Software engineer
Clubs

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Yeah I’m not LE so have a wait ahead of me but I’d take factory delivery for sure. But based on their approach they will likely not allow factory delivery without service near the owners registration location.
I could be wrong here, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that someone from Rivian said that deliveries would be reliant on proximity to service centers at launch but then significantly less so once things have ramped up. I assume this is because they plan to have travel teams for at home repairs that work out of each regional center and it will take time for those teams to get built out and trained up to the level where they feel comfortable.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

To reiterate what electruck stated. YOU, singular, could take delivery near a service center and then move to the middle of nowhere North Dakota. Sure. That is 1 problem truck rivian has to deal with, not thousands if they shipped in preorder number order.

If you can't see that difference then there's no point continuing the conversation.

As for your comment about recalls, I think my 2016 rebel had about 4 recalls in the first 3 years. Sure, some of them may be handled by mobile units, but it is cheaper and more efficient if you can process them through a service center.

Once again, to understand the decisions by rivian you cannot focus on dealing with a singular vehicle, you need to conisder the fleet as a whole.
I understand that electruck is referring to fleets, and not singular situations, as well as his comment on service centers being used as final delivery prep, Rivian has stated that recently, so i am aware of that too. I am just giving my opinion on the topic of them being needed for recalls that someone else mentioned, as I have some experience in the automotive repair field and much more in the recall and warranty field. I am quite aware of the cost associated with service centers and mobile operations. and I'm also quite aware of day to day operations associated with it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I could be wrong here, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that someone from Rivian said that deliveries would be reliant on proximity to service centers at launch but then significantly less so once things have ramped up. I assume this is because they plan to have travel teams for at home repairs that work out of each regional center and it will take time for those teams to get built out and trained up to the level where they feel comfortable.
I think a lot of it will be based on how many and what kinds of service calls they are seeing. As they start rolling out and have this data, it will really help determine how many and what coverage areas there techs can cover.

Last edited:

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
This is a comment and not aimed towards anyone.

Members that have recently joined this forum, especially after June 1, 2021, or members that placed an order after this date, have had the benefit of knowing what we all know now, but not necessarily nearly 3 years ago.

Members that placed their orders prior to June 1, 2021 may have had an idea of how deliveries were going to be handled, but got a much better idea once Guides starting making contact. We (I) realized the Reservation number was not the biggest priority.

The way a sentence is written and the way I interpret, may not be the same for most people, but it's how I operate. When there is a list of items in a sentence, I expect the first listed as having the most priority and so on down the list. That is, unless you state it's in no particular order. For example, on my Preorder agreement, see how it's stated and this is all we really had to go by at this time, over 2-1/2 yrs. ago:

Rivian R1T R1S Latest Time Estimate for Launch Edition - via chat with Rivian 9/21/21 Rivian-Preorder

Servicing operations, to me, meant Mobile Service, in 2019. Next, look at the wording below, that is on Rivian's website. Notice how it's arranged, which seems to be more in line with what is occurring. I don't believe I had this knowledge 3 years ago.

Rivian R1T R1S Latest Time Estimate for Launch Edition - via chat with Rivian 9/21/21 Rivian

Then again, I may be the only one that believed your Reservation number meant more, in terms of calculating your delivery date. Are there any 2018, Jan/Feb 2019 preorder holders that knew then, the reservation number would be the last consideration when scheduling your delivery date? Especially those that haven't been contacted by a Guide.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I guess Rivian could have been more specific in their original preorder agreement as some customers expectations are different than they Rivian anticipated.
I guess that's why disposable lighters now have a "Make sure lighter is extinguished before placing in your pocket" warning labels.
What used to be known an "common sense" is becoming less so.

I just can't understand those that thought Rivian would go down the list by order date/time and hand build vehicles - in that order - without regard to their location or what configuration they wanted.

I always assumed that my reservation would get me the opportunity to convert to an actual order sooner than those with later reservation dates - all other factors being equal. I have yet to see anything indicating that will not be the case.

Then again, I may be the only one that believed your Reservation number meant more, in terms of calculating your delivery date. Are there any 2018, Jan/Feb 2019 preorder holders that knew then, the reservation number would be the last consideration when scheduling your delivery date? Especially those that haven't been contacted by a Guide.
Order date is a critical component of the delivery picture. That it is not the be all and end all was reinforced when Rivian went to great lengths to hide/randomize the "order number".

No other EV manufacturer (except maybe Rimac?) based deliveries strictly on order date. The most well known example would be Tesla. Deliveries of all new models have always been to select markets first.

I feel sorry for those whose expectations are leading them to feel disappointed and/or betrayed. But past history and logic should, in hindsight at least, temper that at least a little.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I've mentioned this before, but it's still relevant... I placed a Model 3 reservation deposit literally in the first 10 minutes of that being available and was definitely in the first 10% of preorders placed that night, let alone over the months before deliveries. By the time I was given the opportunity to place an order with my reservation, literally anybody in the US could do so, reservation or not. It would be hard for Rivian to handle the reservations as badly as Tesla did.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess Rivian could have been more specific in their original preorder agreement........
Thank you Gary. That would have been sufficient for your reply.

.....as some customers expectations are different than they Rivian anticipated.
Now I'm pretty sure that you didn't know what Rivian anticipated, unless you're on the inside, but using my "Common Sense", I'm guessing you're guessing what they had anticipated. ?

I guess that's why disposable lighters now have a "Make sure lighter is extinguished before placing in your pocket" warning labels.
What used to be known an "common sense" is becoming less so.
I feel this is directed towards me, tied in from your remarks above. I find it condescending. It is an appropriate statement, that I truly agree with, but not in this context.

I just can't understand those that thought Rivian would go down the list by order date/time and hand build vehicles - in that order - without regard to their location or what configuration they wanted.
?
I wish I could help you understand, but I never said that. Maybe it wasn't directed towards me. My whole point of my original post, was to show how there is different thinking 3 years ago, for some of us, excluding you, and how the thinking is now. I'm pretty sure everyone knows how it's going to work now. That could have been communicated long ago. Rivian is going to ship to whomever and wherever it wants. You'll get it, if they want to sell it to you, and you'll know it's yours when they deliver. You'll be given a date at some point, that will be subject to change.

Some got it right, such as yourself, and some got it wrong, such as myself. I said Rivian listed it in their preorder agreement, in a way (to me) that meant it was the first priority. Under no circumstance, do I want someone with a reservation 2 years after me, to get a vehicle before me. Maybe a year later, but not 2 years. I think the Preorder date should mean more, as I stated, than being the last consideration. In other words, they best figure out how to get a preorder holder his truck, before someone with a reservation 2 years later. Whether it be factory pickup, the owner arrange their own shipping, or some other method. At that point, order number best be the top priority.

I always assumed that my reservation would get me the opportunity to convert to an actual order sooner than those with later reservation dates - all other factors being equal. I have yet to see anything indicating that will not be the case.
I kind of agree with you, now, but I'm not quite sure. There are some on here that I think should have already been contacted by a Guide, considering their build, location and service availability. I think there may be more at play, but I don't know what it could be. Years ago, I just wasn't as good about assuming as you are. I'm probably still not.

Order date is a critical component of the delivery picture. That it is not the be all and end all was reinforced when Rivian went to great lengths to hide/randomize the "order number".
Why do you think the thread was started, where it asked for everyone to list their order number? Was it to see where you might be in line to receive your order, or to figure out the number of sales, or both. Only the OP would know for sure. If for a number of sales only, why not just ask for the latest order number. I agree with your conclusion, but I also think it was done, so the total number of sales would remain unknown. More so for your reason.

I feel sorry for those whose expectations are leading them to feel disappointed and/or betrayed. But past history and logic should, in hindsight at least, temper that at least a little.
It's good to show empathy. However, I feel most know what has happened and have adjusted their expectations, but I don't blame anyone for their continued frustrations, that comes from a lack of clear communication.

Scooter8511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Fusion, '16 Colorado, '98 S10 ZR2 pickup
This is a comment and not aimed towards anyone.

Members that have recently joined this forum, especially after June 1, 2021, or members that placed an order after this date, have had the benefit of knowing what we all know now, but not necessarily nearly 3 years ago.

Members that placed their orders prior to June 1, 2021 may have had an idea of how deliveries were going to be handled, but got a much better idea once Guides starting making contact. We (I) realized the Reservation number was not the biggest priority.

The way a sentence is written and the way I interpret, may not be the same for most people, but it's how I operate. When there is a list of items in a sentence, I expect the first listed as having the most priority and so on down the list. That is, unless you state it's in no particular order. For example, on my Preorder agreement, see how it's stated and this is all we really had to go by at this time, over 2-1/2 yrs. ago:

Rivian-Preorder.jpg

Servicing operations, to me, meant Mobile Service, in 2019. Next, look at the wording below, that is on Rivian's website. Notice how it's arranged, which seems to be more in line with what is occurring. I don't believe I had this knowledge 3 years ago.

Rivian.jpg

In the spirit on conversation, it's possible Rivian had intended to go by order number at the beginning, but had to shift that mentality along the way. As for the ordering of statements, my personal take is that if time-based wording isn't used ("order number, then location" for example), I try not to put much weight on the order.

I also tend to have a "pessimistically optimistic" view (expect lesser than likely outcome, and you have a better chance to have your day improved) so my view might have been different because of that.

Early preorder, proximity to factory, fortunate circumstances (not -needing- a new vehicle, for instance) and high patience to begin with has fared me well so far. Regardless of when, each day is one closer.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
In the spirit on conversation, it's possible Rivian had intended to go by order number at the beginning, but had to shift that mentality along the way. As for the ordering of statements, my personal take is that if time-based wording isn't used ("order number, then location" for example), I try not to put much weight on the order.

I also tend to have a "pessimistically optimistic" view (expect lesser than likely outcome, and you have a better chance to have your day improved) so my view might have been different because of that.

Early preorder, proximity to factory, fortunate circumstances (not -needing- a new vehicle, for instance) and high patience to begin with has fared me well so far. Regardless of when, each day is one closer.
I completely agree with this. I put my deposit down understanding I would get the vehicle when I get it based on how Tesla targets were hit. I would never make plans on getting it at any particular time or stress about when that might be.

That being said, I would like it as soon as I can get it, I’m ready when they are……

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
There are going to be people who ordered 2 years after someone, and they will get their truck first. Its just the way how things work out. I ordered my Model Y in March or April 2020, and got it in June 2020. There were people who ordered it in 2019 and I got it before them. It probably helps that I live in a state where direct to consumer sales don't require any hoops to jump through.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
There are going to be people who ordered 2 years after someone, and they will get their truck first. Its just the way how things work out. I ordered my Model Y in March or April 2020, and got it in June 2020. There were people who ordered it in 2019 and I got it before them. It probably helps that I live in a state where direct to consumer sales don't require any hoops to jump through.
I guess LE means "Last Enline " to some people here

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
With projected production, they should be able to get everyone in the same year. Unless they slow production waiting for new service centers.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As for the ordering of statements, my personal take is that if time-based wording isn't used ("order number, then location" for example), I try not to put much weight on the order.
You chose correctly by not concerning yourself with the order. I didn't. My interpretation is, if you have factors that determine an outcome, why wouldn't you list them in the order of importance? What was it, that caused Rivian to list it the way they did on the Preorder Agreement, but not on their website? 3 years ago, I really didn't know what all was involved below, but since June, I have a good idea.

....."your priority will be set by the date of payment of your Preorder fee, our manufacturing schedule, our delivery and service operations availability and execution of the Final Sales Agreement."

My post was only meant to show why (some) early preorder holders
have dealt with frustrations. These are normally the folks, that haven't been through this before, unlike those that have Tesla's. Some early reservationist have placed more (not all) importance on preorder date, than what Rivian probably intended. However, Rivian didn't help themselves by their wording in the preorder agreement.

Just to avoid confusion, I would think most have known all along that if order 1000 is going to California and 1001 is going to Alaska, they aren't going to ship that way. But, I don't think many thought it would be possible for someone that ordered 2 years later, to get a Rivian before them either. Just my take on it. Really nothing to discuss here. It was just my opinion for why there are frustrations. I could be entirely wrong and only speaking for myself. I have adjusted my expectations since the latest delay, for the 3rd time, so I'm good.
Sponsored