LA to Austin Road Trip Begins Tomorrow

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Well, the truck is loaded and I’m heading out in the morning. Los Angeles to Austin. ABRP and PlugShare hopefully keep me from going nuts. And I hope the load doesn’t kill my range. But anyway, here we go.

Rivian R1T R1S LA to Austin Road Trip Begins Tomorrow 78292538-4C01-46BF-8BF0-8F3E72D82DEE

Rivian R1T R1S LA to Austin Road Trip Begins Tomorrow F2D7E678-8869-472E-9E8E-BF9AF87A428F
Sponsored

SJaYx2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Hell Yeah! For MotoGP? Have fun! Them Desmos are dominating.

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
Gorgeous set of machines there! You headed to a track day or just a trip for fun?
ps I’m glad to see a sportbike easily fits in the bed with room to spare…

OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gorgeous set of machines there! You headed to a track day or just a trip for fun?
ps I’m glad to see a sportbike easily fits in the bed with room to spare…
MotoGP, I wish I could go to the track day after, but I don’t have access as it’s Aprilia based.

I was just going to take the Panigale, but then I found out last minute I have a friend flying in from Scotland and we have a bunch of other friends from Europe going to be there. So I figured I’d give it a try with no the bikes. Yeah, they fit no problem. The Multi is a big bike but there’s still plenty of room.

Sponsored

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

If you happen to roll through DFW (specifically Denton), feel free to drop a line. I'd love to see your hauling setup.

~ Sincerely, a motorcycle owner in Denton, TX.

OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First day done with 700 miles under my belt, just over half way. It’s a long day to only cover 700 miles, but it wasn’t entirely the charging networks fault. I only hit 1 EA charger that was a dud and only put out 60kw. That slowed me down a bit, but all the others were somewhere between 130-210 output.

Otherwise I just hit traffic and, of course, had to stop a bunch of times using ABRP as my guide. It’ll be nice when there’s chargers at every exit so that it’s easier to go further between charges.

The truck itself is doing great. I spent a lot of time over 80 mph and I’m currently getting about 1.8 mi/kw. Mostly using Conserve mode, some All Purpose getting on the freeway or around town.

Rivian R1T R1S LA to Austin Road Trip Begins Tomorrow 308AE4D7-2EE2-4350-BCBE-C0605168D23E

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Looking forward to reading about your further adventures. I almost regret not making the time to get down to Handbuilt this year. I went consistently from 2016-2019, and unfortunately have not been able to make it back since they started back up.

OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking forward to reading about your further adventures. I almost regret not making the time to get down to Handbuilt this year. I went consistently from 2016-2019, and unfortunately have not been able to make it back since they started back up.
Yeah, I'll likely go to the show once of these evenings. I've got a bunch of people I'm meeting up with here so it's hard to say where the weekend will go!

I can say that the Rivian, particularly with the 2 bikes in the back, is a major hit here in Austin. I don't think I'd get more attention or comments if my hair was on fire!

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Yeah, I'll likely go to the show once of these evenings. I've got a bunch of people I'm meeting up with here so it's hard to say where the weekend will go!

I can say that the Rivian, particularly with the 2 bikes in the back, is a major hit here in Austin. I don't think I'd get more attention or comments if my hair was on fire!
I've got an ankle injury that I'm nursing at present, so had I gone, I too would have been in the R1T. Would have been cool to meet up and just park them together for double the attention.

As a (former) motorcycle show producer, I specifically went down for Handbuilt - to make contacts, meet builders, find new bikes, etc. - and I hardly ever made it over to MotoGP.

Sponsored

OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've got an ankle injury that I'm nursing at present, so had I gone, I too would have been in the R1T. Would have been cool to meet up and just park them together for double the attention.

As a (former) motorcycle show producer, I specifically went down for Handbuilt - to make contacts, meet builders, find new bikes, etc. - and I hardly ever made it over to MotoGP.
I hope you heal up so you can make the next one!

OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As another update, EA and all other charging companies, have a long way to go. Here's a Days Inn that's a total rathole that has no food or amenities around. Most of the chargers worked, except one being worked on, but were limited to ~150 output. For the entire trip if I had 150 output for more than 10 minutes cumulative I'd be surprised.

I don't know who planned the locations, but I think we can do better. I'm glad they worked though, that's for sure.

Rivian R1T R1S LA to Austin Road Trip Begins Tomorrow IMG_0570

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

When we went out to Colorado Springs this past Spring Break, we stopped at an EA in Amarillo that was at a Sam's Club. There was nothing else nearby, and if you don't have a Sam's Club card, you might as well have just stopped to charge at an abandoned building.

I am looking forward to the changes in the charging network over the next few years when more and more of them are put in at more convenient locations (I know that both Circle K and Pilot are in the process of developing and rolling out charging networks at their respective travel centers).

OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just checked my numbers. I arrived in Austin with the following:

1408 miles
1.75 m/kWh average
807.6 kW total used
64 mph average speed
22 hours, 11 minutes drive time
$143 total charge costs - left LA at 100% and arrived in Austin at ~30%. Thank you TX for cheap, and one time free, charging. I averaged 12 cents per kW rather than the 36 cents in California, not including the one free EA session. Staggering, the cost difference.

I’m not 100% sure of the charge time, but every bit of 5 hours total. ABRP was very useful and it’s conservative nature minimized range anxiety.

Additional notes…I had a very strong headwind for a good 300-400 miles in TX. I’m hoping it’s a tailwind on the way back and I see a nice efficiency gain.

Also, I drove like it was ICE. I did not compensate by slowing down. You can see by my average mph. 64mph means I was hauling butt when I could.

Twice as many chargers would mean I could go 150+ miles between stops and still not have to deal with throttling above 70% SOC and therefore reduce overall charging time. That would get us much closer to ICE road trips, or at least on par to Tesla road trips.

Last edited:

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

1408 miles
1.75 m/kWh average
807.6 kW total used
64 mph average speed
22 hours, 11 minutes drive time
These stats are very on par with our trip to Colorado and back. I would say your motorcycles are having very little negative impact on your efficiency (either that, or I drive like I'm hauling a much larger load).

Rivian R1T R1S LA to Austin Road Trip Begins Tomorrow IMG_7076.JPG
Sponsored