Lack of Android Auto / Waze is a reason to cancel

Darkon

First Name
Christophe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37x
I have a 2013 car, bought in 2015. Just when Android Auto and Apple CarPlay became good. For 6 years now I have waited to replace my car to finally be done with awkward phone mount, overheating phone from being constantly on, and non-integrated Waze direction for my travels.

I put an order for the R1T absolutely certain that no car company would ever return to pre-2010 mentality of assuming their system is so good, they do not need offer that compatibility. Needless to say that after watching countless reviews, I just heard yesterday that Android Auto will not be supported and I am devastated. If I pay $100k for a truck, I surely hope it supports a standard feature that all decent cars supported for the past 8 years. $30k cars have it so it is not a cost problem. It is an ego attitude. Even Toyota - a notorious holdout to Android Auto - agreed to add the feature in 2019.

I understand Rivian thinks its GPS system is amazing but that missed the point. I think the UI is gorgeous too, but that does not change that I want MY music app, not yours, I want Waze for my commute, I doubt your GPS has the Waze info (if it does, let me know), etc... Rivian needs to stop thinking they will be the one for all. Be compatible. The beauty of an EV truck is that it can be a commuter vehicle AND an adventure vehicle. And the speccs and reviews all confirmed it. So let us commuters have what we need, and commuters use Waze.

My only hope is that I read that an OTA update could add the feature in the future. So I won't cancel my order yet of course, but Rivian, I beg you, add the feature.
Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Yep, but so far it appears this is a battle we will not win. It’s a borderline dealbreaker for me.

Reactions: Rad

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I have a 2013 car, bought in 2015. Just when Android Auto and Apple CarPlay became good. For 6 years now I have waited to replace my car to finally be done with awkward phone mount, overheating phone from being constantly on, and non-integrated Waze direction for my travels.

I put an order for the R1T absolutely certain that no car company would ever return to pre-2010 mentality of assuming their system is so good, they do not need offer that compatibility. Needless to say that after watching countless reviews, I just heard yesterday that Android Auto will not be supported and I am devastated. If I pay $100k for a truck, I surely hope it supports a standard feature that all decent cars supported for the past 8 years. $30k cars have it so it is not a cost problem. It is an ego attitude. Even Toyota - a notorious holdout to Android Auto - agreed to add the feature in 2019.

I understand Rivian thinks its GPS system is amazing but that missed the point. I think the UI is gorgeous too, but that does not change that I want MY music app, not yours, I want Waze for my commute, I doubt your GPS has the Waze info (if it does, let me know), etc... Rivian needs to stop thinking they will be the one for all. Be compatible. The beauty of an EV truck is that it can be a commuter vehicle AND an adventure vehicle. And the speccs and reviews all confirmed it. So let us commuters have what we need, and commuters use Waze.

My only hope is that I read that an OTA update could add the feature in the future. So I won't cancel my order yet of course, but Rivian, I beg you, add the feature.
I am an Android user (I've had 3 straight Pixel phones) and use AA in my current car, but I didn't bat an eye at the news that it wouldn't be available. For me, AA is a necessity in my current car because the car UI is terrible and that is the case for most cars because legacy OEMs are terrible at software. For Tesla and Rivian, this is not an issue. Given the choice between running AA or using a very good OEM UI, I would choose the OEM UI every time and not have to plug in my phone every time I get in the car.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I am an Android user (I've had 3 straight Pixel phones) and use AA in my current car, but I didn't bat an eye at the news that it wouldn't be available. For me, AA is a necessity in my current car because the car UI is terrible and that is the case for most cars because legacy OEMs are terrible at software. For Tesla and Rivian, this is not an issue. Given the choice between running AA or using a very good OEM UI, I would choose the OEM UI every time and not have to plug in my phone every time I get in the car.
Just FYI, Android Auto is now wireless.

I’d be fine if there was a decent library of native apps available (Waze, etc), but thats not the case…at least for now.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Don’t know about AA, but newest integrations of CarPlay are wireless - connects automatically when you start the car. I would really, really like to have that in the R1T, but to me it’s not a deal breaker as the overall truck has so many positives.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Darkon

Darkon

First Name
Christophe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37x
Given the choice between running AA or using a very good OEM UI, I would choose the OEM UI every time and not have to plug in my phone every time I get in the car.
But why forcing us to choose one of the two. I want a great OEM UI and AA. The screen is big enough, I would love a split mode. Will Rivian have a voice recognition to match Google? if not, this will be a step backwards tech-wise.

And an ideal car now has a wireless charger pad and wireless AA so you sit in your car, drop your phone in the holder and that's it.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Jury still out for me. AA and CarPlay were a million times better than my stock Audi (2017) system but they have their quirks too.

Rivian needs to do something unique in their cars (off road travel data) and you can’t get that from Apple or Google so probably drove the decision to build their own thing.

Will it be good? Will it have real-time traffic info? (Will it have annoying ads for gas stations???) inquiring minds want to know.

Music integration doesn’t worry me. I use Spotify and Tunein. Pretty much covers the bases. The CarPlay version of Spotify also isn’t great. Can’t even search for a song through the UI… :(

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I agree that lack of the CarPlay is a huge miss and sounds intentional. Almost every review I watched/read yesterday pointed to it lacking this feature so obviously the buying public does care. Not sure it is a deal breaker for me but if the awesome audio system sounds like garbage with Apple Carplay it may be. Only can hope they wake up to the fact that buyers actually want this and add it in a software update.

Reactions: Rad

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I love waze, but I won't draw any conclusions until I test their maps. I have youtube premium, but if Spotify is included in the membership then that won't be a problem for me either.

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I think the chance they ever add CarPlay or AA is close to zero. If you’re basing your purchase of a $100k electric truck on the hope for some future navigation/music apps, you may want to reconsider.

roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
Also it’s not in the trucks right now… but has the probability of being added in an it’s sooner than later

OP
OP
Darkon

Darkon

First Name
Christophe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37x
Music integration doesn’t worry me. I use Spotify and Tunein. Pretty much covers the bases. The CarPlay version of Spotify also isn’t great. Can’t even search for a song through the UI… :(
I use DoubleTwist so I am screwed. But my main worry is that we users will be caught between an Amazon and Google fight by proxies once again. Assuming the close connection to Amazon is part of the reason.

If you’re basing your purchase of a $100k electric truck on the hope for some future navigation/music apps, you may want to reconsider.
I am - hence the title.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
CarPlay seems like an "easy" way to satisfy most people... So I don't know why they won't do it.

As it is, I'm willing to give them a shot, but they're going to need to build more app integrations than just Spotify. We use Apple Music, and I want to keep using Apple Music. Give me tight integration with that and I'll probably be happy. Well, that and I want good Messages integration, as well. Volvo does a decent integration with Messages, so I know it's possible.
Sponsored