First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
For those of you who might have a Kuat NV2 bike rack you want to use with your truck. It fits, but with a bike mounted inboard the pedal is dangerously close to the tailgate. Also, when dropped down the tailgate hits the rack, even without a bike.
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0096

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0097

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0098

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0099

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0100

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0101

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0102

With the bike in the outboard spot there's of course more room, but still won't be opening the tailgate safely.

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0103

Adding a hitch extension doesn't solve the tailgate problem, it still hits.
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0104

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0105

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T 2022-05-19 Rivian Kuat _DSC0106
Sponsored

tomaskuehn9

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60 Cross-Country; Porsche Carrera 4
I have that rack (but not my truck Yet). This is interesting. what is it about the truck’s dimensions that put the rack so close to the tailgate? Is the receiver significantly more recessed from the number than on other vehicles? The end of the receiver on my Volvo wagon is basically flush with the bumper, and there is plenty of room.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I have that rack (but not my truck Yet). This is interesting. what is it about the truck’s dimensions that put the rack so close to the tailgate? Is the receiver significantly more recessed from the number than on other vehicles? The end of the receiver on my Volvo wagon is basically flush with the bumper, and there is plenty of room.
It's significantly recessed (behind the aero cover which is pretty aggressively sloped). I much prefer that to the alternative - you can always add extenders, but you can't move a factory hitch inboard (realistically).

A short receiver drop hitch like this would probably solve the tailgate clearance issue (with bikes off), at the expense of clearance/departure angle:
For my part I'm increasingly leaning towards just some 1up racks over the bed.

OP
OP
kneebuster

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
A short receiver drop hitch like this would probably solve the tailgate clearance issue (with bikes off), at the expense of clearance/departure angle:
That would definitely help, if you flipped it over from what the picture shows.

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I got rid of my Thule T2 Pro XT because you cannot lower the tailgate without making contact with the rack just like your Kuat. I love everything about the Thule and will buy another if they redesign at some point.

Just installed my new 1UP Equip D Double and this thing is a work of art.....I purchased it knowing it would not be as smooth of an operation for mounting the bikes or releasing the rack to reposition as the Thule (this is true).

Purchase reasons.

1. The hitch length is long enough where you can adjust the rack to bed clearance to your liking and still be able to use the ball-secure anti-wobble feature.
2. The 1UP Equip D Double has about 2.5" of bed to rack clearance when the bed is in the down position. This was critical to me, as it was possible to accidentally hit the tailgate release on the Rivian and strike the Thule and Kuat racks.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Do you think something like the Kuat Hi-Lo or Hi-Low Pro drop extenders would solve the clearance issues with both the pedal and tailgate? How many more inches does the tailgate need to clear it?

OP
OP
kneebuster

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
Do you think something like the Kuat Hi-Lo or Hi-Low Pro drop extenders would solve the clearance issues with both the pedal and tailgate? How many more inches does the tailgate need to clear it?
I've got a similar drop extender coming on Monday and will repeat the photos.

Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Interesting, I just picked up a NV2.0 Base yesterday. Might need to pick up a 7" extension in the future. Although that pivot is pretty neat...

Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
kneebuster

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
I ordered a 4" drop/riser extension from Amazon and it arrived today.
With it in the drop position, I can now open the tailgate fully as long as I don't have a bike in the inboard position. There are 2 holes on the extension and these pics are with the pin in the hole that minimizes extension.
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T IMG_20220523_162310

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T IMG_20220523_162318
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T IMG_20220523_162357

No surprise, but it improves the space between the pedal and the tailgate.
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T IMG_20220523_162905

Sliding the extension out further and using the 2nd hole with the pin still won't allow opening the tailgate with a bike on the rack in the inboard position. I didn't try, but looking at the pic it "might" work if the pedal was in the 12 o'clock position.
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat NV2 bike rack on R1T IMG_20220523_162639

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Thanks for this KB, much appreciated. I was afraid that was the outcome. Do you think the pedal on an inboard bike would have any better clearance at 6 o'clock?

I also tended to justify the hitch mount it in that one would not necessarily need to lower the tailgate as most of the smaller bed is accessible from either side with tonneau open?

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
This is great info, thanks. Making me lean towards the simplicity of a tail gate pad and ratchet strap to keep it tight.

OP
OP
kneebuster

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
Thanks for this KB, much appreciated. I was afraid that was the outcome. Do you think the pedal on an inboard bike would have any better clearance at 6 o'clock?

I also tended to justify the hitch mount it in that one would not necessarily need to lower the tailgate as most of the smaller bed is accessible from either side with tonneau open?
I don't see 6 being a good position, though I didn't try it. I may try again later in the week. I'd consider a swing-away adapter, but don't want to add that much more weight. I may borrow my neighbor's older 1-up to see how it fares.
Sponsored