Sponsored

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
Thought there was a poll where it looked like about 40% went LE for each model.
I looked at that Poll again. It says only 12/65 people are waiting until 2022 for misc reasons. This includes both Vehicles.
Sponsored

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
I think it’s pretty safe to assume that some nontrivial number of pre order customers have still yet to login to the configurator too. Only the very excited customers are on this forum. Many probably weren’t paying close enough attention to know that the configuration tool is even live yet. Many that don’t want the LE have no real reason to even use the configurator yet, especially if they aren’t expecting to have the vehicle until 2022 or beyond.

Basically the only people who had significant motive to configure so far were those who wanted LE or those who have sustained a high level of excitement for the product even this far out. I don’t think a survey of this forum’s user base correlates as strongly with the entirety of the preordered customer base. So it makes it really difficult to extrapolate # of pre orders or # of LE configurations!
You’re absolutely right. There is no way to really know the number of preorders. Interesting that RIVIAN does not want to disclose the number of orders. The only report, in the Press, I ever saw was in Feb and the number reported was 10,000 and the Company would not confirm it.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
You might be right which would mean they had over 30,000-35,000 preorders.
That is much better math.

In the original estimate 20% cancelled out of 20K, that left 16K, and 75% of 16 K would be 12K. That is why I stated wrong assumption. If only 40% of preorders are LE, and there are really 12K available (?), then that is 30K preorders total.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
That is much better math.

In the original estimate 20% cancelled out of 20K, that left 16K, and 75% of 16 K would be 12K. That is why I stated wrong assumption. If only 40% of preorders are LE, and there are really 12K available (?), then that is 30K preorders total.
I am also taking into account the battery polls that have been put up on this forum. 61% indicated they wanted the 180KWH, and 50% indicated they would be willing to pay at least 10K more for it. So I believe at least 50% would not pick the 300+ mile range, thus they would not want the LE. On top of that, there would be a smaller percentage (10% guess) that would wait for the Explorer due to lower price.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I am also taking into account the battery polls that have been put up on this forum. 61% indicated they wanted the 180KWH, and 50% indicated they would be willing to pay at least 10K more for it. So I believe at least 50% would not pick the 300+ mile range, thus they would not want the LE. On top of that, there would be a smaller percentage (10% guess) that would wait for the Explorer due to lower price.
That one will probably apply to the R1T. I wish for a 5 seat 180KWh option fir the R1S, but since that's not an option I've configured the LE. If there is nothing new in the configurator about a max pack for the R1S until I need to confirm my delivery, ill prob just get the LE [ assuming the 3 deg folded seats]

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
FOMO is real.

I believe a large percentage of people who originally Indicated they couldn’t live without the big pack have reassessed their situation, and now the middle pack miraculously meets their needs.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
FOMO is real.

I believe a large percentage of people who originally Indicated they wanted the big pack have reassessed their situation, and now the middle pack miraculously meets their needs.
In my case the 400miles are in my wish list, not must have list.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
FOMO is real.

I believe a large percentage of people who originally Indicated they couldn’t live without the big pack have reassessed their situation, and now the middle pack miraculously meets their needs.
My current SUV has a range of just over 400 miles, but I'm the first to admit if I push it close to that it is due to laziness, not necessity. It's been below 1/4 tank for the last two weeks...

Obviously the solution is to option it up to a bigger tank, right?

I would have gotten the 180kW battery pack if it was available on the Launch Edition, but I definitely don't have a legitimate need for it.

Sponsored

Jllodahl

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR3, BMW X7, Audi Q7
Occupation
Anesthesiologist
Rivian also said we are now locked in on our model for LE. We can change color and wheels, but that’s it. You can’t switch from the truck to the SUV.

kind of bummed because I haven’t even seen the damn things in person, much less test driven one.
You could always cancel

Jllodahl

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR3, BMW X7, Audi Q7
Occupation
Anesthesiologist
In my case the 400miles are in my wish list, not must have list.
This is very true, or in my case, I will get the launch edition and likely trade it back in after a couple of years.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You can still change your order to anything you want, you would just have to wait longer for delivery. Only thing you can't do is change to LE if you haven't already configured that.

Last edited:

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
So the camp kitchen I ordered, that's locked in now?