 tax rebate to buy the Rivian, you can't afford it. Sorry, but it's just a fact.

Look at something that's more in your price range vs relying on something that has nothing to do with Rivian.
Not a question of need. People make all kinds of decisions for all kind of reasons. The fact that people would presume to know anyones situation, rationale or values is insane.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

We don’t live in the 1950s anymore.
Most people can’t afford next month food for their family if they lose their job.
Let’s be realistic. If companies would only accept buyers who can pay in full, this society would have ended decades or centuries ago.

Last edited:

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia

If you give condescending, unsolicited financial advice to strangers you know jack shit about, you're probably the reason for Porsche-owner stereotypes. Sorry, but it's just a fact.

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Lots of us are value conscious, and while we don't NEED the 7500 tax credit to afford a Rivian, we might well choose to spend that money on something else without it. Especially if that something else does come with a tax credit.

Sponsored

rivrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (White w/ ocean coast 20" AT)
Occupation
Engineer
If the $7500 tax credit is valuable to you, please let Rivian know. It will not be available very soon unless you have a written, binding agreement.

[email protected]

[email protected]

RJ,

Unfortunately, congress has pulled out the rug on the commitment they made to start-up EV manufacturers to foster an EV market. I feel really bad that this is happening to Rivian.

As I’m sure you are aware, the “Transition Rule” in the passed legislation allows for anyone with a “written binding agreement” in place before the President signs the bill to have the option to utilize the existing credit.

Your preorder holders have (mostly) patiently borne the delays that are inherent with a start up car manufacturer. But these delays are now putting us in a position where many of us may not be able to go through with our purchases in absence of the $7,500 tax credit.

Allowing us to sign Preliminary Buyers Agreements (PBA) to allow us to utilize the Transition Rule would go a very long way toward rebuilding the trust described in your March 3rd letter.
This would also be beneficial for Rivian because it would mitigate the unknown amount of order cancellations that will occur if the tax credit is removed. It would secure and lock in your order book for the next 16 months.

I know demand is outstripping supply, but your preorder holders have been your biggest supports for literally years. Please support us now and let us sign Buyers Agreements.
Can someone please elaborate on the situation? I am not up to date on the news yet. Although it's very likely, I thought the bill still hasn't fully passed? Is the new EV credit in motion soon and if so, how soon?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Um... Buyer's agreements won't help you. You have to place the vehicle into service. Many Tesla buyers have already been down this road trying to do paperwork before the end of a year/quarter before the tax credit was reduced. The IRS counts the purchase date, but pre-signing/buying before you take delivery in order to sneak it into a tax window is against the rules.

Can someone please elaborate on the situation? I am not up to date on the news yet. Although it's very likely, I thought the bill still hasn't fully passed? Is the new EV credit in motion soon and if so, how soon?
The new climate/energy bill still has tax credits for EVs but now there are caps on the price of the EV as well as the income of the EV buyer. Vehicles over $80,000 don't qualify so those buying R1T at the new price or those waiting for max pack, etc.. don't qualify for the federal incentives. Likewise, the F-150 Lightning is also effected. A Lariat with ER battery and max tow package is now just over $80K with the latest price changes. Will be interesting to see if Ford adjusts for 2023 pricing to keep incentives flowing for most of their F150 buyers.

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

This is the equivalent of saying, "If you have to ask what it costs, you can't afford it". It's BS.

There are plenty of us who can afford it precisely because we ask what things cost, save and spend wisely, and make purchasing decisions based on value, not because we have so much money we don't have to care about whether or not we get a measly $7500 tax credit which was always part of the calculation. That's just a fact as well.

And agree that this sort of condescending behavior is responsible for the perpetuation of Porche owner stereotypes. Perhaps you should be looking at something that more accurately broadcasts your personality and socioeconomic status, like a Hummer EV that you paid way over MSRP for on Cars and Bids.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

If you do not expect your Rivian in 2022, under the legislation likely to become law in coming days, if you do not have a binding sales contract in hand by year end, vehicles delivered after year end 2022 will be subject to the new EV tax credit law.

OP
OP

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Um... Buyer's agreements won't help you. You have to place the vehicle into service. Many Tesla buyers have already been down this road trying to do paperwork before the end of a year/quarter before the tax credit was reduced. The IRS counts the purchase date, but pre-signing/buying before you take delivery in order to sneak it into a tax window is against the rules.

The new climate/energy bill still has tax credits for EVs but now there are caps on the price of the EV as well as the income of the EV buyer. Vehicles over $80,000 don't qualify so those buying R1T at the new price or those waiting for max pack, etc.. don't qualify for the federal incentives. Likewise, the F-150 Lightning is also effected. A Lariat with ER battery and max tow package is now just over $80K with the latest price changes. Will be interesting to see if Ford adjusts for 2023 pricing to keep incentives flowing for most of their F150 buyers.
See the transition rule. It would absolutely apply / help in rivians case. Does not help Tesla as they have already used up 200,000 credits.

Rivian R1T R1S Let Us Sign Buyers Agreements: A Letter to RJ 1659830794138
Sponsored