Latest Time Estimate for Launch Edition - via chat with Rivian 9/21/21

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
just gonna leave this here. ?
1632336784117.png
And? LE will get priority over non-LE (all other variables constant). LE is a tiebreaker, not the first variable considered. If it were, RJ would be personally delivering all of the LE vehicles, which some on here probably feel entitled to....
So it's your opinion that some major cities in mainland USA won't see deliveries until 2023 or later?
I have no opinion on the matter, because I don't know the facts (or even what city you are specifically referring to). If there is not a service center anywhere remotely close open by then, then yes, I'm pretty confident that would be the case because that is what the supporting evidence tells us. However, I have no idea what their plans are for service centers. I would certainly expect they plan to have service center network built out by end of 2022 to be able to deliver to all major markets, but I don't know.

I've seen reports elsewhere that they seem to think all LE's are delivered in 2022, so they must be planning to have all those centers open by then.
Sponsored

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Can't wait til people create a niche market for selling their reservation spots once they get a preliminary delivery date. I'm sure EBay motors is a hop skip and jump away

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
The first thing I thought about when ordering this truck was how will it be supported as a new brand and product. The fact that location near a service center may impact deliveries makes complete sense to me.
The first thing I thought of is that Amazon invested in Rivian and I trust their business decision, more so than mine. Mobile service made sense to me, as most people will be on the go. I wonder why they didn't start building service centers 2 years ago, right after the investments from Amazon and Ford.

It makes sense to me, when people do finally take delivery, some may relocate a considerable distance from where any service centers are. And, there will be many traveling outside those zones as well. While I'm sure moving will be less frequent, it will happen. Same as with traveling.

And I struggle to see how people didn't even think about this 2 years ago.
You did get me there. I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack, but I was fortunate enough to surround myself with intelligent people, that made it possible for me to afford a Rivian. For that, I'm very grateful. I will heed your advice, as this was my first reservation. I now know better.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
So, after all of that reflection and analysis, does it change anything? Knowing what you know now, would you have made a different decision back then? That's my only point, it's interesting to talk about I guess, but does it matter? Reserving early did qualify you to save thousands of dollars in free upgrades (assuming you were ok with the large pack).
I would have made a different decision. I've had to reset my Rivian expectations for the third time now. Had I known 3 years ago, what I know now about early reservations, I would be driving a new ICE truck. I would've waited until Rivian and Ford were both being produced, before I placed an order. Not because I would want an ICE truck, but because I need reliable transportation and that's all that was available in a truck. You are correct in that I would have lost a couple of thousands in the upgrades, but then again, I wouldn't have needed to buy a backup vehicle.

Because of waiting 3 years, my 2000 GMC truck now has over 317,000 miles. I had the transmission rebuilt 1-1/2 mo. ago, so I bought a used vehicle for a backup, while it was getting repaired. I'm only blaming myself, not Rivian, except for their lack of communication. Fortunately, it won't happen again, as I know how this works now.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
You get the AT wheels for no extra cost and get the option of Launch Green color. And if you live near a service center you will most likely get your vehicle in the next 6 months. That's a better position than most
But I don't want those (edit:the wheels or LG) - and those weren't on offer or promised when I put down my deposit. What was part of the deal - and I recognize no concrete/enforceable legal commitment was made - was a priority place in line for an early vehicle.

I'm OK with waiting, but what's meaningful to me is actual delivery priority (personally, this likely won't impact me as I'm in the bay area). As well as real, concrete communication about likely timing, qualified however they need to, including what I'll need to get ready for in the coming weeks/months. Doesn't have to be detailed, but has to be something honest and clear.

Last edited:

Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
So shouldn't I receive my R1T in the next month or two? Dec 8, 2018 reservation , Launch Green, Los Angeles. It's the perfect storm. Yet why do I feel like I will get my truck in June?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So shouldn't I receive my R1T in the next month or two? Dec 8, 2018 reservation , Launch Green, Los Angeles. It's the perfect storm. Yet why do I feel like I will get my truck in June?
you seem like a good candidate for "before end of 2021", imo.

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

I see service center proximity more important in issues like recalls rather than accident scenarios. If there's a safety recall and Rivian has vehicles scattered all over at extreme distances from service centers which can correct the recall, that's an issue.

In fact, that type of service issue is one of the main arguments the dealership organizations use when defending the manufacturer direct sales laws.

While you personally don't care at the distance, if it costs Rivian, they will care.
I understand this, but an argument could be made. 1) if i take delivery and travel far or move, or are on the road traveling the US, etc. and need a recall, now same boat as before without a service center. 2) mobile service is suppose to be the main way to get things done, Rivian has said this since day 1. and if you take tesla for example, they have like 120 service centers in 35 states, they still manage even though they dont have in those other 15 states because they use mobile servicing for most repairs. The lack of deliveries without service centers tell me one of two things, either 1) vehicles will be shipped not completely assembled, which i'm ok with. or 2) they are expecting to have a lot of issues with the vehicles, this part scares me. and i think they should be transparent on why vehicles arent being delivered where there is no service center even thought those areas may have mobile servicing

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I understand this, but an argument could be made. 1) if i take delivery and travel far or move, or are on the road traveling the US, etc. and need a recall, now same boat as before without a service center. 2) mobile service is suppose to be the main way to get things done, Rivian has said this since day 1. and if you take tesla for example, they have like 120 service centers in 35 states, they still manage even though they dont have in those other 15 states because they use mobile servicing for most repairs. The lack of deliveries without service centers tell me one of two things, either 1) vehicles will be shipped not completely assembled, which i'm ok with. or 2) they are expecting to have a lot of issues with the vehicles, this part scares me. and i think they should be transparent on why vehicles arent being delivered where there is no service center even thought those areas may have mobile servicing
Focusing initial deliveries around service centers works in Rivian's favor statistically. Sure customers are most certainly going to travel but they will be closer to home more often than not. It's not that Rivian thinks they are avoiding remote service scenarios, more that they are trying to minimize them as they build out their support network. I believe Rivian has also stated that the service centers will indeed be used for final delivery prep (including installation of some optional items).

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Just find a friend or relative near a service center and update your address on your Rivian account.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

To reiterate what electruck stated. YOU, singular, could take delivery near a service center and then move to the middle of nowhere North Dakota. Sure. That is 1 problem truck rivian has to deal with, not thousands if they shipped in preorder number order.

If you can't see that difference then there's no point continuing the conversation.

As for your comment about recalls, I think my 2016 rebel had about 4 recalls in the first 3 years. Sure, some of them may be handled by mobile units, but it is cheaper and more efficient if you can process them through a service center.

Once again, to understand the decisions by rivian you cannot focus on dealing with a singular vehicle, you need to conisder the fleet as a whole.

docpowell

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Adventure
Occupation
CSO
I think we all need to also consider that Rivian obviously had planned on a global pandemic that all but halted almost every advancement of construction and planning that was set into place as well as the shipping and manufacturing implications that have impacted every single automobile and technology company across the globe. The new Jeeps have even quietly discontinued the quadra-lift for the new Grand Cherokees, which is a major reason for buying a JPGC outside the number of seats. This cannot be retrofitted either, so people taking delivery of those are just forever out of luck. Semiconductor shortages have stopped or delayed every manufacturer, this isn't all within Rivian's control. So all those that are upset, should withdraw their $1000 fully refundable deposit and show Rivian that they mean business.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

It seems to me that it is a logistical nightmare that Rivian will handle in the best most equatable way possible.

Imagine if you will 500 to 5000 vehicles spewing out the doors at Rivian per day that need be delivered to many locations. Some locations 2hrs away and some 5 days away. Most of the destinations will not have a centralized location to make the deliveries. How many trucks and drivers and support folks will be needed every day?

Rivian can only fine tune the delivery system once large numbers of trucks are shipped. Unfortunately that starts with the LEs.

I can’t imagine having waited 2-3 years already but your wait is nearly over. Mine has just begun as I reserved 3/20/21.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Imagine if you will 500 to 5000 vehicles spewing out the doors at Rivian per day that need be delivered to many locations. Some locations 2hrs away and some 5 days away. Most of the destinations will not have a centralized location to make the deliveries. How many trucks and drivers and support folks will be needed every day?
Short answer = Factory Delivery.

It is a popular option for many buyers. Other manufacturers do this and even charge extra for it...

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
Short answer = Factory Delivery.

It is a popular option for many buyers. Other manufacturers do this and even charge extra for it...
Yeah I’m not LE so have a wait ahead of me but I’d take factory delivery for sure. But based on their approach they will likely not allow factory delivery without service near the owners registration location.
Sponsored