Sponsored

Learned that the Manual tonneau cover can be replaced w/ redesigned Powered tonneau via retrofit install -- can anyone corroborate?

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
I just had my First Mile event and learned that it will be possible to retrofit the redesigned powered tonneau cover in place of a manual one. This is news to me as i read somewhere on this forum that Rivian claimed it wont be possible to.

Can you corroborate one way or another this information?
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Considering they haven't finalized the design for the new tonneau yet I would take anything regarding it with a grain of salt.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

We don't even know what the manual cover looks like, let alone the new powered design one. I wouldn't count on anything until they are officially released.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I just had my First Mile event and learned that it will be possible to retrofit the redesigned powered tonneau cover in place of a manual one. This is news to me as i read somewhere on this forum that Rivian claimed it wont be possible to.

until Rivian actually states it’s possible in an official manner….their party line is still a hard no.

one person at the end of a game of telephone doesn’t seem like a concrete yes.

Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I would think it would be a goal for them. But to assume that one future thing that doesn’t exist yet is going to be compatible with another future thing that doesn’t exist yet is leaning towards optimism… hope they can make it work though!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I would think it would be a goal for them. But to assume that one future thing that doesn’t exist yet is going to be compatible with another future thing that doesn’t exist yet is leaning towards optimism… hope they can make it work though!
They could pretty easily leave the wiring and bracketry and whatever else in place for the power tonneau on trucks with the manual one…but that would make too much sense.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I really hope what you heard is correct. If they nail that redesigned power cover I would consider upgrading someday from the manual.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I feel like their service centers are going to be swamped with fixing existing units. In the future if they can make a good margin of profit of charging like $5k+ for a retrofit I can see them maybe doing it. But not sure how realistic that is especially as officially everything we’ve heard until now is no retrofit.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I thought I saw that the powered tonneau switch was missing from the new ones that didn't have it. Can anyone confirm if that is or is not the case?

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My guide pushed pretty hard on retrofit options and basically service has zero intention of taking the time, money, and effort to do it. it's the most definitive i've heard rivian be about something, tbh.

Leviathan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My guide said that trucks without the power cover from the factory will never have the ability to add it. But we can all hope she's incorrect...

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 R1T, 23 R1S, 23 RR LWB, 21 Yukon XL
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

I thought I saw that the powered tonneau switch was missing from the new ones that didn't have it. Can anyone confirm if that is or is not the case?
My RT1 does not have the power switch. Truck came without a power tonneau.

TheLTrain

First Name
Leyen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Ford Escape Hybrid

Yes, I spoke to a SC tech in San Jose this month who said the same thing. Not official yet but at least a solid rumor.
Sponsored