Lectron L2/48A Wall Charger

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
I feel I've given Rivian enough $ at this point and I'm looking for a L2 charger for our cabin. I've already got the Riv Wall Charger at home, works great. Curious if anyone has heard of or used these Lectron chargers from Lowe's: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lectron-Le...y-Star-Certification-for-J1772-EVs/5013905995

Outside of not being able to control it from the Riv app, don't really see any reason it wouldn't work. Save me $300 too and cover the 6/3 copper and 50 amp breaker I'd need to buy! I see lots of references to the Lectron adapter on this site and other forums, but nothing on the charger itself.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I feel I've given Rivian enough $ at this point and I'm looking for a L2 charger for our cabin. I've already got the Riv Wall Charger at home, works great. Curious if anyone has heard of or used these Lectron chargers from Lowe's: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lectron-Le...y-Star-Certification-for-J1772-EVs/5013905995

Outside of not being able to control it from the Riv app, don't really see any reason it wouldn't work. Save me $300 too and cover the 6/3 copper and 50 amp breaker I'd need to buy! I see lots of references to the Lectron adapter on this site and other forums, but nothing on the charger itself.
I have no experience but have 2 of these that have been working well for me. App has features for starting, stopping, scheduling. It can automatically handle TOU rates from many electric companies.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Pretty sure you need a 60A breaker for a unit that can run 48A. A 50A would be limited to 40A. It does look like a nice unit at a reasonable price. The description says it has the option to be hardwired, so I am fairly certain using it with a NEMA 14-50 would limit it to 40A and to use 48A you are going to need to hardwire it. In that case, there are plenty of good portable 40A EVSE choices out there for a couple hundred less than this, including one from Lectron.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Save even more money and go with the 6/2 wire vs. 6/3 and hardwire the charger. No need for a neutral on an EVSE.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Looked at the Lectron site, I don't see where it is UL listed or equivalent. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but something to consider.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NooterIA

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Looked at the Lectron site, I don't see where it is UL listed or equivalent. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but something to consider.
what’s the UL mean?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I would only consider a UL-listed EVSE, personally.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Do you really need 48A or 40A? Just install a Nema 14-50 outlet at the cabin and use the included Rivian portable charger and get 32A, if you want to upgrade later then you are setup for up to 40A already or if you use the right wire just a bit extra to get 48A.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Looks like it may be less expensive on the Lectron site.

I personally don’t care if an EVSE is “smart“ or anything. I have used a dumb 40A EVSE with three different EVs now and never missed a thing. The Rivian only allows basic scheduling compared to some but that’s plenty for what I need.

I will likely choose the Emporia UL listed 48A charger if I upgrade. Yeah, it’s “smart”, but all I’m after is 48A, quality, and a price point, so the Wi-Fi stuff is basically free.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NooterIA

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Do you really need 48A or 40A? Just install a Nema 14-50 outlet at the cabin and use the included Rivian portable charger and get 32A, if you want to upgrade later then you are setup for up to 40A already or if you use the right wire just a bit extra to get 48A.
that’s what I’m doing now, but the 14-50 outlet is back in a laundry room in the garage a ways and I’ve had about enough of stringing out the monster 50A extension cable on top of the portable charger strung across the floor. A new run and a hardwired charger right where I need it would be wonderful.

Plummer43

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

that’s what I’m doing now, but the 14-50 outlet is back in a laundry room in the garage a ways and I’ve had about enough of stringing out the monster 50A extension cable on top of the portable charger strung across the floor. A new run and a hardwired charger right where I need it would be wonderful.
My bigger question is... when and where is the party?

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Never heard of them. I am really happy with the Autel 48 amp I just put in (pics in the show me thread page 15) and got it for about $400 on sale. It can be scheduled, is nema 4 weatherproof, ul listed, has an app. My second choice was a wallbox and third charge point.

As said above, for 48a you need a 60a breaker and can't do 6/3 Romex or outlet. You need to put in 6awg THHN or equivalent in conduit.and hardwire (which I think is easier then an outlet. Depending on how far you are going you can buy the liquidtite conduit in small portions or big roles and the wire by the spool or by the foot.
Sponsored