Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

I couldn’t find anything on the forums or Rivian website about whether Rivian would be latch system compatible and locations. Also couldn’t find an appropriate thread for this so mods feel free to move if it belongs somewhere else.

CS emailed me these diagrams for the R1S, so I figured I would share for other interested parents/grandparents.

Also confirmed with CS that middle row seats will slide forward without collapsing the back for third row entry without taking car seats out and to make more leg room in third row.

Rivian R1T R1S Latch system & anchor points for child seat / boosters in R1S SUV Rivian R1S 2nd row child seat anchors

Rivian R1T R1S Latch system & anchor points for child seat / boosters in R1S SUV Rivian R1S 3rd row child seat anchors
Sponsored

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

Lol customer service can't tell me what the R1S curb weight is, but is out here emailing CAD files of seats?
Hahaha. I was incredibly surprised by this as well. I think it depends on the day and your CS agent. I have been requesting this information for weeks and prior to yesterday received the same “good question, I will have to look into that, but the information is not currently available to me” response. Yesterday’s agent sent this and promised to email additional details on middle row seat functionality/movement.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Also confirmed with CS that middle row seats will slide forward without collapsing the back for third row entry without taking car seats out and to make more leg room in third row.
God I hope the CS rep had the right info. If so, its X-mas in may!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Lol customer service can't tell me what the R1S curb weight is, but is out here emailing CAD files of seats?
Should be just shy of 6K lbs. Initial specs said 58xx.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

God I hope the CS rep had the right info. If so, its X-mas in may!
I pushed back on him over this, as I had not heard this confirmed anywhere else. He pointed out that the second row seat image, front view has a blue bar under the seat. He said that is the release to slide it forward or back without lowering the seat back. This jives with how the second row slide operates in a lot of SUVs and minivans, so hopefully he has it right.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I pushed back on him over this, as I had not heard this confirmed anywhere else. He pointed out that the second row seat image, front view has a blue bar under the seat. He said that is the release to slide it forward or back without lowering the seat back. This jives with how the second row slide operates in a lot of SUVs and minivans, so hopefully he has it right.
Thank you. They had given me the same info a while ago.... But then another CS rep had told me they werent sure anymore that they would offer the feature. It was a dealbreaker for me - Im very happy to have it reconfirmed much closer to launch.

Last edited:

Matt D.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
This is unfortunate news for people with more than 2 kids still in car seats (me). I remember asking about ISOFIX attachments when I placed my preorder and was told the plan was to include them in the third row. To me, this is a miss for Rivian.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is unfortunate news for people with more than 2 kids still in car seats (me). I remember asking about ISOFIX attachments when I placed my preorder and was told the plan was to include them in the third row. To me, this is a miss for Rivian.
Out of curiosity, how many children & how old?

Personally, I'd have the youngest two in the outboard 2nd row seats (easiest for the parents), 3rd youngest in the 2nd row middle that could also use the ISOFIX, and then any older children could use boosters in the 3rd row, right?

Matt D.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
Out of curiosity, how many children & how old?

Personally, I'd have the youngest two in the outboard 2nd row seats (easiest for the parents), 3rd youngest in the 2nd row middle that could also use the ISOFIX, and then any older children could use boosters in the 3rd row, right?
I have twins. The oldest is 2 years older. All are going to be in car seats for at least another year or 2.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have twins. The oldest is 2 years older. All are going to be in car seats for at least another year or 2.
I was wondering if twins/multiples were in your equation. My kids have all been tall & have moved to boosters around the age of 4.

Hopefully you could still do 3 anchored seats in the 2nd row, and still have access to the 3rd row for older kids/boosters.

RivianuserR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40, Volkswagen E-Golf
Why is this bad news if you have more than 2 kids in car seats? My car seat brand actually recommends NOT using the Isofix and using the seatbelt to attach instead.

Matt D.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
I was wondering if twins/multiples were in your equation. My kids have all been tall & have moved to boosters around the age of 4.

Hopefully you could still do 3 anchored seats in the 2nd row, and still have access to the 3rd row for older kids/boosters.
Lining up 3 in a row is a recipe for disaster. The way my minivan is currently configured is 2 car seats in the 3rd row and one in the 2nd. Having an open seat for an adult (grandparent) in the second row is invaluable.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lining up 3 in a row is a recipe for disaster. The way my minivan is currently configured is 2 car seats in the 3rd row and one in the 2nd. Having an open seat for an adult (grandparent) in the second row is invaluable.
LOL, it definitely can be and there are times I'd love to spread them out. However, all 3 of our vehicles only have 2 rows, so we roll 3 wide all the time & have since we had our third. All in boosters now though, which are so much easier/better than the seats you have to use when they're younger...

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why is this bad news if you have more than 2 kids in car seats? My car seat brand actually recommends NOT using the Isofix and using the seatbelt to attach instead.
It all depends on what stage your kids are at. While they are in a harness, as long as you do not exceed Isofix weight limits stated in the car and car seat manual (lowest of the 2), its probably more a question of preference: I am surprised your manual states a preference regardless of weight. When you do exceed one of the 2, then yes, it has to be seat belt.

I think what Matt D. meant is that it is bad news for parents intending to put kids in boosters in the third row: when you use the belt instead of a harness, the Isofix becomes a way to keep the booster secured when it is not occupied – they can become projectiles if you forget to belt an empty one. I also think it has to be better for my children not to have the kinetic energy of the seat pushing on them in a crash… but the issue is never mentioned in manuals.

As a dad with 4 kids: 6 and 7 year old in boosters, a 3 year old in harness and a 2.5 month old in a bucket, I agree with you and really wonder why such decisions are taken – why not just put the Isofix in the third row, I cant think it is a cost issue???

That being said, I don’t see it as a dealbreaker like the 2nd row tilt and slide. A harness seat doesn’t need Isofix. While Isofix is great for booster/convertibles with the belt as restraint, I think I will install 2 in the third row with the top tether and some nylon tubular webbing passed through the seat fold and tied to the top tether: the goal here is only to secure the empty seat.

I wonder: Will Rivian make up the no 3rd row Isofix by installing belt pre-tensioners and limiters in all rows? I cant believe pretty much no manufacturer does...
Sponsored