Sponsored

Latest Time Estimate for Launch Edition - via chat with Rivian 9/21/21

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I completely agree with this. I put my deposit down understanding I would get the vehicle when I get it based on how Tesla targets were hit. I would never make plans on getting it at any particular time or stress about when that might be.

That being said, I would like it as soon as I can get it, I’m ready when they are……
Had I previously had experience with Tesla, I'm guessing I would have the same outlook as you, which is a good one. I have never followed Tesla, still don't, but my daughter has been following my preorder and decided instead to order a Tesla Y. I suspect she'll regret her decision when she sees mine.
?
Sponsored

Deleted member 3282

From my previous conversation with CS a few months ago, you are 100% right. I sent CS a lengthy email stating my disappointment and I received a phone call the next day from a higher up basically stating this, he worded it in a way to make it clear that this is what will happen without actually saying it. It disappointed me that a day 1 reservation holder could potentially get their launch edition vehicle after someone who orders 3 years later and doesnt even qualify to receive a launch edition vehicle and on top of that they could even have more options to choose from than the person who dropped $1000 3 years earlier.
I agree with @metalic5 and @Dbeglor . But I expect, in the long run (ie, the coming years), LE owners are going to get some extra attention/love from the Rivian CS dept. The CS department can directly control production and delivery timelines, but (again, over time) they should be able to sign-off/approve waivers on various fees, extended Memberships, etc for LE owners. I will be surprised and disappointed if something like this doesn't happen.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
....."your priority will be set by the date of payment of your Preorder fee, our manufacturing schedule, our delivery and service operations availability and execution of the Final Sales Agreement."
To clarify, you thought that they would deliver to all day 1 holders first, then sort within that group based on manufacturing schedule (configuration), and then look to delivery and service operations before asking you to sign a Sales Agreement? They then place a hold on all other deliveries until they can fil everybody from day 1?
After all those deliveries were complete, they would then look at day 2 reservations and repeat the process? and so on, and so on, and so on?

The only way all listed factors can have relevance is if order date is used only after the other preconditions are met - they are producing vehicles that match your configuration and service and delivery is available

If date was the primary factor, the others would have virtually no influence.

Most (or all) of those complaining have no issue with the manufacturing schedule. They seem OK with making the R1T before the R1S, and LE before other configurations.
They just don't like the service/delivery availability requirement. Both are listed after order date.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Some people keep mentioning a media embargo. Little confused on what this means. They can't report about it until Monday???

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Some people keep mentioning a media embargo. Little confused on what this means. They can't report about it until Monday???
Correct. Some times reporters are given information about an upcoming announcement/release prior to the actual date. So the embargo dictates that they cannot report or write anything about the topic until on/after that date.

Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
To clarify, you thought that they would deliver to all day 1 holders first, then sort within that group based on manufacturing schedule (configuration), and then look to delivery and service operations before asking you to sign a Sales Agreement?
No. I didn't even give it any thought, one way or the other. My biggest mistake was misinterpreting the Preorder agreement wording and assigning a value to the way it was listed.

The only way all listed factors can have relevance is if order date is used only after the other preconditions are met - they are producing vehicles that match your configuration and service and delivery is available
I understand perfectly what you wrote above. Why didn't Rivian make it that clear? Instead, Preorder date was at the top of their list. I think with all the discussion that's been going on, the below is not really necessary now, but it would have been good to see, for me, 3 years ago. I might have been more inclined to ask questions.

It didn't occur to me, until June, that someone two years later than me could get a Rivian before me. Like I mentioned in another post, this will never happen to me again, so I'm okay. You learn. The original post was only to show why there has been frustration on some early preorder holders. Nothing to discuss, just a statement.

....."your priority will be set by our manufacturing schedule and our delivery and service operations availability (State /City Location of Service Centers). Once these factors have been determined, then the date of payment of your Preorder fee will apply and we'll be able to provide you with an approximate delivery date, subject to change. If agreeable, the execution of the Final Sales Agreement will be signed prior to production."

Reactions: Rad

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Its the same thing as when Apple or Samsung release a new product. They will let sites like CNET or the Verge preview the products early, but they have to sign an NDA and can't release any articles about it until a certain date.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I agree with @metalic5 and @Dbeglor . But I expect, in the long run (ie, the coming years), LE owners are going to get some extra attention/love from the Rivian CS dept. The CS department can directly control production and delivery timelines, but (again, over time) they should be able to sign-off/approve waivers on various fees, extended Memberships, etc for LE owners. I will be surprised and disappointed if something like this doesn't happen.
That’s some impressive entitlement.
LE owners already get priority delivery, exclusive paint color, and a free wheel/tire upgrade…. But you’ll be upset if you don’t get MORE. Okay.

Deleted member 3282

That’s some impressive entitlement.
LE owners already get priority delivery, exclusive paint color, and a free wheel/tire upgrade…. But you’ll be upset if you don’t get MORE. Okay.
Boy, got to be careful posting on these forums.

I'm not an LE pre-order. I don't think there will be a formal entitlement policy to LE owners, I just anticipate (expect) CS will give them some extra love/attention. Time will tell. And how about I'll be surprised (disappointed) if LE owners don't end up getting it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Boy, got to be careful posting on these forums.

I'm not an LE pre-order. I don't think there will be a formal entitlement policy to LE owners, I just anticipate (expect) CS will give them some extra love/attention. Time will tell. And how about I'll be surprised (disappointed) if LE owners don't end up getting it.
Yes, I think being surprised is one thing, and can be quite different from disappointed.

Getting a point across on the Internet without someone taking it the wrong way is futile, unfortunately.

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I have recently started including delivery with my estimates of production capability. At some point the number of vehicles out the production doors has to at least match the number of vehicles out of the parking lot.

IMHO deliveries is a huge logistical nightmare especially for Rivian who has 0 experience doing it. I can imagine in the first 6 months that sold vehicles could sit in the parking lot for a considerable amount of time waiting to be transported.

Lets not forget that Rivian is NOT yet a volume producer of cars. IMO they are carefully and methodically work towards that goal in a very difficult environment. It is going to take time.

Last edited:

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I have recently started including delivery with my estimates of production capability. At some point the number of vehicles out the production doors has to at least match the number of vehicles out of the parking lot.

IMHO deliveries is a huge logistical nightmare especially for Rivian who has 0 experience doing it. I can imagine in the first 6 months that sold vehicles could sit in the parking lot for a considerable amount of time waiting to be transported.
I agree, so once again I will bring this up: Factory Delivery.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
deliveries is a huge logistical nightmare especially for Rivian who has 0 experience doing it.
So many people reference this and I guess at the root of the statement it is accurate that they have zero experience.

My take is that as a company yes but I am sure they have assembled a team that has a lot of experience doing this. As long as the assembled team is allowed to do what they know how to do without undue influence by people that think they know better, I see no reason they can not be very proficient at ramping up at a decent rate.

Now about that supply chain.... :-(

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
the neat thing about supply chain and deliveries -

There are companies that this is their sole job. There are big consulting firms that help you design things from the ground up. You don't have to stand there, guess, and hope you hired the right person. You could contract a supply logistics company to do all the deliveries.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
So many people reference this and I guess at the root of the statement it is accurate that they have zero experience.

My take is that as a company yes but I am sure they have assembled a team that has a lot of experience doing this.
Agreed, it would be silly to propose that Rivian (or any other startup looking to build a product) has not brought onboard experienced professionals in these fields.

Are we expecting that this would be true of all aspects of their line of business? That is, they decided to design an all new brake pads because they are a startup and couldn't just pull something off the shelf? They had to go reinvent a suspension system because they were a startup and had to do it all in house and didn't bring in experienced designers and engineers to design theirs?

...no.

And the same will extend to areas like real-estate acquisition for Service Centers and show rooms, manufacturing, paint application, building a delivery network, etc...

They are not inventing the wheel or fire here, and they are smart enough to bring on folks that can build these systems and processes up effectively and efficiently.

That said, they still have to build them up, so yeah... an LE owner in BFE will probably get their order after a non-LE owner located near a transport hub/delivery node/service center or network. As they build out these services and networks.

They might be good, but they are not magical.
Sponsored