Sponsored

Lack of Android Auto / Waze is a reason to cancel

DocAdvocate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a Rivian
I have CarPlay in my car currently and I'm a big fan of it. That being said, it is not perfect. There are latency issues, connectivity issues, integration issues and I don't like that I have a dumbed-down version of Spotify. Ultimately I think we like CarPlay and Android Auto is because it is the best UI we've experienced in vehicles, THUS FAR. I think we'd all stop liking CP/AA if something better came along.

I don't know if Rivian will be successful In creating a better system but it sounds like they believe they can. My gut is that they released the car before they got to that point because they want people to drive the truck and use the system so they can figure out how to get it done. This will also explain why employees and people close to Rivian are getting the car first, final beta test of sorts.
Sponsored

Lyon

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Suburban, Sprinter, XC90
Occupation
Lawyer
Honest question for Tesla owners. How are you managing podcasts or audio books? Excluding the use of Spotify for podcasts. Stuck with Bluetooth streaming from your phone?
Bluetooth…. If it’s not on Spotify.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
While I prefer Google Maps to the Tesla navigation, I don't miss it that much. I'm hoping Rivian will be the same. As long as the Navigation works fine, I'll be happy. Even Ford's navigation for Mach E honestly doesn't look that bad anymore.

OP
OP
Darkon

Darkon

First Name
Christophe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37x
The official answer from Rivian to my original complaint.

Thank you for reaching out today and for being a preorder holder with Rivian. Right now, we do not have Carplay or Android Auto. We believe that to create a truly incredible digital experience, an integrated platform that is optimized for our vehicles is the better path.

Our community has expressed interest in these options, and we will keep you updated if anything changes in the future! I will be more than happy to note down your feedback.
Nothing new but at least keeping the door open. Emphasis is mine.

Thanks to this thread I realized CP/AA is not a perfect solution. But I remain worried of not having access to that ecosystem and be limited to what the manufacturer decide. The geek in me wants the option to decide.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
It’ll be interesting to compare the Rivian UI/UX with Polestar in the coming quarters and years. Polestar went all-in on Android Automotive as their system (think CarPlay was coming too) and I don’t recall seeing one review of the Polestar 2 where people weren’t incredibly impressed with it. Hoping Rivian will hit the ball out of the park, but to the previous post,at least there is hope they’d reconsider if things don’t pan out as contemplated.

Sponsored

Bruno

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2013 car, bought in 2015. Just when Android Auto and Apple CarPlay became good. For 6 years now I have waited to replace my car to finally be done with awkward phone mount, overheating phone from being constantly on, and non-integrated Waze direction for my travels.

I put an order for the R1T absolutely certain that no car company would ever return to pre-2010 mentality of assuming their system is so good, they do not need offer that compatibility. Needless to say that after watching countless reviews, I just heard yesterday that Android Auto will not be supported and I am devastated. If I pay $100k for a truck, I surely hope it supports a standard feature that all decent cars supported for the past 8 years. $30k cars have it so it is not a cost problem. It is an ego attitude. Even Toyota - a notorious holdout to Android Auto - agreed to add the feature in 2019.

I understand Rivian thinks its GPS system is amazing but that missed the point. I think the UI is gorgeous too, but that does not change that I want MY music app, not yours, I want Waze for my commute, I doubt your GPS has the Waze info (if it does, let me know), etc... Rivian needs to stop thinking they will be the one for all. Be compatible. The beauty of an EV truck is that it can be a commuter vehicle AND an adventure vehicle. And the speccs and reviews all confirmed it. So let us commuters have what we need, and commuters use Waze.

My only hope is that I read that an OTA update could add the feature in the future. So I won't cancel my order yet of course, but Rivian, I beg you, add the feature.
I total agree. I have had a 2015, 2018, and 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Starting in 2018 Jeep had Apple car play, (also Android). I use waze all the time. It may be a deal breaker. I'm hoping you can use waze through Alexa, I don't know. May be a deal breaker. I put a deposit down Jan 2020

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don’t recall seeing one review of the Polestar 2 where people weren’t incredibly impressed with it
I've checked the Volvo forums, and the system is getting LOTS of complaints in the XC40 Recharge and 2022 XC60 (which switched from Sensus to Android Automotive). Most people HATE it and the general consensus is that it's a massive step backwards from the previous system. Tons of functionality doesn't work or is missing, entirely.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
I've checked the Volvo forums, and the system is getting LOTS of complaints in the XC40 Recharge and 2022 XC60 (which switched from Sensus to Android Automotive). Most people HATE it and the general consensus is that it's a massive step backwards from the previous system. Tons of functionality doesn't work or is missing, entirely.
That’s news to me, but I haven’t been on Swedespeed in ages and was going off the YouTube reviews. Our 2020 XC90 with Sensus and CarPlay has been rock solid and a massive upgrade from 2018 with the same system but slower hardware.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I have to admit that I initially felt almost the same as the OP. I felt as if one more negative got added to the list that is now pushing closer to the reasons for canceling the order. However, The R1 is so good and so unique in so many ways, I am now coming to the conclusion that nearly nothing can deter me from purchasing one.

I really come to like CarPlay, it worked really well in all of my recent vehicles. So much capability and convenience, particularly in long drives, I seem to expected without question in my cars by default.

However, last night I went for a drive in the Subbie. It has good to great CP integration on the big 12" screen. I purposefully turned off CP, just listened to the radio. I have to say that it was a very positive experience not dealing with constant attention-grabbing notifications from CP. Calm and focused drive.

I think, at this time, I will welcome CP-less drives.

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
Losing Waze keeping me out of trouble and timely would really suck. It's not too bad on a Tesla since there is a location for your phone that is line of sight but the rivian doesn't really have that...

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

Interferon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100DL
It's decisions like this that give a clue as to how they are going to treat their customers in the future.
I'm sure they think they are gonna have the best navigation and music player software in the market. But they don't have the resources to replicate all the apps in the Android ecosystem.

I'm sure they think they are going to make a ton of money upselling software upgrades that Android Auto apps would directly compete with for free.

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
rivian.... why t-f would you not include these things? so that means we can we add apps to your system then? assuming you are using 4g, 5g whatever to communicate, how much will this cost us extra. it's no better than my 07 then, so i'll just move the phone holder over so i can use wayze, play my own music, listen to sirius, etc.. thanks, here's my 70k.....

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

rivian.... why t-f would you not include these things? so that means we can we add apps to your system then? assuming you are using 4g, 5g whatever to communicate, how much will this cost us extra. it's no better than my 07 then, so i'll just move the phone holder over so i can use wayze, play my own music, listen to sirius, etc.. thanks, here's my 70k.....
It's their own infotainment system. Those things aren't available in a Tesla either. Personally I'd rather not have to have an additional device to depend on working. Phones get damaged beyond repair all the time.

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Silverado EV has carplay as standard. That's the main reason I'll be getting it instead of the Rivian.