Sponsored

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

I'm generally a fan of Tesla vehicles (not the company or Elon), I loved my Model 3, but I just can't understand the excitement over this thing. I'm 1000% confident I made the better choice with Rivian.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I'm generally a fan of Tesla vehicles (not the company or Elon), I loved my Model 3, but I just can't understand the excitement over this thing. I'm 1000% confident I made the better choice with Rivian.
Same here. No fan of Elon, but I would generally recommend Model 3/Y or Model S (probably not the X) to someone looking to buy an EV. But I do not understand the appeal of the Cybertruck. I just don't get it. Why would anyone want the Cybertruck over an R1T or F150 Lightning? Especially now that the F150 will have access to superchargers. I can't see any justification for the Cybertruck.

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Thatā€™s a ridiculous comment.
You should tell this to C8 owners, F1 drivers (and a few others including driving instructors telling you to not use hand over hand). Then you should speak to people with only one arm/handā€¦
Need a geometry and driving lesson? It's a ridiculous comment to compare CT drivers to F1 drivers and C8 drivers, as well as the conditions that they will be driving in being completely different. I didn't realize the CT was joining the F1 and IMSA circuits?

C8 Corvette steering wheel is a completely different shape and proportion. C8 Corvette is a rounded square roughly the same distance in all 4 directions, CT is clearly a rectangle nearly the Golden Ratio.

F1 Steering is 360 degrees lock to lock, therefore 180 degrees (or a half turn) from center. F1 drivers do not need hand over hand due to the limited rotation - the rotation and the steering wheel are DESIGNED to optimize for 180 degree max in either direction. You think CT is 360 max rotation? šŸ¤£

i raced my BMWs in SCCA Autocross F Stock class for years, and had driving instructors discuss steering technique so I'm quite familiar with it. In the ideal turn in a stock class car, the hands stay at 9 and 3 and your arms cross to achieve a 180 rotation. But since stock class cars are 1.5 to 2.5 rotations, in a tight turn you may have no choice but to release and rehand the steering wheel - unless you have Gumby arms. CT is no different.

The vast majority of people who will drive the CT will be doing it at speeds below 70 mph, and on residential streets, shopping malls, and maybe even offroad where it's common to need to rotate the wheel more than 180 degrees. Putting an F1 shape wheel in the hands of a typical street driver is nonsensical and is going to cause accidents.

Rivian R1T R1S Leaked photos of CyberTruck Interior 1685102483089
Rivian R1T R1S Leaked photos of CyberTruck Interior 1685102527682

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Need a geometry and driving lesson? It's a ridiculous comment to compare CT drivers to F1 drivers and C8 drivers, as well as the conditions that they will be driving in being completely different. I didn't realize the CT was joining the F1 and IMSA circuits?

C8 Corvette steering wheel is a completely different shape and proportion. C8 Corvette is a rounded square roughly the same distance in all 4 directions, CT is clearly a rectangle nearly the Golden Ratio.

F1 Steering is 360 degrees lock to lock, therefore 180 degrees (or a half turn) from center. F1 drivers do not need hand over hand due to the limited rotation - the rotation and the steering wheel are DESIGNED to optimize for 180 degree max in either direction. You think CT is 360 max rotation? šŸ¤£

i raced my BMWs in SCCA Autocross F Stock class for years, and had driving instructors discuss steering technique so I'm quite familiar with it. In the ideal turn in a stock class car, the hands stay at 9 and 3 and your arms cross to achieve a 180 rotation. But since stock class cars are 1.5 to 2.5 rotations, in a tight turn you may have no choice but to release and rehand the steering wheel - unless you have Gumby arms. CT is no different.

The vast majority of people who will drive the CT will be doing it at speeds below 70 mph, and on residential streets, shopping malls, and maybe even offroad where it's common to need to rotate the wheel more than 180 degrees. Putting an F1 shape wheel in the hands of a typical street driver is nonsensical and is going to cause accidents.

1685102483089.png
1685102527682.png
The entire argument for the yolk was better visibility of the gauges and the road. The CT doesn't have a gauge cluster, and the new steering wheel isn't a yoke, but just rectangle. So it barely offers better visibility of the road.

Another design change just to be different, with no real benefit.

Sponsored

Deleted member 12197

1685102483089.png
1685102527682.png
I own a C8 Corvette and I agree with you. The C8 steering wheel is awesome because it operates similar to a round wheel but has better instrument cluster visibility. The Cybertruck wheel would not cut it for me.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

IMHO you also don't want this in a vehicle you drive on the public roads without all the same safety gear. The steering wheel airbag will absolutely fuck you up if you have both your arms crossed over the steering wheel when they go off.

cdub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf 2011
Occupation
Editor
Bothered by lack of stalks. Not a fan of wheel buttons
No stalks is deal breaker for me. My wife would hate it. Happy wife happy life .... Honestly I'd find it pretty annoying too. Now they seem to be being weird for weird sake.

Especially now that the F150 will have access to superchargers. I can't see any justification for the Cybertruck.
My Dad wants a lightning. I warned him about public charging. Now this no longer applies and I forwarded the news to him. Now the lightning is a great no compromise vehicle.

Crazy how this year has turned me from a Tesla superfan to having an icky feeling when I think about the car or brand. Sigh.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
I think you can sleep up there, kinda like those over the cockpit sleep nooks in campers.
Tesla out here trying to sell custom mattresses for the dash...

Rivian R1T R1S Leaked photos of CyberTruck Interior 7139da2bd6433e95f74fc7a1fbb607b2

Sponsored

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
From Rivian's perspective, this is great news. For many of us, we only buy a vehicle with the approval of our significant other. Even if I loved it, no way I get approval to drop $80k on that. They better have a version at $40k or I think the buyer pool is pretty shallow.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Itā€™s like the designer of the CT interior got their inspiration behind the wheel of a Chevy Lumina APV from the ā€˜90s and thought, ā€œLike this, but more!ā€
I was thinking more of a Yugo.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Itā€™s supposed to be finished product and thereā€™s random wires hanging down from the control panel. Ready to buy this fall my ass I have yet to see one of these trucks actually finished. At this stage most major auto blogs had reviews out of the Rivian and it made a cross country trip already
Rivian R1T R1S Leaked photos of CyberTruck Interior IMG_1439

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Yikes .. I had a preorder for a CT, but will probably cancel it now (or at least hold it to see if they flip to the crazies). I had already decided on replacing my Model 3 with a R1T just because I needed a truck. For me personally, the biggest hold back from an R1T was the bed size, so I was still thinking either CT or Silverado. Lightning was too F150 .. the most boring truck known to man .. so it was ruled out. Then I got to thinking .. I'd use the bed for something bigger than 4.5 feet a few times a year .. the interior I'd have to deal with every day. So R1T it is. I'll still hold onto the Silverado preorder .. but not sure the value will be there with the initial pricing.
Sponsored