LE R1S Sold at Post 03/01/2022 Pricing

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
I saw this LE R1S being sold on Cars and Bids. https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KYdY7YXP/2022-rivian-r1s-launch-edition

From what the seller, a current Rivian R1T owner, has posted about why he is selling, Rivian offered him a LE R1S, even though he didn’t have a R1S reservation. He asked for LE pricing, but got the post March pricing. WTH is going on? There are tons of LE R1S preorder holders waiting that Rivian could have offered this truck to. What’s worse is that he doesn’t even want it and is now flipping it.
Rivian R1T R1S LE R1S Sold at Post 03/01/2022 Pricing D17829A7-5627-4289-8C6B-3EEE7573C8E2
Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

WTH is going on here?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There is something off about that story.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
That story is difficult for me to believe. Who would pay ~$95k on a SUV that they didn't order, nor want, just to sell it. Why not just tell Rivian to sell it and keep your own money?

Sponsored

Texasag05

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-250 King Ranch, 2022 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Occupation
EVP, paving highways to drive these awesome vehicles
That story is difficult for me to believe. Who would pay ~$95k on a SUV that they didn't order, nor want, just to sell it. Why not just tell Rivian to sell it and keep your own money?
To be honest that’s actually believable. If I was offered a rivian or H2 or any of these new vehicles at sticker I would buy and try to flip as well. So from the sellers stand point very believable. But what does sound fishy is the fact that Rivian actually made that offer to him with no reservation. I’d like to think they aren’t that horrible of a company. I mean that was the type of thing some very shady dealerships were doing when the Broncos first came out. They would sell people’s reservations from under them.

I have hard time thinking Rivian would do that. The short term gain over the long term brand credibility would not be worth it. At least I’m hoping….

My guess….dude had a reservation for LE and is just trying to pump up the price. Shady on his part but I’d rather that be the case than Rivian being the one who just sold a LE without a reservation when so many are waiting for theirs for a couple of years now.

But I could always be wrong, who knows these days.

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
It does sound far-fetched and hard to believe Rivian would be that deceptive with the community. They’ve been astoundingly terrible at PR and can’t seem to manage consumer expectations better than a third grader, but offering an LE R1S randomly to an R1T pre-order holder to try to make a higher profit on a single vehicle seems beyond illogical and stupid. Why offer it to him? Wouldn’t they be offering it to other R1T holders as well who could corroborate this is happening on this forum? Wouldn’t they expect massive PR fallout if the news were to leak - a much bigger downside risk than just offering it to an early R1S pre-order holder.

All that said, there’s one theoretically obvious answer to the question above on why wouldn’t the purchaser just tell Rivian “to sell it and keep your own money”: profit.

My guess is that same answer is also why the seller might be stretching the truth about the situation. I suppose there’s a remote possibility Rivian IS this stupid, in which case apologies to the buyer/seller for the heavy dose of skepticism.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
To be honest that’s actually believable. If I was offered a rivian or H2 or any of these new vehicles at sticker I would buy and try to flip as well. So from the sellers stand point very believable. But what does sound fishy is the fact that Rivian actually made that offer to him with no reservation. I’d like to think they aren’t that horrible of a company. I mean that was the type of thing some very shady dealerships were doing when the Broncos first came out. They would sell people’s reservations from under them.

I have hard time thinking Rivian would do that. The short term gain over the long term brand credibility would not be worth it. At least I’m hoping….

My guess….dude had a reservation for LE and is just trying to pump up the price. Shady on his part but I’d rather that be the case than Rivian being the one who just sold a LE without a reservation when so many are waiting for theirs for a couple of years now.

But I could always be wrong, who knows these days.
I agree that the motivation to just turn a profit is believable, but even with that, one has to be sitting on that much money and be willing to do the work to flip it. The chances of Rivian sending him an R1S at random without a reservation is low in my opinion...but it isn't impossible, so I make sure to say I don't believe rather than just claim its false/BS

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Hi that's my build I wouldve taken it.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
If true, I wish Rivian would make me that offer if it meant getting an R1S now and not s00n.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I doubt this is true. The way I read it this guy already OWNS an R1T and Rivian reached out and random and just offered him an R1S out of the blue. That would be like Rivian just emailing me “hey Don how’s the truck? You want an SUV to go with it?”

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
My guess is the guy had ordered an R1T and R1S at pre 3/1 pricing and now that he got the S, he decided to sell (his right to do so), and made up the story about which pricing he got to avoid looking like he’s flipping it for a big profit. If you believe his story as told he looks like a good person who’s just trying to pass along an S at little profit.

Texasag05

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-250 King Ranch, 2022 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Occupation
EVP, paving highways to drive these awesome vehicles
My guess is the guy had ordered an R1T and R1S at pre 3/1 pricing and now that he got the S, he decided to sell (his right to do so), and made up the story about which pricing he got to avoid looking like he’s flipping it for a big profit. If you believe his story as told he looks like a good person who’s just trying to pass along an S at little profit.

I agree

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Reactions: Rad