Kyle from Out of Spec Drives The Lightning

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Just stating my opinion short and sweet, for what I need in a truck, for $80k I'd take a Lightening over an R1T right now if they're side-by-side and I got my pick there on the spot.

Glad I'm a July-Sept delivery window for Rivian as I'm getting to see these other EV's. Sure wish RAM was further along than what they are as that's what I have today and had before my current 1500 and I LOVE the RAM boxes on the side, use the heck out them. Two things right out of the gate, the overhead shade that can be closed and the truck is a full-size, not something like a Honda Ridgeline size.

The likelihood of me having a Rivian in my garage is steadily falling.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Just stating my opinion short and sweet, for what I need in a truck, for $80k I'd take a Lightening over an R1T right now if they're side-by-side and I got my pick there on the spot.

Glad I'm a July-Sept delivery window for Rivian as I'm getting to see these other EV's. Sure wish RAM was further along than what they are as that's what I have today and had before my current 1500 and I LOVE the RAM boxes on the side, use the heck out them. Two things right out of the gate, the overhead shade that can be closed and the truck is a full-size, not something like a Honda Ridgeline size.

Fair enough. Sounds like the Rivian was never what you wanted, merely what was "available" (or thought would be). While there is most certainly some overlap, these 2 trucks really serve 2 very different missions.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I think the Lightning is a bit better truck than the Ri1T unless the aesthetic differences sway you to the Rivian. But I think the R1S is better than either.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Is that video really 1 hour 16 minutes? Please tell me I’m mistaken.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
I've started watching at 1.5 or even 2x just to save time. The content is worth the watch, however you have to do it.

Sponsored

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
..... but overall it's a pretty conservative entry into the market and I think that's good for a lot of folks - it's just not what I want.
This is exactly why it's a great entry for Ford. There is a ton of 'known quantities' for ICE F150 owners (and even non-Ford owners) stepping into a Lightning. The further the departure for John Q. Truckowner, the slower the uptake for EV trucks.

It's not for me either, but I've never wanted a full-size truck - that said, there are some things I like better about the Lightning than the R1T.

Last edited:

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Out of Spec stuff is always worth it. I love Kyle and he gives you a better and more complete sense of vehicles than anyone else does. For shorter stuff on unobtainable cars i go to channels like Carfection.
I like Kyle too and I think his reviews are pretty refreshing and interesting.

Kyle makes it clear that the Lightning is not a direct Rivian competitor. Instead, it is a more than competent EV truck version of the best-selling truck. Period. This will sell like hotcakes. When some Lightning owner blows past a Dodge Ram at the town's one traffic light ... wow ... that's going to play well in middle America.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

This is exactly why it's a great entry for Ford. There is a ton of 'known quantities' for ICE F150 owners (and even non-Ford owners) stepping into a Lightning. The further the departure for John Q. Truckowner, the slower the uptake for EV trucks.

It's not for me either, but I've never wanted a full-size truck - that said, there are some things I like better about the Lightning than the R1T.
100% agree.

And there are definitely things I thing the F150 does better:

I like the v2h power, I think the infotainment looks better (including Sirius XM), games, etc. I also noticed in the UI a setting for locking differentials (I don't know enough about off roading let alone off roading in an EV to think I really need this, but I know others have brought it up). Also way more electrical outlets it appears. The "add a trailer" feature and bed scale are clever, but not really something I care about with my use cases.

They will sell a ton, and this is a good thing.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I didn't watch Kyle, but did watch Doug Demuro - and it confirms everything I thought about the truck and why I don't want one. It isn't exciting on any level to me. I will say I think the infotainment is better than the R1T, but overall it's a pretty conservative entry into the market and I think that's good for a lot of folks - it's just not what I want.

I do think Doug's review was a little disingenuous on pricing. He accurately reported the price range but he also didn't say what you got for the price. You can't compare the $40k F150 to the Rivian - and maybe that's not what he was trying to do, but it's what I heard.

I read an article today that said that folks don't cross shop the F150 and R1T - they cross shop the R1T and the Mach-E which I thought was kinda wild, but then I realized it was true for me. I looked at the Mach-E seriously as well as the EV6. I had my finger on the button to preorder a F150 and realized I would never want to drive one.
I have always had a bit of bias against Ford and not a fan of exterior design but I like the space in back seat and 9+ KW AC power. I do like the size of Rivian better but am starting to question it now that what I would do If I get the invitation and both Pro and Tax credit are available.

What caught my attention in Doug Demuro review was that he said it was more comfortable than Rivian. I got the same impression from Kyle. I know most owners here have not tried Lightning but I am curious what those that have taken delivery think of the R1T ride in Standard Soft mode? And what those that have taken longer drives with it felt like at the end of the trip.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I believe it is, but I'm not aware of it actually being implemented. It requires working with each network to enable it.
there's no official word on this. RJ mentioned it in a video during the first drive event last year but we don't know if the current versions of the R1 can support this.

Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I think the Lightning is a bit better truck than the Ri1T unless the aesthetic differences sway you to the Rivian. But I think the R1S is better than either.
The Lightning is a better work truck. The R1T is a better adventure vehicle.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

The Lightning is a better work truck. The R1T is a better adventure vehicle.
If I built a spectrum from work truck to adventure vehicle with the middle being daily driving / grocery getter, I'd put forth that the Rivian is a better vehicle across about 2/3rds of that spectrum if you didn't take price into consideration.

If you did then I'd say the F150 is probably better across 65% of that spectrum at $50k.

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
If I built a spectrum from work truck to adventure vehicle with the middle being daily driving / grocery getter, I'd put forth that the Rivian is a better vehicle across about 2/3rds of that spectrum if you didn't take price into consideration.

If you did then I'd say the F150 is probably better across 65% of that spectrum at $50k.
The question is can you really get an F-150 Lightning that you would want to drive for $50K. The XLT with the large battery pack and towing package is closer to $60K and the Lariat is $80K and no tax credit. Having said that if you weren’t lucky enough to Preorder like I did you would be looking at $93K for the R1T instead of the $75K I paid. For what I needed the R1T was the way to go but as others have said they are really not competitors. If I needed a work truck the Lightning would be the way to go.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

The question is can you really get an F-150 Lightning that you would want to drive for $50K. The XLT with the large battery pack and towing package is closer to $60K and the Lariat is $80K and no tax credit. Having said that if you weren’t lucky enough to Preorder like I did you would be looking at $93K for the R1T instead of the $75K I paid. For what I needed the R1T was the way to go but as others have said they are really not competitors. If I needed a work truck the Lightning would be the way to go.
93K if you went quad motor but then you're in a different vehicle than the F150 (if I recall correctly). Dual motor R1T Adventure is $79k at the new pricing.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

I feel the same way. My Lightning gets built next week, should have it by July hopefully. Rivian I don't expect this year anymore. The bigger back seat, better navigation and blue cruise make the Lightning a better buy for me.

That being said though, R1T will catch up technology wise probably by next year. R1T will also charge faster and eventually have its own charging network.

At the end of the day its really comparing a full sized truck to a larger mid sized truck. R1T will be much easier to drive, park, and charge (once RAN is up and running)
Sponsored

Last edited: