First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
My only problem is I am looking at the large pack…not the max.
Ooops. I guess i need to take my own advice and read the posts more carefully.

I feel reasonably good that if the S comes back at 315+ epa that it will work for 99%.
You can redo the calculations starting from 300 then. and I think you will be right in this assumption.

But it will be close in winter months with teens weather and headwinds
IMO this is what the larger pack is for: insurance for the case where the weather turns suddenly or a charger you planned to use becomes unavailable, etc. Yes, it can be done. i used to drive an X with rated range of 294 and so had some idea of what that implied. The instant I saw 400 for the Rivian I plunked down my $1000.
Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
185MPH!?!?! Now THAT will really affect your range! :surprised:
Fixed the obvious error. lol

Have gotten it up above 135 and... well... let's stop talking about wh/mi at that point, and more about battery heating up and reducing available power :)

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Fixed the obvious error. lol

Have gotten it up above 135 and... well... let's stop talking about wh/mi at that point, and more about battery heating up and reducing available power :)
I am more of an acceleration junkie than a speed freak, so I never even got the Tesla above 100, but I ate up about half my battery in 10 miles going through this twisty section of road in the mountains. The way the thing pulls through a curve is addictive, but MAN your battery gets hammered!

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I am more of an acceleration junkie than a speed freak, so I never even got the Tesla above 100, but I ate up about half my battery in 10 miles going through this twisty section of road in the mountains. The way the thing pulls through a curve is addictive, but MAN your battery gets hammered!
This is the type of thing some people hear and think is some major deficiency of EVs. But it's just energy and physics.

My Mini Cooper JCW will get close to 30mpg with the cruise set at 75mph on the freeway.

But when it's on the race track, the instantaneous MPG display often reads below "5".

ICE and EVs are no different from one another while in use. Right up until "refueling"...

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
This is the type of thing some people hear and think is some major deficiency of EVs. But it's just energy and physics.

My Mini Cooper JCW will get close to 30mpg with the cruise set at 75mph on the freeway.

But when it's on the race track, the instantaneous MPG display often reads below "5".
I think the deficiency people cite is less about how the two vehicles get to empty, and more about what happens after. For your Mini, you stop at a gas station for a couple of minutes and you're on your way. For the Tesla you're stuck at a charging station for 40 mins. That's a lot of time to spend, and most folks end up thinking about energy and physics :D.
Sponsored