Sponsored

diurnate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Junior Rocket Surgeon
Correct. Someone else had to point it out to me as well :) I think the default is the highest quality that you have paid for - which is fine as long as Rivian is paying for data ….
Sponsored

OP
OP
srnyoung

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks, I was actually asking about Alexa voice command support. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
That's worked (next song) since July of '22 for me.

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
With only one person mentioning it so far in the past 5 pages I guess people are not aware there are more options than Amazon Music / Spotify / Tunein / Tidal / FM / BT.

You can also enable Amazon music skills which opens up your options considerably.

For example, all I listen to is progressive house, and techno, and the only music service that has decent content is DIFM. So by enabling the DIFM music skill on your Alexa account it’s as simple as saying “play techno using DIFM”.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That's worked (next song) since July of '22 for me.
Thanks for that info! Is that with Spotify or Amazon Music or both? And what command are you giving? We could not get that to work with the Rivian employee's Spotify account during our test drive in October 2022 (at least not with the Alexa command we use with our in-home devices). It's also not listed in the Owner's Guide which still only lists:

Media and Music
“Alexa, mute/unmute/pause/resume.”​
“Alexa, turn up/down volume.”​
“Alexa, play music.”​
“Alexa, play <artist/playlist/track> on Spotify.”​
“Alexa, play Amazon Music/Spotify/iHeart​
Radio/Deezer/Kindle/Audible/TuneIn/Pandora/SiriusXM."​

Sponsored

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Thanks for that info! Is that with Spotify or Amazon Music or both?
It’s neither. It’s Alexa. Amazon Music is just being played as an automatically enabled Alexa skill. And in my example DI.FM is configured as another completely separate Alexa skill.

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Go to your Alexa app on your phone, click skills and games in the menu, then select the music and audio skills (or search as just noticed it’s not listing all available). Ignore all the crap in there such as ocean sounds but you should find other music services there too. Enable them, then hopefully you should be good.

Reason I said hopefully is that enabling skills seems to work most of the time (I recall someone previously being unable to enable the siriusxm skill) so maybe due to how the owners of the skill implemented it?

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks for that info! Is that with Spotify or Amazon Music or both? And what command are you giving? We could not get that to work with the Rivian employee's Spotify account during our test drive in October 2022 (at least not with the Alexa command we use with our in-home devices). It's also not listed in the Owner's Guide which still only lists:

Media and Music
“Alexa, mute/unmute/pause/resume.”​
“Alexa, turn up/down volume.”​
“Alexa, play music.”​
“Alexa, play <artist/playlist/track> on Spotify.”​
“Alexa, play Amazon Music/Spotify/iHeart​
Radio/Deezer/Kindle/Audible/TuneIn/Pandora/SiriusXM."​
With the Amazon music native app playing, I just say "Alexa, next" or "Alexa, next song" and it works. We don't have any Alexa devices in the house or have the Alexa app. Only configuration is with the Rivian.

Don't use Spotify or any other music app. Sorry, can't help there.

tg_cid

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Occupation
Blademaster
Ended up paying for Spotify. I don’t like it but the audio quality is so much better than Bluetooth it’s silly.

Podcasts via Overcast on Bluetooth are fine. But while I still prefer Apple Music, and that’s what i use outside the truck, the audio quality is just too good to use a non-native app.

come on, Apple Music app…

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It’s neither. It’s Alexa. Amazon Music is just being played as an automatically enabled Alexa skill. And in my example DI.FM is configured as another completely separate Alexa skill.
Yes, I fully understand the Alexa ecosystem and skills. Been using Alexa devices for many years. You obviously don't understand the information I'm trying to flush out here and the answer to my question is 100% not "neither". jemkewl's Alexa voice command to skip to the next track is being applied to Alexa's Amazon Music because, as you point out, that is their default configured music service for playing music (as indicated by jemkewl in their follow up post). My very question was to ascertain whether they were using a native Rivian app such as Spotify or Tidal to play music or whether they were using Alexa's native music (the service for which can be configured as you point out) so that I would know which option(s) support skipping tracks. Based on the evidence presented by jemkewl, you can skip with Alexa integrations (such as Amazon Music) same as for any other Alexa device. But, so far, there appears to be no Alexa voice support to skip tracks within Rivian's native music apps because Rivian would have to implement that themselves, the same as they implement the integration to open the front trunk and other vehicle specific integrations. Rivian does support Alexa voice commands to start playback of music through their native Spotify app, so hopefully skipping tracks will be added in the future.

This is a critical distinction for me as my wife is visually impaired and can not use the touch screen to operate the Rivian native music apps such as Tidal or Spotify. Her ability to control music will only be possible through Alexa voice control. Up until today, that did not seem like it would be possible because we had only been able to test voice support for the Rivian native Spotify app (the Tidal app hadn't been released at the time of our test drive and we didn't have time to try linking our Prime account to the test drive vehicle, and didn't really want to do that anyway). The feedback from jemkewl has provided positive confirmation that the standard capabilities one would expect of an Alexa device exist on the Rivian. That also means that we have the choice of using Amazon Music, Tidal, Spotify, or any other music service with Alexa integration that we would prefer to use. We just won't be using the native Rivian apps for now because they are not fully Accessible. Unfortunately at Rivian, Accessibility is an onbvious afterthought, as evidenced by this gap in Alexa voice support as well as things like the HVAC vents - shame on Rivian for not ensuring that the vehicle's features are fully Accessible.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
With the Amazon music native app playing, I just say "Alexa, next" or "Alexa, next song" and it works. We don't have any Alexa devices in the house or have the Alexa app. Only configuration is with the Rivian.

Don't use Spotify or any other music app. Sorry, can't help there.
Thanks! You've actually been an immense help by confirming a functioning voice command for skipping tracks within the Alexa ecosystem. It seems Rivian may not have implemented Alexa voice support for this capability within their own native Spotify and Tidal apps. But at least now I know for what options skipping tracks does and does not work.

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
You obviously don't understand the information I'm trying to flush out here and the answer to my question is 100% not "neither".
Nope… much simpler… when I received the notification I incorrectly assumed you were replying to me. My mistake. Chill!

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I've been an iTunes/Apple Music user for years and am unlikely to change services any time soon, so I just use bluetooth from my phone. Haven't had any problems yet.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I know most people have their favorite streaming service and probably have no interest in changing, but for those interested in exploring options, I've found soundiiz to be extremely useful in migrating playlists, etc between services.
Sponsored