First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee Summit - Hemi, Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
Occupation
Self-Employed
It sure looks that way... You lose the "free upgrade" aspect of the non-21s. It does make me wonder if it was a mistake.
I just spoke w customer service. They confirmed the dark rims are full price.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

jmp4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4, Tesla Model 3
Unless the silver wheel has a plastic snap-on hub and the black wheel has plastic snap-on inserts between the spokes and around the rim, these are completely different wheels.

8CE678D4-59D0-45A2-A41F-8A4C830CAEE5.png
I have an R1S LE on order... I believe the silver option you posted above is for the R1T. If you go to the R1S configurator the 20" wheels appear to be the same with the exception of the color... as far as I can tell from the website. I believe the difference is in the R1T and R1s, that is why people keep saying they are or aren't the same style, depends on which Rivian you are looking at.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Yeah, so it appears there are 4 styles of wheels. The standard ugly 21ā€™s, the r1s 20ā€™s in silver and in black, and the with r1t 20ā€™s in silver or the ā€œfilled inā€ style from the r1s in black.

Personally I dig the forged thin spoke r1t 20ā€™s, but with they came either all silver or all black. And charging a huge premium for the exact same wheels just in black is ? whatever people want I suppose.

Iā€™m personally debating between the 22ā€™s (better handling and that ā€œbig wheelā€ look and trying to find some cheap 18-19ā€™s to get more sidewall and go play off-road, vs just getting the silver 20ā€™s which are nice, and forged already but probably pricey to replace if you break one.

Rivian R1T R1S Launch Edition R1T & R1S get 20" black wheel option 6773675E-62C1-418B-8314-331D45D1B8DD

Rivian R1T R1S Launch Edition R1T & R1S get 20" black wheel option 0FFBE753-B177-414C-8E0B-CEF95093AEEB

Rivian R1T R1S Launch Edition R1T & R1S get 20" black wheel option CA09C0BD-292A-4D70-87B5-C1CEAE98B0F8

Rivian R1T R1S Launch Edition R1T & R1S get 20" black wheel option F95AF9E9-3477-4B02-8AA4-FCECC8D87650

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Wait till they charge you for the extra spare tire . . .

Seriously though, if you don't want to pay for this option, don't. Dark wheels were not an option for the LE. People asked for the option. Rivian is now offering it. Seems weird to get mad that you're not getting your extra discount with this special option. No problem with asking CS for the discount, but lets step back from the edge. We have no idea how Rivian has worked out this deal with its suppliers. IIRC, these are also forged wheels, not exactly cheap. The AT dark wheel on the R1T also does not appear to be same wheel painted black.
No one is getting mad, itā€™s just a little disappointing - Iā€™m sure the majority of us are still super excited about our Rivians. And like you say, if we donā€™t agree with the pricing, we just wonā€™t select the dark option. That doesnā€™t mean we shouldnā€™t call out what we think is unfair. Yes, they included the upgraded wheel options (the regular 20ā€™s are still forged btw) for free with the launch edition, so why not incorporate that benefit into the upgrade cost for the dark option? It might be more complicated than this but in my mind it goes:
Cost of a set of 21ā€s: letā€™s call this $x
20ā€ or 22ā€: $x + $1,800
20ā€ or 22ā€ Dark: $x + $3,500

So if Iā€™m already getting $x + $1,800 part of my launch edition, why do I have to spend an _extra_ $3,500 for dark?

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Iā€™m personally debating between the 22ā€™s (better handling and that ā€œbig wheelā€ look and trying to find some cheap 18-19ā€™s to get more sidewall and go play off-road, vs just getting the silver 20ā€™s which are nice, and forged already but probably pricey to replace if you break one.
Lots of posts indicating that 20ā€ will be the minimum due to the size of the brake rotors.

the dark rims look way better with dark paint colors, as well as white which your pics clearly show. I switched from white to limestone and the std 20ā€ wheels donā€™t look so bad with that color. So Iā€™m sticking with limestone and see 20ā€ for now which are included at not extra cost in the LE.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No one is getting mad, itā€™s just a little disappointing - Iā€™m sure the majority of us are still super excited about our Rivians. And like you say, if we donā€™t agree with the pricing, we just wonā€™t select the dark option. That doesnā€™t mean we shouldnā€™t call out what we think is unfair. Yes, they included the upgraded wheel options (the regular 20ā€™s are still forged btw) for free with the launch edition, so why not incorporate that benefit into the upgrade cost for the dark option? It might be more complicated than this but in my mind it goes:

So if Iā€™m already getting $x + $1,800 part of my launch edition, why do I have to spend an _extra_ $3,500 for dark?
I covered this in the thread above. I suspect this is a supplier discount they are passing on to LE preorder customers. If so, there is no $1,800 discount to pass on if you are not choosing a discounted wheel.

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self-Employed

Does anyone know if the 22ā€™s on the r1s are forged?

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self-Employed
I doubt it, since they specifically call out the 20s as forged and don't mention anything specific for the 21s and 22s.
I thought the dark rims were all forged? Wasnā€™t that part of the point? Iā€™ve gotten myself confused at this point.

Sponsored

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Last edited:

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
And the confusing thing is, are BOTH 20 style forged? The r1t and r1s/dark style?
I'm assuming so since the CS rep lumped all sizes together, and didn't differentiate between standard alloy and dark, but who knows! I don't necessarily trust everything they say.

FLYNPCH

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 488, Porsche Taycan, Mercedes G Wagon, Corvette C8, Morgan 3 Wheeler
Occupation
CEO
Letā€™s get a 20ā€ aftermarket thread going. I am sure if we can get wheels specs, we can find a dealer for forged black aftermarket rims.
Sponsored