Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Again, you're just focusing on NAV. There is so much more than just NAV!
NAV is the most important part for me. Do you currently own an EV that you take on occasional road trips? ICE road trips are mindless because there are gas stations at every exit. Charging infrastructure is very far away from that being the case.

I can live with whatever audio options I'm given because I'm not stuck in a walled garden. I happen to use spotify pretty regularly but if pandora was the only option, I'd be fine with switching.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
NAV is the most important part for me. Do you currently own an EV that you take on occasional road trips?
I do not own an EV. But I don't see how that's relevant. I use my factory nav for roadtrips, but Apple Maps / CarPlay is easier and nicer for POI search -- such as restaurants and stores, locally. Even ignoring NAV, entirely, my main issue is audio.

I can live with whatever audio options I'm given because I'm not stuck in a walled garden. I happen to use spotify pretty regularly but if pandora was the only option, I'd be fine with switching.
It is not reasonable, imo, for a car to dictate what music service my entire family has to use. Even if I accept Spotify in a Rivian, that means I have to give up the integration with playlists when I work out, or ride my bike, or work in the garage.

Or are you saying I should give up Apple Music and move my entire music life over to Spotify?

Let's ignore for the moment that last time I tried Spotify I hated it. Let's say I try it again and it's "fine" or even I may like it... What about my family? Because I want a new car I have to tell 4 other people that we're moving to Spotify and they have to give up what they like?

It's not reasonable, imo.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

NAV is the most important part for me. Do you currently own an EV that you take on occasional road trips? ICE road trips are mindless because there are gas stations at every exit. Charging infrastructure is very far away from that being the case.
Granted integrated nav that includes many of the features of Waze AND includes SOC-based routing would be awesome. But to your point above, for most people these road trips where I need to worry about SOC are "occasional." Why let that be the primary use case?

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
So the argument is:

1. Features? We don't need no stinking features.
2. Pay more and get less!
3. If you disagree, f**k you.

Got it. Yeah, that seems perfectly reasonable /rolleyes.
Money really has nothing to do with it. I have CP on my vehicle and still pay $600/year for data because it provides stuff CP doesn't or does it in a better way (I use the native version of NAV and Amazon Music because they are better versions).

I also never made a claim regarding reasonableness. That is for each to decide for themselves. There are surely many that will deem it egregiously unreasonable, and they will drive something else and be happy, which is perfectly fine for them and doesn't affect my life one bit.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer

I don't understand your sentiment though about "walled gardens". You're knocking people for using what you're describing as "walled gardens" while telling people it's okay to use the new closed standard of the Rivian. The Rivian infotainment is the one being the "walled garden". If each manufacturer did this, what would we do? Rivian forces Spotify, then Chevy turns around and pushes Pandora, and Ford turns around and pushes some other streaming service. So if you were to own all 3 in this hypothetical scenario, you'd need to either A) Own nothing but one manufacturer (walled garden), or B) Pay for multiple streaming services.

Seems counterintuitive

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
It is not reasonable, imo, for a car to dictate what music service my entire family has to use. Even if I accept Spotify in a Rivian, that means I have to give up the integration with playlists when I work out, or ride my bike, or work in the garage.

Or are you saying I should give up Apple Music and move my entire music life over to Spotify?

Let's ignore for the moment that last time I tried Spotify I hated it. Let's say I try it again and it's "fine" or even I may like it... What about my family? Because I want a new car I have to tell 4 other people that we're moving to Spotify and they have to give up what they like?

It's not reasonable, imo.
A car company can dictate whatever they want, because it's their car/product. Audio, NAV, etc. are no different than the seats, the wheels, the engine, or any other feature or component of the vehicle. This is our product and we hope you like it, that's it.

Saying it's unreasonable is like saying it's unreasonable that they don't offer the option of real leather seats(or cloth), but force vegan leather upon us without option.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
A car company can dictate whatever they want, because it's their car/product. Audio, NAV, etc. are no different than the seats, the wheels, the engine, or any other feature or component of the vehicle. This is our product and we hope you like it, that's it.

Saying it's unreasonable is like saying it's unreasonable that they don't offer the option of real leather seats(or cloth), but force vegan leather upon us without option.
I'm confused, so now are we saying walled gardens are totally cool and they can dictate what they want? Or that walled gardens are bad and we should have open standards and options?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Granted integrated nav that includes many of the features of Waze AND includes SOC-based routing would be awesome. But to your point above, for most people these road trips where I need to worry about SOC are "occasional." Why let that be the primary use case?
Because right now needing to charge away from home is the biggest headache of EV ownership. It's likely going to be the case for the entire time I own my R1T.

With it being much less stressful in my Polestar, I've been taking more trips than I had been in the Bolt.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I'm confused, so now are we saying walled gardens are totally cool and they can dictate what they want? Or that walled gardens are bad and we should have open standards and options?
No, the term walled gardens in this context meant the resistance to change, not a "closed ecosystem".

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Because right now needing to charge away from home is the biggest headache of EV ownership. It's likely going to be the case for the entire time I own my R1T.

With it being much less stressful in my Polestar, I've been taking more trips than I had been in the Bolt.
No disagreement that with a patchwork charging infra it's a pain. No doubt about it. But honestly... I rarely charge away from home today. Like 95% of my drives, maybe more, are handled just fine as long as I'm charged before I leave home. So in those <5% of the cases, that integrated interface would be awesome, I just don't see it as priority because it's so seldom a concern.

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
No, the term walled gardens in this context meant the resistance to change, not a "closed ecosystem".
But I'm not being resistant to change. What I'm saying is that I pay for a streaming service already for an entire family of 5. Because of the lack of CarPlay, you're saying that I need to abandon my family plan from one large streaming company to another, with no reason other than "sorry not compatible". Whereas with AA/CP it's not an issue since there's an open app store that I can install whatever I want that is compatible with AA/CP.

There doesn't seem to be any alternative. That's not "resistance to change" that's being upset because i'm being forced onto Spotify if I want to have touch screen access to music and playlists

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Walled gardens are really only a problem when you suffer from the sunk cost. Rivian might dictate what things are allowed on their infotainment system, but there's really very little risk of me getting falling into a sunk cost fallacy of not wanting to get out. It's one of the reasons I switched to Android. Apple doesn't like playing nice with other companies unless they are getting a slice of the pie.

Rivian R1T R1S Lack of Android Auto / Waze is a reason to cancel 1642523421382

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Walled gardens are really only a problem when you suffer from the sunk cost. Rivian might dictate what things are allowed on their infotainment system, but there's really very little risk of me getting falling into a sunk cost fallacy of not wanting to get out. It's one of the reasons I switched to Android. Apple doesn't like playing nice with other companies unless they are getting a slice of the pie.

1642523421382.png
But how is allowing CP/AA a competing standard? Literally all other car companies (with the exception of wonderful Tesla) are allowing CP/AA. It's Rivian and Telsa that are the ones trying to make yet another standard.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
But I'm not being resistant to change. What I'm saying is that I pay for a streaming service already for an entire family of 5. Because of the lack of CarPlay, you're saying that I need to abandon my family plan from one large streaming company to another, with no reason other than "sorry not compatible". Whereas with AA/CP it's not an issue since there's an open app store that I can install whatever I want that is compatible with AA/CP.

There doesn't seem to be any alternative. That's not "resistance to change" that's being upset because i'm being forced onto Spotify if I want to have touch screen access to music and playlists
You're not being forced, because you haven't bought the vehicle yet. It would be somewhat different if they offered CP/AA and didn't have a membership/data that they charged for, then one day said we no longer support CP/AA, but good news for $550/year you can get data in your vehicle.

But that's not the case, everything is on the table before decision time. So, everyone can decide what matters to them and what they want, and make a decision. The need to complain that your desires aren't being met in an online forum is silly and unproductive, that's my point.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

But how is allowing CP/AA a competing standard? Literally all other car companies (with the exception of wonderful Tesla) are allowing CP/AA. It's Rivian and Telsa that are the ones trying to make yet another standard.
It's engineering time they don't want to invest. I totally get why they are doing it the way they are. It's not just a simple software flag they can flip on to enable it.

Ultimately I'm hesitant to form an opinion on their system now because I haven't interacted with it at all and I have no idea what their feature roadmap is. I did feel like getting the Polestar was a risk because it didn't have AA, but even the extremely limited things it offers right now is better than what I use AA for while I'm actively driving.

If your choice of music app is so important to you that you wouldn't want to own a specific vehicle, your priorities are irreconcilably at odds with how I feel about it. I suppose that's all there is to it, no sense in fighting over it.
Sponsored