ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

After reading this thread, I have come to the conclusion that I really must not be using CarPlay properly (in my Wrangler). I use Apple Music and Waze, and listen to I podcasts, but I don't understand how it not being offered is a deal breaker for some, especially if they have zero experience on the Rivian UI. I find Waze to be buggy when starting a route, I frequently need to put in my destination several times, but once it starts, it's generally pretty good. Does Waze even support EV charging routing (as of today)? I wouldn't want to toggle between two map screens on a trip, while driving, one that shows traffic, and another that shows where/when to stop for charging, that sounds like missed turns, an extended trip, and a big headache. I do understand people not wanting to be shoehorned into Spotify, or whatever the music app is the flavor of the week for Rivian. I would prefer for a wired USB connection for my phone, but its not a dealbreaker for me.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
To push back a bit here, I've used AA for several years, as I'm sure you have. AA has had more random bugs and shit crop up that Google has let languish for a significant period of time than I can remember. The wake word is inconsistent in all three of the cars I have had it on, music and apps will randomly stop working for no obvious reason, and there are currently at least a couple of apps that refused to work over the car audio (I'm looking at you Teams). At one point AA was so inconsistent in one of my cars that Audible books just weren't working reliably and I had to default back to bluetooth.

Which isn't saying I don't want AA on the truck, I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do with some of the audio apps I use, but it's definitely not bug proof.
I hear ya regarding Google jank but generally anytime I've ever had a problem it's always been resolved (for me) by rebooting the phone. Eventually I started having connectivity issues, and it turned out to be my phone's well-worn USB port, fixed with a replacement. Can't speak to using a wake word, as my vehicle has a steering wheel button for voice input that's been reliable. We test drove 18 different luxury vehicles before buying our Model Y, and I still think AA/ACP with a voice input button and rotary controller is the best overall solution for safety and versatility, as found in Alfa, BMW, and Mazda. Big inputs with voice. Small ones by feel using the knob. Touchscreen if you're parked (but I can easily get by without it).

The issue I have with Tesla is that we have no power to fix the problems. We re-added the phones and granted all permissions, and no dice. Literally just stuck hoping they accidentally fix what they accidentally broke with another update.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
After reading this thread, I have come to the conclusion that I really must not be using CarPlay properly (in my Wrangler). I use Apple Music and Waze, and listen to I podcasts, but I don't understand how it not being offered is a deal breaker for some, especially if they have zero experience on the Rivian UI. I find Waze to be buggy when starting a route, I frequently need to put in my destination several times, but once it starts, it's generally pretty good. Does Waze even support EV charging routing (as of today)? I wouldn't want to toggle between two map screens on a trip, while driving, one that shows traffic, and another that shows where/when to stop for charging, that sounds like missed turns, an extended trip, and a big headache. I do understand people not wanting to be shoehorned into Spotify, or whatever the music app is the flavor of the week for Rivian. I would prefer for a wired USB connection for my phone, but its not a dealbreaker for me.
you‘re focusing on just maps. Although on that topic I’ll say Rivian is missing a critical feature: send to car. They really need to add the ability to send an address from the rivian app to the vehicle.

but where CarPlay really shines is the apps, imo. I’m mostly fine with my cars nav
. But the music apps make the experience so much better on CP. rivian is giving us a MINIMUM viable product — Spotify, and f**k everyone else, according to rivian.

I don’t use Spotify. I don’t want to use Spotify. my family doesn’t want to use Spotify. CP let’s me use the music service I like and have excellent sound quality and a great UI. Without CP, all Rivian will offer me is observably worse sound quality (bluetooth only — not even usb) and zero UI. Want to change playlists? F**k you. Want to create a station? F**k you. Want to “like” or “dislike” a song so the automated song selection gets better? F**k you.

I haven’t used tune-in, so maybe that will let me listen to the nhl games I want? I’ll reserve judgement on that. But with CP I can easily listen to the team-specific feed for my team — all with a couple taps on the cars screen. can rivian do this? Will it be every game if it can? Will it be the audio stream from my team? Or just a generic one? I don’t know. But my point is there are many specific apps and rivian won’t provide them all.

im all for “trying the rivian way”. That’s fine. But it is obtuse to tell people that throwing away 10-20 years of progress is somehow in their best interest. and “not offering” functionality cannot ever be “better”.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
im all for “trying the rivian way”. That’s fine. But it is obtuse to tell people that throwing away 10-20 years of progress is somehow in their best interest. and “not offering” functionality cannot ever be “better”.
Spot-on.

Don’t piss on my boots and tell me it’s raining.

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah not having CarPlay is a big deal for me. It's not going to cause me to cancel my preorder, but it is a massive feature that's missing.

I have everything on my iPhone. I don't need HomeLink with the R1T as I have a homekit enabled garage door that CP automatically shows on the screen in CarPlay when I get close to my house. My phone also already knows what music I like, don't like, my playlists, etc. I don't want to have to teach yet another device and keep items in sync (I pay for Apple Music, not paying for Spotify too). Maps is huge too for POI's, but those don't change as often for me as music does so it isn't as big of an issue.

I get that they believe they can make a better UI and experience than Apple can with CarPlay, and I'm sure they can. But if that's their push back, then just limit AA/CP to being a small corner of the screen or something so that it isn't trying to take over the entire Rivian UI.

Deal breaker? Not for me. But certainly isn't ideal...

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I have to say compared to the Land Rover UI CarPlay is downright primitive. On New Years Eve the native map did a great job ‘Waze’-ing me around a traffic jam

Keep threatening and complaining but I’m taking the under on seeing CarPlay/AA. More manufacturers seem to have decided they have a captive audience and see 40-60 reasons a month to keep it that way $$

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Lots of these responses seem to fall into the camp of "I'm stuck in my walled garden and I don't want the inconvenience of leaving!" Your refusal is just making the walls taller.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Lots of these responses seem to fall into the camp of "I'm stuck in my walled garden and I don't want the inconvenience of leaving!" Your refusal is just making the walls taller.
For me it isn't a lack of willing to change, it's that it shouldn't be forced. Rivian thinks they can make a better ui and experience than CarPlay and the convenience of having that automatically synced to my phone since it is my phone, then i'm totally cool with it. But don't force people to use it and call it a feature. That's been one of Tesla's biggest complaints that I've seen on different forums and Tesla refuses to do anything about it. It's a convenience thing for me, why should I have to teach yet another device and set it up when I shouldn't have to. Give me a small UI into my phone from the vehicle to allow me to use Homekit, play my music, see my calendar, etc.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Do you honestly believe that? If so, that's ironic. I'm willing to try Rivian's option but they're not giving me an option -- unless you consider "you just can't do that anymore" to be a valid option?

I'd love to try Rivian's UI for listening to Apple Music Lossless. But they don't have one.

I'd love to be able to send an address to the Rivian navigation when I plan a trip or pick a restaurant and we're all using our phones around the table. But they don't have that feature.

It sounds like giving in to Rivian is actually "making the walls taller", not the other way around.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Do you honestly believe that? If so, that's ironic. I'm willing to try Rivian's option but they're not giving me an option -- unless you consider "you just can't do that anymore" to be a valid option?

I'd love to try Rivian's UI for listening to Apple Music Lossless. But they don't have one.

I'd love to be able to send an address to the Rivian navigation when I plan a trip or pick a restaurant and we're all using our phones around the table. But they don't have that feature.

It sounds like giving in to Rivian is actually "making the walls taller", not the other way around.
Yes I do. My current car doesn't support carplay or android auto. The integrated navigation is better than anything I've used on AA (though admittedly I haven't owned an iPhone since the 4S, so maybe carplay has features I'm not aware of). Being integrated into the car and knowing the battery SoC and being able to estimate range based on expected consumption on a planned route is a huge boon that is missing from all the phone apps on Android. ABRP can sort of do it with ODB-II and uploading the data to their server, but it's a convoluted solution and doesn't work as well as the integrated map on my Polestar does. If it thinks you can't make it to your destination, it automatically asks you about adding a charging stop.

I'm going to have no problems moving to Rivian's infotainment system if it can do that sort of routing stuff just as well. It will be a different experience, but I'm totally okay with that. I used to use waze all the time but it's usefulness vs the competition has waned significantly when google has included traffic and route searching to find faster routes as you're driving. I don't need to know where the cops are hiding out since I'm not generally driving 15+ mph over the speed limit regularly. I basically quit using waze one day when the entire area of my commute was under dense fog and someone reported it being foggy every mile. Useless notifications.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

I think you're kind of proving their point though. "I'm willing to venture outside of the walled garden, as long as I never actually leave the walled garden." You have to be willing to accept that outside the walls, you may never see some of the features you had inside of it ever again. Or you might.

The bottom line is that the potential of ending up with an infotainment that falls short of CP is the price you have to pay to get the rest of what the vehicle offers.

Last edited:

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yes I do. My current car doesn't support carplay or android auto. The integrated navigation is better than anything I've used on AA (though admittedly I haven't owned an iPhone since the 4S, so maybe carplay has features I'm not aware of). Being integrated into the car and knowing the battery SoC and being able to estimate range based on expected consumption on a planned route is a huge boon that is missing from all the phone apps on Android. ABRP can sort of do it with ODB-II and uploading the data to their server, but it's a convoluted solution and doesn't work as well as the integrated map on my Polestar does. If it thinks you can't make it to your destination, it automatically asks you about adding a charging stop.

I'm going to have no problems moving to Rivian's infotainment system if it can do that sort of routing stuff just as well. It will be a different experience, but I'm totally okay with that. I used to use waze all the time but it's usefulness vs the competition has waned significantly when google has included traffic and route searching to find faster routes as you're driving. I don't need to know where the cops are hiding out since I'm not generally driving 15+ mph over the speed limit regularly. I basically quit using waze one day when the entire area of my commute was under dense fog and someone reported it being foggy every mile. Useless notifications.
I agree, but you're acting like this is a mutually exclusive thing. You should be able to use both, just because it has CP/AA doesn't mean you have to use it for everything if you choose to do so.

My phone doesn't know how much gas I have in my Grand Cherokee in CarPlay mode, but it doesn't matter as you can clearly see how much you have. Just because it isn't going to 100% perfect and integrated isn't a reason to abandon all hope and remove the feature entirely. I always have my phone on me and should be able to get into the vehicle and it be seamless. When I'm parked somewhere and am looking for something on the phone, I don't want to find where i'm looking for on my phone, then have to try to type the address in on the infotainment. Worthless steps that are unnecessary.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Again, you're just focusing on NAV. There is so much more than just NAV!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think you're kind of proving their point though. "I'm willing to venture outside of the walled garden, as long as I never actually leave the walled garden." You have to be willing to accept that outside the walls, you may never see some of the features you had inside of it ever again. Or you might.

The bottom line is that the potential of ending up with an infotainment that falls short of CP is the price you have to pay to get the rest of the vehicle offers.
So the argument is:

1. Features? We don't need no stinking features.
2. Pay more and get less!
3. If you disagree, f**k you.

Got it. Yeah, that seems perfectly reasonable /rolleyes.
Sponsored