Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I've done some research & am zeroing in on a couple powder coat alternatives to boring (but still sharp) black...
Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
So the 20" all Terrain dark look pretty sweet to me. But anyone hazard a guess of how much range penalty you'll have versus the 21" road or even the 22" sport dark?

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
I've done some research & am zeroing in on a couple powder coat alternatives to boring (but still sharp) black...
Would love to hear what you find. I have zero experience with powder coats. For example, what is the durability? If the wheels have to be redone every few years, does powder coating really end up being more cost effective when thinking about integrated cost over (say) 10-15 years of ownership?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Would love to hear what you find. I have zero experience with powder coats. For example, what is the durability? If the wheels have to be redone every few years, does powder coating really end up being more cost effective when thinking about integrated cost over (say) 10-15 years of ownership?
Powder coating is generally more durable than paint due to the bonding process. It can also be applied thicker than paint, thus eliminating the need for multiple coats.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I track my powder coating wheels and have tons of heat fluctuation and massive amounts of brakedust, even wetsanding they stood up flawlessly.

Below is Abuse from Track and some wet sanding/waxing to get all the tar off the front and back of barrel.

Rivian R1T R1S Launch Edition R1T & R1S get 20" black wheel option 1609210904431

Result after Finished:

Rivian R1T R1S Launch Edition R1T & R1S get 20" black wheel option 1609210964136

Keep in mind with paint you can't really do this too often as its a "LAYER" on top of the metal rather than bonded with the metal. You are more likely to get paint chips with painting than powder coating.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Awesome! That sounds pretty durable. And thus, cost effective relative to $3500 for the upgrade to OEM dark wheels.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

You pay the entire price for the black and not the price difference from the free LE wheel upgrade?
I thought the same thing. I was hoping we'd be looking at the difference between the free upgrade and the $3,500 black versions. I like all five of the variants, but would like to know the price of a second full set. For example, I ordered the 20-inch A/T set with the Launch Edition and look forward to finding out what a fitted set of the 22-inch wheels with the performance Pirelli tires will run.

Even knowing just the cost of all wheel types will be helpful, as TireRack and others have many options for the 20's and 22's. As we're all finding out, the 21-inch tire is going to rather unique, at least early on. That said, it sounds like it was designed to be a great all-around tire and the best way to maximize a Rivian's range.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

There is really no comparison to a car coming with 19s instead of 18s or whatever. In this case, going with the 20" rim is a completely different animal since it's an A/T tire. The wheel itself is definitely an upgrade - since it is forged, it will be stronger, lighter, and more expensive to manufacture. The tire is only an upgrade if you have access to a lot of dirt roads, remote spots, etc. Definitely not for everyone. I think a lot of people would be unhappy if the 20s with an A/T tire was standard.

Since we know the 21" wheel and tire combo is going to be the highest efficiency option, my guess is they went with that as standard for reasons related to marketing. They probably also know most trucks never leave pavement, and most drivers will prefer a moderate all season tire if it gets them the quietest ride with the most mileage.

None of that has any bearing on the cost upgrade for going to black wheels.
Well stated. It's always nice to have options, and now we're getting them. I think the black wheels look great, but so do the other three. While the free upgrade for the Launch Edition crowd was a really nice thing to do, I agree that many will be best served by the quieter and more efficient 21's. I just hope they're not considerably more expensive to replace due to the lack of any current option.
Sponsored